      Sent: Saturday, April 18, 2009 4:07 PM
      Subject: [king_quainton] Australian Kings and Ann King & Provis Thorn

      Couple of small updates, responding to Andy's post on 13 April.

      Thomas Layton King jr and Sarah Ann Barker's son Frederick Arthur King was born in 1900 (Reg 7498) in Wirrumbirchip, Victoria (now known as Birchip). The index gives his name as Fred Arthur King.

      I believe Wirrumbirchip is also the birthplace of Emanuel Edward King b 1896 (not South Australia). Had previously registered Emanuel's birth in my tree as "W'chip", Victoria (Reg 16049, just as it appeared on the index. Having found Fred Arthur's birthplace on the Victorian BDMs as Wirrimburchip (sic), I did a bit more research. There are various spellings for this place, which started out as a station (farm) name in 1849. It is not far from Minyip, where several of TL King's other children were born.

      Mark King (b 1862, Morphett Vale, South Australia) son of Charles Edward King b 1829) wrote a family history about 1939. I have a photocopy of some pages from it. It appears he has recorded what he was told by family members and perhaps some of his own research but obviously long before the www!

      As I told Andy off line, some of this information is not correct, however there are some lovely accounts of his father's recollections about the family in England and his own early years settling in Australia, as well as accounts of CE King's brother, Thomas Layton King snr.

      These stories help explain why the family is so spread out in Australia. I will try to find a moment to scan this and if anyone wants a copy I'll be happy to email. But take care to check for errors. There are 4 1/2 pages, then 2 pages that someone else has extracted from his account, with names and relationships and a few dates, some info wrong.

      However Mark King does give Thomas Layton and Mary Ann Broad 6 children: Edward, who came to Australia with his parents (it is stated there, no mention of a Mary/May Ann Broad), then Thomas, Samuel, William, John and Ann. Samuel did not marry. Ann married John Lemon but had no family.

      William died at Hackham, had some family with wife Mary Holly. John married Sarah Holly and died about 1939 at Hackham, a suburb of Adelaide, South Australia, not far from Morphett Vale. They had 2 sons, Ernest and Layton, both married and living in Hackham.

      The English Free BDM index lists Thomas Layton King (snr)'s first wife as Mary Ann Broad, not May Ann. Likewise the daughter there is some question about, shown as May Ann King b Dec Q 1849, is shown on FreeBDM index as Mary Ann.

      Have also found a researcher on Genes Reunited (Raymond E) who includes Ann King (b 1826, Weedon) and her husband Provis Thorne in his tree. This Ann King is the sibling of Charles Edward King and Thomas Layton King (snr, the brothers who emigrated to Australia. She remained in England. There should be quite a number of living descendants of this couple since Provis and Ann had 8 children, about 6 of them surviving childhood.

      I like what Andy has started with the database. Guess what I thought of was for each of us to put up all the information we have but only for 2 types of cases (otherwise too tedious and repetitive):
      1. people in our King et al trees who are brickwalls
      2. people about whom there is some dispute - eg conflicting information.
      By pooling information about these "problem people" we may be able to resolve some of them. What do you think? Is this any more efficient than simply discussing it to and fro in messages - which of course we'd still do?

      Jenni in Perth, Western Australia where we seem to be having an extended summer into autumn - 30C forecast for tomorrow.