Famous Kings (or descendents)

  • andyhyde2002
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 21, 2009
      Here is a good one that I have looked at several times. There is an Agnes King from Swanbourne, Bucks in 1597 (not yet connected to the other Bucks Kings but I'm working on it). She married (possibly) William Scarborough. He had a son, John, born 1637 in Soulbury, Bucks. Here are his notes from my file.

      "John (Baptized 24 Feb 1639) was a London blacksmith, whitesmith and coatsmith. He was a member of the Peel MM of Friends, 65/67 St. John's St., London. On 4 July 1682, John bought 250 acres of land from William Penn. This land located in Longhorne, Middletown TWP., Bucks Co., PA. In October 1682 John, and his son John, arrived in Americaon the ship "Welcome". In 1684 John returned to England to get his wife, Sara Ashby, but she was not Quaker and would not go with him. The persecution of Quakers had declined so John did not return to America. On 15 Oct. 1696 he gave his son, John, power of attorney to manage his land in Pennsylvania. William Penn witnessed this document and his Will, also dated 15 Oct 1696."

      The connection to William Penn and the Quakers is well documented.

      8 generations lower down comes President Herbert Clarke Hoover, the 31st president. Herbert was the son of a quaker so the quaker connection is quite strong through 9 generations.

      I have J.R.R.Tolkein in my tree but not on the King line!!

      Andy
    • Michael Ross
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 15, 2009
        Hi All,

        Have been busy for the last month and a half,  have processed 600 emails on genesreunited for links to King information that I inputted from Andy Hyde's tree.  All that work has yielded about 350 more entries on my tree.  I have downloaded the information to my tribalpages tree tonight.  If you want an updated copy of my gedcom file  (3mb),  please let me know.

        regards,
        Michael Ross
        Melbourne Australia

      • Andy Hyde
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 15, 2009
          Sounds great Michael. I'd love a copy of the GEDCOM. Any chance too of a hint to what is new as finding it maybe difficult as your tree is no doubt getting quite big! I'm glad that my tree came in use too.

          I've not been active with my tree during the summer as there is always something else to do while the days are so long. As the nights draw in I'll get back in front of the computer. I see you have tipped a few more King connections about the King Yahoo group. Thanks for that. I'll think about starting some discussion topics starting at the top of our connected lines to make sure we all agree with the information in the tree. I think we now have so much information that confirming it from all the sources we have will be useful.

          All the best from a now much colder Norway, Thurday it was only  5 deg. C when I went to work!, and it is still supposed to be summer.

          Andy

        • bagnva@netscape.net
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 18, 2009
            Hi Michael, I would certainly like an updated copy of your tree.  Valerie

            Have been busy for the last month and a half,  have processed 600 emails on genesreunited for links to King information that I inputted from Andy Hyde's tree.  All that work has yielded about 350 more entries on my tree.  I have downloaded the information to my tribalpages tree tonight.  If you want an updated copy of my gedcom file  (3mb),  please let me know.

            regards,
            Michael Ross
            Melbourne Australia

            06:10:00
          • bagnva@netscape.net
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 18, 2009
              I don't know Andy, I think is has been cooler this year.  I have just returned from Egypt where I go every year as my daughter lives there and it was much cooler on the north coast, other year I have been able to site on the beach till after sunset in the wind without feeling cold in a wet bathing suit.  I am now back in Oregon and we are going to have a heat wave this weekend. Valerie