[Imperial Rome] Re: Left or right?...

  • jachthondus
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 1, 2003
      Hallo Caesariensis,

      This is an interesting point indeed!

      As the "Dutch" tradionally have been driving on the right-side of the
      road, it could be possible that the "East-Indies" changed their
      traffic-laws only AFTER the Dutch had been kicked-out by the
      Japanese; so during-, or-after WWII!...
      (On the Dutch-islands in the Caribean: Curacau, Bonaire, Aruba etc. (
      what is left from the "West-Indies"), they still are driving on the
      right-side today).

      (Btw. New-chosen Mr. Prime-Minister Balkenende: Couldn't You make the
      gesture to give them back immediately to their OWN-PEOPLE,
      please)?!...

      Greetings, Jach.

      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 3, 2003
        Amazing how far back I had to go for this "line".

        I have tried to look for the problem in the lastest Danish national
        encyclopedia - without look - and then yesterday (as it is now) I
        visited friends who had Lademanns Leksikon (understood by Danes).
        There under højrekørsel (right lane driving)it said:

        the rool, that driving traffic has to keep to the right; prescribed
        in Copenhagen as early as 1757; in many places introduced by
        NAPOLEON Bonaparte.

        In Sweden is started in 1967, and not 1965 as I wrote earlier.

        Mette