I'm a newcomer!

  • mairharding
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 15, 2010
      Hi Everyone!

      I'm new to the group so I'm catching up with all your conversations from the last few years!

      I actually still live in Quainton, we don't like to move far! I'm from the branch that married Grace (the builders). I'm not sure if I'll have any new info, but I can take grave photos etc if anyone wants them.

      As many of you have found, Kings have married Kings, and this happens elsewhere in my tree, Uff and Grace mainly, but it does mean my older relatives knew a lot as they all shared similar relatives etc, and village history.

      I'll catch up before posting anything as I don't want to repeat info you already have, but feel free to ask me anything 'local'!!

      Mair
    • Andy
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 15, 2010
        Hi and welcome to the group. My instinct is that you will have information that is interesting and useful.

        The information in the forum is not especially structured but I can lead you in two directions, up and down!! Up is to find where the Kings of Quainton originated and you will find quite a few snippits of information and some conclusions too although they are quite uncertain.

        Otherwise the links are down, and that it down under, as Edward King married Ann Layton, both from Quainton and two of their children emigrated to Australia. We have connected quite a few parts of this tree.

        As for myself I am descended from William King and Sally Layton who married in Quainton in 1830. Sally was born in the village and William was from Winslow. They ran the Quainton village greengrocer for a while on the village green.

        As for the King / Grace building connection I for one would be interested in any information or stories you have as I think I am missing a great deal.

        Andy Hyde
        Langhus, Norway

      • bagnva@netscape.net
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 15, 2010
          Hi Mair,
          Nice to meet you. I am a direct decedent of Charles King and his family which were overseer of the parish as well as Shipton Lee. I am currently in the middle of trying to complete and Advance Degree in Local History at Oxford on-line.  Our final assignment is an independent study of interest to us.  Of course my interest is related to Quainton.  I do have most of Rodwell publication which will probably form the bases of my research I think or I might do something of migrations to and from Quainton. Do you know whether anybody had don't any further work of the parish since Rodwell's death. I am also interested in what he had mentions were the redundant entries that were in the overseer's book that he didn't include. An insight you have will be appreciated. Valerie

          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 16, 2010

            Welcome Mair

            How wonderful that you have joined us. It is great to have that direct Quainton connection. Have your ancestors simply never moved away, or did someone come back?

            I am descended from one of the two Australian lines. My great great grand father was Charles Edward King (1829, Aylesbury – 1888 South Australia ), son of Edward King (1792 Quainton- 1881 Weedon)  and Anne Layton (1793 Quainton- 1867, Aylesbury). CE King was a pioneering wheat and sheep farmer in South Australia and obviously felt such affection for his homeland that he named his farm property Aylesbury. The location is near Georgetown at http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=aylesbury,+georgetown+sa&sll=-33.359782,138.394089&sspn=0.240014,0.485115&ie=UTF8&hq=aylesbury,&hnear=Georgetown+SA&ll=-33.360804,138.395162&spn=0.015001,0.03032&t=h&z=16

            Another family farm was called Wendover.

            Your forename Mair seems to have a Welsh and Hebrew origin. Are there any connections in your family from these sources?

            Jenni

            Perth, Western Australia

            - looking forward to a King family reunion in Australia some time in future

          • Michael Ross
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 27, 2010
              Mair,

              I have my main tree on genesreunited.com but download monthly to 3 free sites.

              My free tree at tribalpages is available at http://rossmcdonaldvic.tribalpages.com/tribe/browse?userid=rossmcdonaldvic&view=9&rand=602364415  access code 'diggers'

              I am an Australian descendant of King, Thomas Layton 1819 - 1904

              regards,
              Michael Ross
              Noble Park Melbourne Australia

              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 27, 2010

                Hi Michael

                Thanks for access to your tribal pages family tree.   My line is from Edward and Elizabeth (the Tailor line).  By the way, my grandfather’s parents were definitely Robert and Elizabeth – my cousin Mary (Hollies) remembers our grandfather Walter Friday King well  as she is 20 years older than me.   I met her last year after not having contact for 55 years – it’s amazing to meet someone after such a long time.   I have contact with several other cousins from both sides of my family, some of whom I have never met before.    It’s very exciting to see their photos and to talk over the years.  One cousin is coming over from Canada to meet me in August.

                Has anyone else found someone after such a long time??

                Regards to the Group

                Sue Ward (nee King)