Thomas Layton King

  • Andy Hyde
    Message 1 of 21 , Mar 16, 2007
      I found the following on the internet today - Thomas Layton King b. 1819 in Buckinghamshire, with a large Australian family. The tree shows the father as Edward and mother as Ann Unknown. Edward King and Ann Layton had a son Thomas born between 1817 and 1821 on the 1841 census that, like brother Charles Edward and John, did not appear on any other census, thus I assume they may have all emigrated. This Thomas Layton King looks to be the same Thomas. I have invited the owner of the tree to join the group.

      Andy

    • Jenni Ibrahim
      Message 2 of 21 , Mar 17, 2007

        That’s great Andy! I have Thomas Layton King in my tree. Indeed both he and Charles Edward came to South Australia . The tree owner seems to have some downstream New South Wales Kings. As far as I know, Thoms Layton had 5 children, all born in South Australia . I’m looking forward to his descendant joining us. I have,  from family members, Thomas Layton King’s wife as Mary Ann Broad.

        Jenni

        Message 3 of 21 , Mar 17, 2007
          I have Thomas Layton's wife as Broad from the marriage record in the UK, married in December quarter 1845 in Newington, Surrey. According to Neale, Thomas Layton King had two children with him when he emigrated, both born in the UK. Maybe he had several more after arriving in Australia?

          Andy

          Message 4 of 21 , Apr 12, 2009
            Hi King hunters,

            One thing that still worries me about Thomas Layton King 1819, he died in Morphett Vale,South Australia,  Is he the same Thomas Layton King that arrived on the New South Wales, Australia, Assisted Immigrant Passenger Lists, 1828-1896 and moved to South Australia. Or did he arrive in SA and there is another Thomas Layton King from another line that arrived in NSW?

            Your thoughts or if you come across any info,  it would be much appreciated.

            regards,
            Michael Ross

          • Andy Hyde
            Message 5 of 21 , Apr 12, 2009
              Hi Michael,

              As far as I know there is only one Thomas Layton King that matches the 1819 Thomas Layton King that emigrated to Australia. Birth dates, places and other family members match what I have and have subsequently managed to confirm. However there seems to be a son. Thomas Layton King born 1855 ish maybe who married Sarah Ann Baker and was father to possibly 7 children I know of.

              I seem to be missing details for the Thomas Layton King Jr. I have two of his children children, Frederick Arthur King and Emanuel Edward who are on the 1830 and 1836 voter registrations in Brooklyn, Griffith, NSW. On both of these is a Thomas Layton king but Thomas Layton sr. was dead in 1930.

              George Layton King (b. 1884 - d.1885) was born to a Thomas King and Sarah Ann Barker.

              Unless I have transcribed or copied something wrong I don't have the birth date for Thomas Layton jr. Also on the voter lists and NSW BMD records is a Frederick Arthur and I don't have his birth either. There is a Julie Agnes king at Brooklyn too. Anybody know who this is? There are several other Kings in Griffith on the list but not all in Brooklyn.

              Maybe this connection to Griffith (Brooklyn) clears up or adds to the confusion?

              Thanks

              Andy

              Message 6 of 21 , Apr 13, 2009
                From the dates of birth etc this is a possible scenario for how Thomas Layton King and Charles Edward King with descendents ended up where they did.

                Thomas Layton's brother Charles Edward King emigrated to Australia sailing to Port Adelaide in 1847. Immediatly he went gold digging in Forrest Creek, Victoria for 3 years. He came back to Morphett Vale with £300-£400 and bought some land at Christies Beach on the coast by Morphett Vale. He was back in ca. 1850 and this is when Thomas Layton King emigrates and arrives, via NSW, in Morphett Vale having then two children from England. Maybe Charles Edward invited him over? In 1852 Charles Edward married Maria Hunt (Jackson) a widow and has 10 children in Morphett Vale until 1871 when the last one was born. In 1871 he bought a 640 acre farm at Georgetown, SA and calls the farm "Aylesbury" after the town nearby where they come from in Buckinghamshire UK.

                Thomas Layton King, jr. some time before 1879 moved to the Minyip area but ends up in 1930 in Griffith, NSW at Brooklyn Park. Edward his older brother moved to Minyip area some time between 1871 and 1876. Maybe in 1871 when Uncle Charles Edward King moved to Georgetown and presumably sold the Morphett Vale / Christies Beach property. George William Layton Broad King was born in Minyip and he moved to Western Australia before marrying there in 1919. This leads to Gwen in Katanning. Charles Frank King stayed in the Minyip area and populated the surrounding area with Kings through several generations.

                Of Charles Edwards' children several end up in Katanning, WA. Maria married Edward Manton who died and is burried in Katanning (1909). Sarah died in Katanning in 1929, Rebecca in 1915, Mark had two children in 1906 and 1910 in Katanning. It seems that Mark King went to WA in about 1900 maybe he was first? Annie is the odd one out as she stayed in Victoria (Jenni's line).

                I know there are a lot of stories amoungst the Quainton King group and it could be fun to put it together. For instance did Charles Edward King and Thomas Layton King actually live together at Christies Beach? Who and when did a King buy Brooklyn Park NSW? Who went to Katanning first and did both parts of the tree, Gwen's line and Mark King's descendents know each other in Katanning? How much gold did you need to dig to get £200-£300.

                Just some idle thoughts for the group on a wet and cold Easter Monday in Norway :-)

                Andy

                p.s. I hope the details above are correct.
              • bagnva@netscape.net
                Message 7 of 21 , Apr 13, 2009

                  Hi, sorry for the delay in getting back to you regarding the "Kings" in Australia. I have Charles Edward King, emigrating to Australia on 9 May 1847 Arriving on the 'Theresa' South Australia, but also have him on the immigration index in 1850 which support your theory that he possibly  returned to England at some point prior to 1850.  his marriage to Maria Jackson nee Hunt is listed as Manse, Bible Christians, Gladstone SA 19 may 1853. First child born Morphett Vale 1855, eleventh and twelfth born in Geogetown.  Thomas Layton King married to Mary Ann Broad Dec 1845 Newington Surrey, England had two children prior to emigrating to Australia, leaving from Plymouth 7 Mar 1850 arriving Sydney 29 Jun 1850 . Children Edward Richard, 1847, Mary Ann 1840, .Thomas  ?, William ?. Ann ?, Samuel 4 Aug 1857 and another child unknown.  Second wife Sarah Ann Barker m. 1874. Child Emmanuel Edward King 1896.  Does any one have the birth dates of the other  to Mary Ann. There also seem to be a lot of years inbetween marriage to Sarah Ann and the birth of Emmanuel, are there other children born during this time frame. Valerie

                  Message 8 of 21 , Apr 13, 2009
                    Two of Edward King and Ann Layton's children emigrated. Charles Edward first in 1847 to Adeliade on the Theresa and then Thomas Layton King in 1850 on the Maria to Sydney

                    Here is what I have on the children of Charles Edward and Thomas Layton.

                    Descendants of Charles Edward King
                    ----------------------------------
                    Charles Edward King b. 9 Mar 1829, Whitchurch, Buckinghamshire, England, d. 8 May 1888, Georgetown, South Australia, Australia
                    +Maria Hunt b. Jul 1826, Uffcott, Wiltshire, England, d. 20 Oct 1913, Henley Beach, South Australia
                    |--------1) Maria King b. 25 Aug 1855, Morphett Vale, South Australia, Australia, d. 31 Dec 1939, Subiaco, WA
                    |--------2) Joseph King b. 3 Dec 1856, Morphett Vale, South Australia, Australia, d. 6 Feb 1911, Georgetown, South Australia, Australia
                    |--------3) Sarah King b. 27 Apr 1858, Morphett Vale, South Australia, Australia, d. 22 Aug 1929, Katanning, Western Australia, Australia
                    |--------4) Rebecca King b. 6 Sep 1859, Morphett Vale, South Australia, Australia, d. 21 Nov 1915, Katanning, Western Australia, Australia
                    |--------5) Charles Edward King b. 15 Feb 1861, Morphett Vale, South Australia, Australia, d. 25 Dec 1861, Morphett Vale, South Australia, Australia
                    |--------6) Mark King b. 29 Mar 1862, Morphett Vale, South Australia, Australia, d. 1955
                    |--------7) Eliza King b. 1863, South Australia, Australia, d. 1937
                    |--------8) Annie King b. 12 Oct 1865, Morphett Vale, South Australia, Australia, d. 17 Aug 1958, Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
                    |--------9) William King b. 16 Dec 1866, Morphett Vale, South Australia, Australia, d. 19 Jun 1935
                    |--------10) Emma King b. 17 May 1868, Morphett Vale, South Australia, Australia, d. 22 Nov 1954, Galston, New South Wales, Australia
                    |--------11) Julia King b. 17 Aug 1870, Morphett Vale, South Australia, Australia, d. 17 Aug 1872, Georgetown, South Australia, Australia
                    |--------12) Rhoda King b. 25 Nov 1871, Guinare, , South Australia, Australia, d. 31 Aug 1872, Morphett Vale, South Australia, Australia

                    Descendants of Thomas Layton King sr. (b. 1819)
                    ---------------------------------
                    Thomas Layton King b. 1819, Haddenham, , Buckinghamshire, England, d. 1904, Morphett Vale, South Australia, Australia
                    +Wife 1: May Ann Broad b. 13 Jul 1816, Maidstone, Kent, England, d. 1884, Parkes, Ashburnham County, Nsw, Australia
                    |--------1) Edward King b. 4 Sep 1846, Walworth, Surry, England, d. 1932, Perth, Western Australia
                    |--------2) May Ann King b. Dec Q 1849, Whitchurch, Buckingham, England
                    |--------3) Thomas Layton King b. 1852, Morphett Vale, South Australia, Australia
                    |--------4) William King b. 1 Jul 1856, Morphett Vale, South Australia, Australia
                    |--------5) Samuel King b. 4 Aug 1857, Morphett Vale, South Australia, Australia, d. 29 Nov 1936, Minyip, Victoria, Australia
                    |--------6) John King b. 12 Feb 1860, Morphett Vale, South Australia, Australia
                    +Wife 2: Mary Ann Richards b. 1833, Morphett Vale, South Australia, Australia, d. 1894
                    +Wife 3: Eliza Chapman (Gorman) b. 1835
                    ---------------------------------

                    Descendants of Edward King
                    --------------------------
                    Edward King b. 4 Sep 1846, Walworth, Surry, England, d. 1932, Perth, Western Australia
                    +Francis Woodings (Fanny) b. 19 Sep 1849, Goodwood, Hindmarsh, South Australia, Australia, d. 1912, West Midland, Western Australia, Australia
                    |--------Charlotte Frances King b. 4 Feb 1869, Morphett Vale, South Australia, Australia, d. 1877, Victoria, Australia
                    |--------Walter Edward Malcolm King b. 19 Feb 1871, Hynam, nr Naracoorte, South Australia, Australia
                    |--------Charles Frank King b. Abt 1876, Minyip, Victoria, Australia, d. 1955, Horsham, Victoria, Australia
                    |--------Charlotte Marion King b. 1879, Minyip, Victoria, Australia, d. 1970, North Fremantle, Western Australia, Australia
                    |--------Annie Matilda King b. 1879, Minyip, Victoria, Australia
                    |--------Herbert Andrew King b. 1884, Minyip, Victoria, Australia
                    |--------Ada King b. 1886, Minyip, Victoria, Australia
                    |--------George William Layton Broad King b. 1 Jul 1888, Minyip, Victoria, Australia, d. 1981, Dumbleyung, Western Australia, Australia
                    |--------Jane Harriet King b. 14 Apr 1891, Minyip, Victoria, Australia
                    |--------Richard King b. 14 Apr 1891, Minyip, Victoria, Australia, d. 15 Apr 1891, Minyip, Victoria, Australia
                    --------------------------

                    Descendants of Thomas Layton King, jr.
                    ---------------------------------
                    Thomas Layton King b. 1852, Morphett Vale, South Australia, Australia
                    +Sarah Ann Barker b. 1859, Ararat, Victoria, Australia
                    |--------Mary Ann King b. 1880, Minyip, Victoria, Australia
                    |--------William Hector King b. 1882, Minyip, Victoria, Australia
                    |--------George Layton King b. 10 Apr 1884, Minyip, Victoria, Australia, d. 1885, Minyip, Victoria, Australia
                    |--------Charles David King b. 22 Aug 1885, Minyip, Victoria, Australia
                    |--------Agnes Jane King b. 1889, Minyip, Victoria, Australia
                    |--------Samuel Herbet King b. 1891, d. 1940, Ballarat, Victoria, Australia
                    |--------Frederick Arthur King d. 1963, Scone district, NSW, Australia
                    |--------Emanuel Edward King b. 1896, South Australia, d. 10 Jul 1946, Port Macquarie, New South Wales, Australia
                    ---------------------------------

                    I think the Edward Richard and Mary Ann children to Thomas Layton and Mary Ann Broad are a red herring. I had these at first from Neale Ferguson's tree on WorldConnect but then these new connections with Layton Kings came up and I revised my tree as above.
                    The marriage to Sarah Ann Barker is to Thomas Layton jr. born 1852 in Morphett Vale confirmed by the birth registrations for George Layton (father age 32 in 1884) and Charles David (father aged 33 in 1885). The Australian birth, marriage and death records from Victoria are fantastic. They list lots of useful information, not least the age and birth places of parents but also all other children born to the same couple.

                    Andy

                    Message 9 of 21 , Apr 14, 2009

                      Hi all

                      Some answers to some of your queries.

                      From New South Wales marriages index at http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/cgi-bin/IndexSearch?form=IndexingSearch&cgiurl=/cgi-bin/Index/IndexingMarriage.cgi&event=marriages&sname=king&gname=frederick&fname=locke&mname=julia&frange=1900&trange=1958&place=&x=0&y=0&SessionID=15739103

                      Registration Number

                      Groom's Surname

                      Groom's Given Name(s)

                      Bride's Last Name
                      at Time of Marriage

                      Bride's Given Name(s)

                      District *

                      6891/1929

                      KING

                      FREDERICK A

                      LOCKE

                      JULIA A

                      MARRICKVILLE

                      So I presume the Julie Agnes King living in Griffith in the 1930 electoral roll is nee Julia A Locke who married Frederick Arthur King in Marrickville, a Sydney suburb, in 1929. I think her birth is in Albury, NSW

                      Registration Number

                      Last Name

                      Given Name(s)

                      Father's Given Name(s)

                      Mother's Given Name(s)

                      District

                      10527/1906

                      LOCKE

                      JULIA A

                      PERCIVAL A

                      AGNES I

                      ALBURY

                      Frederick Arthur King died in 1963 in Scone, NSW in the Hunter Valley as Andy has found.  Cannot see his wife’s death in New South Wales but the index is only available to 1978 (or 1979 if you are lucky). I presume he is the son of Thomas Layton King 2.

                      Registration Number

                      Last Name

                      Given Name(s)

                      Father's Given Name(s)

                      Mother's Given Name(s)

                      District

                      27853/1963

                      KING

                      FREDERICK ARTHUR

                      THOMAS LAYTON

                      SARAH

                      SCONE

                      By the way, Anne/ Annie King (my great grandmother) stayed in South Australia , not Victoria .

                      Also recently found that William King, son of Charles Edward King, married Mary Clark in Victoria in 1902. (Mary Clark is no relation to the William Clark whom Annie King married in South Australia ). William and Mary King had children Alfred, Grace, Olive and Kathleen in Victoria , according to Mark king’s account of the family.

                      Andy wrote “Frederick Arthur King and Emanuel Edward who are on the 1830 and 1836 voter registrations in Brooklyn, Griffith , NSW”. These should be the 1930 and 1936 electoral rolls:

                      I realise I have a lot of further information from a family history account given by Charles Edward King’s son Mark King in 1939 about the Kings in Australia and Buckinghamshire too. Will try to transcribe or at least scan it and post on the Yahoo page (it has been typed and is easy to read).

                      For example here’s an interesting bit: (some a bit vague though)

                      Edward King (father of Charles Edward King) was born about 1792 or 1793in Leighton Buzzard or Weedon in Buckinghamshire. An uncle was in a cavalry regiment in Arabia or Africa and was one of 14 survivors who cut their way out after being surrounded by foes, rather than surrender. “My father C E King used to visit that old man who was almost blind”

                      “C E King migrated to South Australia on the barque Theresa arriving on 3 May 1847.”

                      “About 1816/1817 Edward King married a Miss Layton who was a Londoner. She came to Weedon on a visit.  Both were well educated and wrote a good hand. Amongst other things he was a surveyor. He died at 89 years. Thomas Layton King was 10 years older than C E King (ie born about 1819). He married in England and migrated to New South Wales with one son, Edward about 1850 and after a short stay there came to south Australia on the Phantom in August 1851 and settled in Morphett Vale. His family were: Edward, Thomas, Samuel, William, John and Ann. Ann married John Lemon but had no family. All the sons married except Samuel”. William died at Hackham, South Aust and had some family, his wife was Mary Holly.  John also died at Hackham aged 76 years.  His wife was Sarah Holly. Hey had 2 sons, Ernest and Layton , both married and lived at Hackham.”

                      (Emmanuel) Edward King (son of Thomas Layton King 2) married his first cousin Ellen Joyce Clark (daughter of William Clark and Anne King). This is correct. I knew Ellen King, my great aunt. But there are other statements in Mark King’s account which are incorrect. I’ll have to go through and check them all.

                      Jenni

                    • andyhyde2002
                      Message 10 of 21 , Apr 14, 2009
                        Thanks Jenni. And thanks for correcting my typos.

                        My records for Edward (1792) and Ann Layton show him coming from Quainton and her also from Quainton but I'll look into the alternatives if just to, hopefully, rule them out. A quick search shows no Edward King born in Weedon and no Ann Layton born in London.

                        The following answers the question of how Thomas Layton came from Sydney to South Australia that Michael Ross asked about.

                        > "He married in England and migrated to New South Wales with one son,
                        > Edward about 1850 and after a short stay there came to south
                        > Australia on the Phantom in August 1851 and settled in Morphett Vale."

                        I'll look into the Database function and add the main individuals.

                        As we say in Norwegian.... Thanks in advance the the future information you'll scan for us.

                      • bagnva@netscape.net
                        Message 11 of 21 , Apr 15, 2009
                          Hi Andy,
                          Thank you for your quick response and answers.  I have been kind of out of the genealogy frame of mind recently as I am doing this local history course at Exeter.  But here is some additional information;  Mark King buried 12 Sept 1954 Berri NSW, died Mophett Vale SA, Eliza died 5 Dec 1937, buried 6 Dec Katanning WA.  In regards to Edward king born 1846 I have a totally different set of wife and children.  I don't know where I got them from.  But I was just looking on the internet and there is somebody else who has Thomas and Ann with an Edward Richard, they don't have any info more than that but their email address is pswan@..... I do have information on some of the other childrens famlies. Valerie

                          ------------ --------- --------- ----

                          ------------ --------- --------- ---

                          ------------ --------- -----

                          Message 12 of 21 , Apr 16, 2009
                            Hi Valerie, hope you course is going well.

                            Thanks for the extra dates. I have added them to my tree.

                            As for the Edward Richard son of Edward King, this information came from Neale Ferguson I believe. But as the new information has come in with lots of children with Layton in the name I have concluded that Edward Richard was incorrect. His children were all in NSW and did not match any other information I could find.

                            Andy

                          • bagnva@netscape.net
                            Message 13 of 21 , Apr 16, 2009
                              Andy, it took me awhile but I found out who sent me the information on Edward Richard, it was a Neil Gregory, last Feb I received a decendency chart that was 113 pages long. It really blows his chart to pieces if you assumptions are correct. I can see your point that the second name of Layton is carried through on your findings. I think we need further colaboration, maybe one of us should contact this other person I found.  Where did you get your info?  Was it govt. records? I will take a look on Ancestry.com and see if I come up with anything there. Valerie

                              Message 14 of 21 , Apr 16, 2009
                                Re: [king_quainton] Re: Thomas Layton King pswan@... was/is the e-mail address of my wife’s cousin who gave me some of the information that’s now under consideration. I’m trying to work out where our information diverges to see what records need to be obtained to confirm/unconfirm our conclusions.

                                <mailto:pswan@...>

                                Great deals on Dell's most popular laptops - Starting at $479  <http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1220631252x1201390195/aol?redir=http:%2F%2Fad.doubleclick.net%2Fclk%3B213968550%3B35701427%3Bh>

                              • bagnva@netscape.net
                                Message 15 of 21 , Apr 17, 2009
                                  Neale, thank you for looking into this,  please advise me when you find out something.  Valerie

                                  pswan@.... au was/is the e-mail address of my wife’s cousin who gave me some of the information that’s now under consideration. I’m trying to work out where our information diverges to see what records need to be obtained to confirm/unconfirm our conclusions.

                                  &nbs p;

                                  pswan@.... au.. I do have information on some of the other childrens famlies. Valerie

                                  <mailto:pswan@ tpgi.com. au>

                                  Message 16 of 21 , Apr 17, 2009
                                    Hi again Valerie,

                                    I received a GEDCOM from Neil Gregory 13.7.2007 where the only Edward King he had then was Edward, son of Charles and Bett Hughes. This Edward was born in 1794 and not 1792 and married Ann Marks. In this tree he had no Edward Richard. I only received a part of his whole tree but he said it was the bits relevant for the King connections.

                                    He was linked in via the Marks and Brazell lines to Harriet Marks and eventually up to Charles King and Jemima Tomkins via Mary King.

                                    My info came from three or four direct descendents of Thomas Layton and Charles Edward King and confirmed in the Australian state records for NSW, WA and Victoria. These descendents have lots of family stories that confirm the information to a degree quite unusual in Family Tree research but as a lot of the information relates to emigration and gold rush times it seems to be almost folklore and adventure passed on down the generations. Fasinating to read.

                                    Andy

                                    Message 17 of 21 , Apr 17, 2009
                                      Here is my link to the Edward Richard.

                                      Andy

                                      Message 18 of 21 , Apr 17, 2009
                                        Re: SV: [king_quainton] Re: Thomas Layton King Yep, that’s my ancestry.com stuff. I have to check my certificates, I thought I had the marriage of Edward and Emily Cannon but can’t find it to verify if it’s the same Edward Richard.

                                        On 4/17/09 2:01 PM, "Andy Hyde" <andy@...> wrote:

                                        Here is my link to the Edward Richard.

                                        http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=:3022466&id=I593470752

                                        Andy

> [...]

                                        >  Hi, sorry for the delay in getting back  to you regarding the "Kings" in Australia. I have Charles Edward King,  emigrating to Australia on 9 May 1847 Arriving on the 'Theresa' South  Australia, but also have him on the immigration index in 1850 which support  your theory that he possibly? returned to England at some point prior to  1850.? his marriage to Maria Jackson nee Hunt is listed as Manse, Bible  Christians, Gladstone SA 19 may 1853. First child born Morphett Vale 1855,  eleventh and twelfth born in Geogetown.? Thomas Layton King married to Mary  Ann Broad Dec 1845 Newington Surrey, England had two children prior to  emigrating to Australia, leaving from Plymouth 7 Mar 1850 arriving Sydney 29  Jun 1850 . Children Edward Richard, 1847, Mary Ann 1840, .Thomas? ?, William  ?. Ann ?, Samuel 4 Aug 1857 and another child unknown.? Second wife Sarah Ann  Barker m. 1874. Child Emmanuel Edward King 1896.? Does any one have the birth  dates of the other? to Mary Ann. There also seem to be a lot of years  inbetween marriage to Sarah Ann and the birth of Emmanuel, are there other  children born during this time frame. Valerie

                                        Why pay full price? Check out this month's deals on the new AOL Shopping <http://shopping.aol.com/?ncid=emlweinstor00000002> .

                                      • Andy Hyde
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Apr 17, 2009
                                          Hei Neale,

                                          I sent the link just as I received your post.

                                          Here is some information that is interesting.

                                          There is an Edward R King born in Oxford, England abt 1850 to Edward (b 1828 Berkshire, Newbury) and Mary (b. 1829 Oxford), other children Mary Sarah (1852 Oxford) and Minnie J (1858 Middlesex, St Pancras). Edward R is on FreeBMD as Edward Richard Mar Q 1850 and Mary Sarah is also on FreeBMD. They are on the 1851 census and then also the 1861 census. Edward sr and Mary are on the 1871 census but I cant find the children on the 1871 to 1901 censuses (as far as I can see). Edward Richard on your tree Neale married in 1873 and a good marriage age is 23 (i.e. born 1850). Is there an Edward R arriving in Australia between 1861 and 1873 maybe with Mary Sarah and Minnie J? I looked on Ancestry but couldn't fine any except for lonely Edwards which is not enough to proove anything.

                                          Andy

                                          Message 20 of 21 , Apr 19, 2009
                                            Re: SV: SV: [king_quainton] Re: Thomas Layton King I have the following on Edward’s immigration from the NSW State Archives online index, notice Thomas L King also on the manifest:

                                            KING    Edward    3    Maria    1850    Sydney and/or Newcastle    and family    Reel 2136, [4/4786] Page 607; Reel 2461, [4/4918]
                                            KING    Emma    19    Maria    1850    Sydney and/or Newcastle    and husband    Reel 2136, [4/4786] Page 607; Reel 2461, [4/4918]
                                            KING    Mary Anne    34    Maria    1850    Sydney and/or Newcastle    and family    Reel 2136, [4/4786] Page 607; Reel 2461, [4/4918]
                                            KING    Mary Anne    inft    Maria    1850    Sydney and/or Newcastle    and family    Reel 2136, [4/4786] Page 607; Reel 2461, [4/4918]
                                            KING    Morris    20    Maria    1850    Sydney and/or Newcastle    and wife    Reel 2136, [4/4786] Page 607; Reel 2461, [4/4918]
                                            KING    Thomas L    31    Maria    1850    Sydney and/or Newcastle    and family    Reel 2136, [4/4786] Page 607; Reel 2461, [4/4918]

                                            From Sydney Gazette 1 July 1850:

                                            Maria, ship, 163 tons, Marsh, in the stream; H. Moore, agent. About to discharge.

                                            ibid page 174:

                                            June 29 -- Maria, ship, 1014 tons, Captain Stubbs, from Plymouth the 7th March. Passengers - Mr. Marshall, Mater West, 299 immigrants, and Dr. West, Surgeon Superintendent.

                                            ibid page 175:

                                            The Maria has been 114 days from Plymouth. The emigrants are classed as follow :- 16 married couples, 254 single women, (orphan girls), 3 boys, and 10 infants. She sighted the Santipore, with emigrants, for Port Phillip and Sydney, off King's Island, on the 22nd June.

                                          • bagnva
                                            Message 21 of 21 , May 25, 2009
                                              Hi again,
                                              I hope that the two children of Thomas Jr. were on the 1930 and 1936 voter registry. I have wife Sarah Ann Barker, no marriage date, Children: Frederick no birth date, Mary Ann 1880, William Hector 1882, George Layton 10 Apr 1884, Charles David 22 Aug 1885, Agnes Jane 1889, Samuel Herbert 1891 and Emanuel 1896. Thomas Jr. birth date 1852 Morphett. Valerie