Australia visit 2012 - Aylesbury Farm in Gulnare / Georgetown

  • Andy
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 13, 2012
      Thursday 27th December I am planning, as part of my holiday in Aus, to visit Aylesbury Farm at Gulnare / Georgetown North of Adelaide. Charles Edward King b. 1829 d. 1888 (brother of Thomas Layton King) emigrated in 1847 made some money gold digging and moved back to Morphett Vale after 3 years. In 1871 Charles purchased 640 acres at Georgetown for a cost of 1 pound per acre, and the family moved there. They built a stone house and named it Aylesbury. The farm is still there by all accounts.

      GPS coordinates: S 33 23.468 E 138 25.988
      https://maps.google.com/maps?q=-33.391125,138.433134&ll=-33.391174,138.433327&spn=0.001818,0.004128&num=1&t=h&z=19

      I have found a few snippets of information and the local council have been very helpfull. I have put some files in the files section.

      - Newspaper cuttings from 1847 (Charles Edward arrival at Port Adelaide), 1872 (death of Rhonda dn Julia King at Aylesbury), 1911 (Obituary of Joseph King of Aylesbury Farm)
      - Plans of the Georgetown cemetry and in the same file Charles Edward's burial record
      - Picture of Charles Edward's headstone at Georgetown
      - Picture of the King family at Aylesbury in about 1897

      [Back row (left to right):
      William King, Edward Manton (husband of Maria King), Anne Clark (nee King, wife of William Clark), William Clark.

      Front row (left to right): Marian King (nee Welbourne, wife of Mark King), Mark King, Maria King (nee Hunt, widow of Charles Edward King), Joseph King, Emma King (married Samuel Harold Quin 1896), Ginger the dog.]

      Andy