I need your honest opinion!!

  • kuri_noone
    Message 1 of 19 , 13 Apr 00:28
      Hi guys!!

      Okay, I'm just going to put this question out to all of you and I need your honest, honest answer, please!!

      Take the Dark Prince trilogy and strip it of everything that makes it Harry Potter. Take away the character names, take away the Prophecy, the scar, the penesive, dememntors, Hogwarts etc.etc. Take all that away and replace it with something that's original(created by me.) Do you think the story would be as popular as it is? Would any of you read it, perhaps buy it?

      The reason I'm asking, is because many have advised me to turn my fanfiction into my own original story and self publish it. I'm not too sure it would work, because in my mind, the story works because it's set in the Harry Potter world. It works because the Father-Son dynamic is Voldemort and Harry Potter. Replace them with two orignal characters and I don't think it would have the same charm.

      It would take an incrediable amount of rewriting and editing to change the DP trilogy into my own original fiction, but I think I might just be able to pull it off. But would it be worth it? If all of you get the chance to download the E-Book version, or download it on Kindle or even purchase a hard copy (to keep next to the original Harry Potter series) would you?

      What do you guys think? I have over 760 members in this yahoo group, I would really value your opinion.

      Thanks

      Kurinoone
    • Yee Nee
      Message 2 of 19 , 13 Apr 02:32
        Dear Kuinoone,

        I enjoy your Dark Prince story very much. But to convert it into another original story, to be honest, I have some concerns.

        Basically, your story line is quite different from Rowling's, but in my opinion there are a few points need to modified. Having too many similar elements as Harry Potter may cause you problems on plagiarizing.
        (1) Voldemont stole Harry at his fifteen months should not be due to the prophecy.
        (2) Hogwarts should not be the same in your new story.
        (3) Magic may be another thing you should eliminate for your own story.

        With proven excellent story telling skills, I am confident that you can create something more outstanding and I look forward to reading more new stories from you. I am willing to pay for an brilliant fiction. I am not sure how the others will response, but how to arouse readers their interest in reading your books is easy said than done. But if you don't try, you never knows.

        Good luck to you and wish you success.

        Regards
        Yeenee

        寄件人︰ kuri_noone <kuri_noone@...>
        收件人︰ kurinoone_80@...
        傳送日期︰ 2012年04月13日 (週五) 3:28 PM
        主題︰ [kurinoone_80] I need your honest opinion!!

[...]

      • sanagdr16
        Message 3 of 19 , 13 Apr 02:34
          Hi!

          In spite of love your stories and really think they are amazing and i'm so glad to discover them in internet, I believe they are a so huge success because we already know what Harry Potter is. I think it will be very difficult create a story with the same general lines of DW, but without the magic world, without magic, without characters that are so well defined by JKR, and you just have to put their names and all people know who are you talking about.

          But, if you really want to have something publish, do it. But it will not be the same, because you won't have a background already create and very popular.

          I really love what you do with the DW and you write very well! I wish you luck!

          Best Regards,
          Susan
        • kuri_noone
          Message 4 of 19 , 13 Apr 03:48
            Hi

            Thank you so much for your reply. I would be changing all of the points you mentioned (and more) to make the story more original. At this early stage, I think the only similarity would be the storyline, the dynamics of the main characters and a very different kind of magic.

            Thank you for taking the time to reply, I'm just so unsure of what I should do. I do have plot bunnies jumping all around in my mind, and I have a faint hope that I may be able to put it together but...I guess I'll have to wait and see what the majority say!

            Thanks so much!!

            Kurinoone

            --- In kurinoone_80@..., Yee Nee <liuyeenee@...> wrote:

            > Dear Kuinoone,
            >
            > I enjoy your Dark Prince story very much. But to convert it into another original story, to be honest, I have some concerns.
            >
            > Basically, your story line is quite different from Rowling's, but in my opinion there are a few points need to modified. Having too many similar elements as Harry Potter may cause you problems on plagiarizing.
            > (1) Voldemont stole Harry at his fifteen months should not be due to the prophecy.
            > (2) Hogwarts should not be the same in your new story.
            > (3) Magic may be another thing you should eliminate for your own story.
            >
            > With proven excellent story telling skills, I am confident that you can create something more outstanding and I look forward to reading more new stories from you. I am willing to pay for an brilliant fiction. I am not sure how the others will response, but how to arouse readers their interest in reading your books is easy said than done. But if you don't try, you never knows.
            >
            > Good luck to you and wish you success.
            >
            > Regards
            > Yeenee
            >

            > ________________________________
            > 寄件人︰ kuri_noone <kuri_noone@...>
            > æ"¶ä»¶äººï¸° kurinoone_80@...
            > 傳送日期︰ 2012å¹´04月13日 (週äº") 3:28 PM
            > 主題︰ [kurinoone_80] I need your honest opinion!!
            >

            > Hi guys!!
            >
            > Okay, I'm just going to put this question out to all of you and I need your honest, honest answer, please!!
            >
            > Take the Dark Prince trilogy and strip it of everything that makes it Harry Potter. Take away the character names, take away the Prophecy, the scar, the penesive, dememntors, Hogwarts etc.etc. Take all that away and replace it with something that's original(created by me.) Do you think the story would be as popular as it is? Would any of you read it, perhaps buy it?
            >
            > The reason I'm asking, is because many have advised me to turn my fanfiction into my own original story and self publish it. I'm not too sure it would work, because in my mind, the story works because it's set in the Harry Potter world. It works because the Father-Son dynamic is Voldemort and Harry Potter. Replace them with two orignal characters and I don't think it would have the same charm.
            >
            > It would take an incrediable amount of rewriting and editing to change the DP trilogy into my own original fiction, but I think I might just be able to pull it off. But would it be worth it? If all of you get the chance to download the E-Book version, or download it on Kindle or even purchase a hard copy (to keep next to the original Harry Potter series) would you?
            >
            > What do you guys think? I have over 760 members in this yahoo group, I would really value your opinion.
            >
            > Thanks
            >
            > Kurinoone

          • kuri_noone
            Message 5 of 19 , 13 Apr 03:54
              Hi!

              Thanks for your reply. See, this is what I feel too. I'm scared that without the magic of Harry Potter, the story might not be good enough.

              I do have faith in my writing, don't get me wrong, I'm not fishing for compliments here, but I'm concerned if my storytelling really is as good as you guys say or if I just have an incrediable, loving fanbase that are just too good to me! :)

              I'm trying to envision a story similiar to TDW and imagining it without any Harry Potter elements and I just don't know if it would work the same 'magic'.

              I guess, I'll wait to see what the majority of the fanbase say.

              Thanks again!!

              Kurinoone

              --- In kurinoone_80@..., "sanagdr16" <susanasilva.gdr@...> wrote:

              > Hi!
              >
              > In spite of love your stories and really think they are amazing and i'm so glad to discover them in internet, I believe they are a so huge success because we already know what Harry Potter is. I think it will be very difficult create a story with the same general lines of DW, but without the magic world, without magic, without characters that are so well defined by JKR, and you just have to put their names and all people know who are you talking about.
              >
              > But, if you really want to have something publish, do it. But it will not be the same, because you won't have a background already create and very popular.
              >
              > I really love what you do with the DW and you write very well! I wish you luck!
              >
              > Best Regards,
              > Susan

            • Marina
              Message 6 of 19 , 13 Apr 04:37
                Hi kurinoone,

                I really love the Dark Prince trilogy and would love to have it in a real book, even if it is a bit different and rewritten to not include Harry Potter elements.
                Maybe the new book won't have the same effect on us, fellow readers, who have read it in the Harry Potter world. However, I am sure that you will get many many more new readers that are not used to seeing the story in another setting and will love it!

                All in all, I say just go for it! You never know what will happen unless you try!

                Wish you best of luck!

                Marina

                --- In kurinoone_80@..., "kuri_noone" <kuri_noone@...> wrote:

                > Hi guys!!
                >
                > Okay, I'm just going to put this question out to all of you and I need your honest, honest answer, please!!
                >
                > Take the Dark Prince trilogy and strip it of everything that makes it Harry Potter. Take away the character names, take away the Prophecy, the scar, the penesive, dememntors, Hogwarts etc.etc. Take all that away and replace it with something that's original(created by me.) Do you think the story would be as popular as it is? Would any of you read it, perhaps buy it?
                >
                > The reason I'm asking, is because many have advised me to turn my fanfiction into my own original story and self publish it. I'm not too sure it would work, because in my mind, the story works because it's set in the Harry Potter world. It works because the Father-Son dynamic is Voldemort and Harry Potter. Replace them with two orignal characters and I don't think it would have the same charm.
                >
                > It would take an incrediable amount of rewriting and editing to change the DP trilogy into my own original fiction, but I think I might just be able to pull it off. But would it be worth it? If all of you get the chance to download the E-Book version, or download it on Kindle or even purchase a hard copy (to keep next to the original Harry Potter series) would you?
                >
                > What do you guys think? I have over 760 members in this yahoo group, I would really value your opinion.
                >
                > Thanks
                >
                > Kurinoone

              • Bookworm.Stewart
                Message 7 of 19 , 13 Apr 05:29
                  I think that if you think you can turn your fanfic into a good original, you should go for it. As a novelist myself, I've been tempted to try much the same thing with my own fanfics (which aren't nearly as popular as yours, by the way), but I haven't figured out a way to do so effectively. If you have, then I'd be glad to read it, and even purchase it. Your writing is amazing, and not just because it is borrowing someone else's world. I honestly think that you could do it, despite the hugeness of changing big plot points that are Harry Potter based.

                  On a side note; with as many members of this group as there are, if even half of them pledged to buy your book, you've got good standing for a newly self-published author. ;)

                  Oh, and also, I'd love a hard copy of the book rather than just an e-book, if you did decide to publish it. I don't like reading books electronically (ironically enough, with how much fanfiction I end up reading online...).

                  - Ella

                  --- In kurinoone_80@..., "kuri_noone" <kuri_noone@...> wrote:

                  > Hi guys!!
                  >
                  > Okay, I'm just going to put this question out to all of you and I need your honest, honest answer, please!!
                  >
                  > Take the Dark Prince trilogy and strip it of everything that makes it Harry Potter. Take away the character names, take away the Prophecy, the scar, the penesive, dememntors, Hogwarts etc.etc. Take all that away and replace it with something that's original(created by me.) Do you think the story would be as popular as it is? Would any of you read it, perhaps buy it?
                  >
                  > The reason I'm asking, is because many have advised me to turn my fanfiction into my own original story and self publish it. I'm not too sure it would work, because in my mind, the story works because it's set in the Harry Potter world. It works because the Father-Son dynamic is Voldemort and Harry Potter. Replace them with two orignal characters and I don't think it would have the same charm.
                  >
                  > It would take an incrediable amount of rewriting and editing to change the DP trilogy into my own original fiction, but I think I might just be able to pull it off. But would it be worth it? If all of you get the chance to download the E-Book version, or download it on Kindle or even purchase a hard copy (to keep next to the original Harry Potter series) would you?
                  >
                  > What do you guys think? I have over 760 members in this yahoo group, I would really value your opinion.
                  >
                  > Thanks
                  >
                  > Kurinoone

                • kuri_noone
                  Message 8 of 19 , 13 Apr 05:30
                    Hi Marina

                    Thanks for your reply! I really hope that if there is a new book, it has an even stronger effect on all of you that have read and loved the DP trilogy!

                    Thanks so much for your encouragement! It means a lot to me! :)

                    Kurinoone

                    --- In kurinoone_80@..., "Marina" <cherryl@...> wrote:

                    > Hi kurinoone,
                    >
                    > I really love the Dark Prince trilogy and would love to have it in a real book, even if it is a bit different and rewritten to not include Harry Potter elements.
                    > Maybe the new book won't have the same effect on us, fellow readers, who have read it in the Harry Potter world. However, I am sure that you will get many many more new readers that are not used to seeing the story in another setting and will love it!
                    >
                    > All in all, I say just go for it! You never know what will happen unless you try!
                    >
                    > Wish you best of luck!
                    >
                    > Marina
                    >

                    > --- In kurinoone_80@..., "kuri_noone" <kuri_noone@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Hi guys!!
                    > >
                    > > Okay, I'm just going to put this question out to all of you and I need your honest, honest answer, please!!
                    > >
                    > > Take the Dark Prince trilogy and strip it of everything that makes it Harry Potter. Take away the character names, take away the Prophecy, the scar, the penesive, dememntors, Hogwarts etc.etc. Take all that away and replace it with something that's original(created by me.) Do you think the story would be as popular as it is? Would any of you read it, perhaps buy it?
                    > >
                    > > The reason I'm asking, is because many have advised me to turn my fanfiction into my own original story and self publish it. I'm not too sure it would work, because in my mind, the story works because it's set in the Harry Potter world. It works because the Father-Son dynamic is Voldemort and Harry Potter. Replace them with two orignal characters and I don't think it would have the same charm.
                    > >
                    > > It would take an incrediable amount of rewriting and editing to change the DP trilogy into my own original fiction, but I think I might just be able to pull it off. But would it be worth it? If all of you get the chance to download the E-Book version, or download it on Kindle or even purchase a hard copy (to keep next to the original Harry Potter series) would you?
                    > >
                    > > What do you guys think? I have over 760 members in this yahoo group, I would really value your opinion.
                    > >
                    > > Thanks
                    > >
                    > > Kurinoone

                  • kuri_noone
                    Message 9 of 19 , 13 Apr 06:02
                      Hi Ella!

                      Thank you so much for your kind reply. It's very encouraging and did a great job of settling my nerves ;)

                      LOL! yeah, that's true, I should get a plegde from all the members! ;) I would be so grateful if even half of the members here bought a copy! It would make me ecstatically happy!!

                      Don't worry, if it does happen, I would probably do a Publish on Demand thing through Amazon (as well as the e-book publishing) so you can get a hard copy if that's what you desire.

                      Gosh, I'm starting to feel really good about this. I already have Harry's alternate name picked out and the beginning mapped out in my head. But there is sooooo much more to work out and see if it all clicks in place. We'll see!!

                      Thanks again, Ella and may you find sucess too!!

                      Kurinoone

                      --- In kurinoone_80@..., "Bookworm.Stewart" <bookworm.stewart@...> wrote:

                      > I think that if you think you can turn your fanfic into a good original, you should go for it. As a novelist myself, I've been tempted to try much the same thing with my own fanfics (which aren't nearly as popular as yours, by the way), but I haven't figured out a way to do so effectively. If you have, then I'd be glad to read it, and even purchase it. Your writing is amazing, and not just because it is borrowing someone else's world. I honestly think that you could do it, despite the hugeness of changing big plot points that are Harry Potter based.
                      >
                      > On a side note; with as many members of this group as there are, if even half of them pledged to buy your book, you've got good standing for a newly self-published author. ;)
                      >
                      > Oh, and also, I'd love a hard copy of the book rather than just an e-book, if you did decide to publish it. I don't like reading books electronically (ironically enough, with how much fanfiction I end up reading online...).
                      >
                      > - Ella
                      >

                      > --- In kurinoone_80@..., "kuri_noone" <kuri_noone@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Hi guys!!
                      > >
                      > > Okay, I'm just going to put this question out to all of you and I need your honest, honest answer, please!!
                      > >
                      > > Take the Dark Prince trilogy and strip it of everything that makes it Harry Potter. Take away the character names, take away the Prophecy, the scar, the penesive, dememntors, Hogwarts etc.etc. Take all that away and replace it with something that's original(created by me.) Do you think the story would be as popular as it is? Would any of you read it, perhaps buy it?
                      > >
                      > > The reason I'm asking, is because many have advised me to turn my fanfiction into my own original story and self publish it. I'm not too sure it would work, because in my mind, the story works because it's set in the Harry Potter world. It works because the Father-Son dynamic is Voldemort and Harry Potter. Replace them with two orignal characters and I don't think it would have the same charm.
                      > >
                      > > It would take an incrediable amount of rewriting and editing to change the DP trilogy into my own original fiction, but I think I might just be able to pull it off. But would it be worth it? If all of you get the chance to download the E-Book version, or download it on Kindle or even purchase a hard copy (to keep next to the original Harry Potter series) would you?
                      > >
                      > > What do you guys think? I have over 760 members in this yahoo group, I would really value your opinion.
                      > >
                      > > Thanks
                      > >
                      > > Kurinoone

                    • Jeff Strauser
                      Message 10 of 19 , 13 Apr 09:21
                        I think you should do it but after reading some of the other replies I think you should do still do magic just do it without a wand, you could even include Merlin since he's an actual legend!! Granted I'll buy the book no matter what ya do!!!

                        Message 11 of 19 , 13 Apr 09:45
                          Awww, you're so sweet!!! :)

                          Thanks for that, I've got one confirmed sale ;)

                          Yeah, I will have magic in it, the story doesn't quite work without magic but it won't be like JK Rowling's magic, no wands and such.

                          Thanks so much Jeff, your opinion really matters!!

                          Kurinoone

                          --- In kurinoone_80@..., Jeff Strauser <jeffstrauser@...> wrote:

                          > I think you should do it but after reading some of the other replies I think you should do still do magic just do it without a wand, you could even include Merlin since he's an actual legend!! Granted I'll buy the book no matter what ya do!!!
                          >

                          > ________________________________

                        • The Squigglyhopper
                          Message 12 of 19 , 13 Apr 11:40
                            There is no reason why you could not make a great original success out of your story.
                            Though I have not yet finished any of my ideas - I have started many and will finish one day - all of my stories come straight from fanfics I have created about Harry Potter, LOTR, Darren Shan and many others. It is amazing how easy it is to create a story based on someone else's characters into something completely different. All you need is the imagination and time to daydream.

                            As for if anyone will buy it, you need writing talent and you have that in spades. (though please watch out for typos!)

                            Even with magic you could still make your story unique. After all , JK Rowling didn't invent magic, people still write books with magic in. What you need is an idea that no-one else has had and you are set.

                            The hard thing is the back ground. People care about Harry because they have seen him in other stories, they know him through and through. What you need to do is create an entire new universe with a full background and story and perhaps make the events of 'The Darkness Within' into a part two. You could then add sequels similiar in form to your Dark Prince sequels. The opportunities are endless.

                            The only thing that upsets me about this is that if you create original work based on the Dark Prince Trilogy, you'll have to delete your stories from the web. So many stories gone because the authors have decided to delve into original work!

                            Keep up the good work!

                            --- In kurinoone_80@..., "kuri_noone" <kuri_noone@...> wrote:

                            > Hi guys!!
                            >
                            > Okay, I'm just going to put this question out to all of you and I need your honest, honest answer, please!!
                            >
                            > Take the Dark Prince trilogy and strip it of everything that makes it Harry Potter. Take away the character names, take away the Prophecy, the scar, the penesive, dememntors, Hogwarts etc.etc. Take all that away and replace it with something that's original(created by me.) Do you think the story would be as popular as it is? Would any of you read it, perhaps buy it?
                            >
                            > The reason I'm asking, is because many have advised me to turn my fanfiction into my own original story and self publish it. I'm not too sure it would work, because in my mind, the story works because it's set in the Harry Potter world. It works because the Father-Son dynamic is Voldemort and Harry Potter. Replace them with two orignal characters and I don't think it would have the same charm.
                            >
                            > It would take an incrediable amount of rewriting and editing to change the DP trilogy into my own original fiction, but I think I might just be able to pull it off. But would it be worth it? If all of you get the chance to download the E-Book version, or download it on Kindle or even purchase a hard copy (to keep next to the original Harry Potter series) would you?
                            >
                            > What do you guys think? I have over 760 members in this yahoo group, I would really value your opinion.
                            >
                            > Thanks
                            >
                            > Kurinoone

                          • kuri_noone
                            Message 13 of 19 , 13 Apr 12:26
                              Hi!

                              Thank you so much for your reply and your kind words.

                              Don't worry, I won't be deleting anything, not anytime soon anyway. I will still continue to write the oneshots and the rewrite, in between doing the original.

                              LOL, Yeah, I need to watch out for the typos. That's another thing bothering me, self publication means my own proofreading and editing. (though my sisters have encouraged me that they will proof read it if I write my own original story)

                              I kind of have the magic aspect worked out. I need to write it into the story to see if it will work.

                              As for the characters, that's what will be the truly testing part, creating characters that readers care about and connect to. I guess trying is the only way of finding out if it can be done ;)

                              But, really, thanks so much for your kind encouragement, it's really helped :)

                              Kurinoone.

                              --- In kurinoone_80@..., "The Squigglyhopper" <squigglyhopper@...> wrote:

> [...]
                              > >
                              > > It would take an incrediable amount of rewriting and editing to change the DP trilogy into my own original fiction, but I think I might just be able to pull it off. But would it be worth it? If all of you get the chance to download the E-Book version, or download it on Kindle or even purchase a hard copy (to keep next to the original Harry Potter series) would you?
                              > >
                              > > What do you guys think? I have over 760 members in this yahoo group, I would really value your opinion.

                            • sketching_dreams
                              Message 14 of 19 , 14 Apr 22:21
                                I think you are correct in your belief that a major reason why this works so well is because of the original story.

                                That being said, I think you could make this work by doing the same thing.

                                Write an original story, using the same basic elements: magic, hero, family tragedy....etc as part 1, then do a flip in part 2 where you have the alternate version....

                                maybe he's in a coma or something and so he is seeing everything differently, he's trying to get back to where he believes he belongs....blah blah (you can come up with something way better, and not so cliche, I'm sure.)

                                -kinda be interesting if you had an 'inception' twist where he thinks he's woken up and goes about only to realize he's in another dream...and how does he return to reality-

                                anyways....that was long winded and I'm not sure if its helpful but...

                                It'd be important to have several readers and editors to give you good hard feedback and not just stroking your ego (even though I do believe you have some serious talent).

                                --:-D

                                Goodluck!
                              • kuri_noone
                                Message 15 of 19 , 15 Apr 00:15
                                  Hi!

                                  Thanks so much for your advice.

                                  LOL, an 'inception' twist would sure be interesting, but I think I've the main plotlines in order and hopefully it'll work. :)

                                  I was thinking, once I finish the first chapter, I could put it up here, as a sample chapter and gain a response from all of you, to see what you think, not only of the original characters but the writing, setting etc. LOL, don't worry, I've got my team of readers ready, and they won't be stroking my ego, not at all!! (It's my hubby and my sisters, they are brutally honest, sometimes a little too brutal;)

                                  Aww, thanks, you're so sweet!!

                                  Thanks again for your reply, it was very helpful!!

                                  Kurinoone
                                  --- In kurinoone_80@..., "sketching_dreams" <crescentcurl@...> wrote:

                                  > I think you are correct in your belief that a major reason why this works so well is because of the original story.
                                  >
                                  > That being said, I think you could make this work by doing the same thing.
                                  >
                                  > Write an original story, using the same basic elements: magic, hero, family tragedy....etc as part 1, then do a flip in part 2 where you have the alternate version....
                                  >
                                  > maybe he's in a coma or something and so he is seeing everything differently, he's trying to get back to where he believes he belongs....blah blah (you can come up with something way better, and not so cliche, I'm sure.)
                                  >
                                  > -kinda be interesting if you had an 'inception' twist where he thinks he's woken up and goes about only to realize he's in another dream...and how does he return to reality-
                                  >

                                  > anyways....that was long winded and I'm not sure if its helpful but...
                                  >
                                  > It'd be important to have several readers and editors to give you good hard feedback and not just stroking your ego (even though I do believe you have some serious talent).
                                  >
                                  > --:-D
                                  >
                                  > Goodluck!

                                • massiel diaz
                                  Message 16 of 19 , 18 Apr 15:41
                                    I'll definitely buy it!! :) go ahead! i'll love to be able to read it while traveling and without the need for wi-fi :)

                                    -Massiel
                                  • kuri_noone
                                    Message 17 of 19 , 19 Apr 01:33
                                      :)

                                      Thanks!! Your support is much appreciated!! :)

                                      Kurinoone

                                      --- In kurinoone_80@..., massiel diaz <mssl_diaz@...> wrote:

                                      > I'll definitely buy it!! :) go ahead! i'll love to be able to read it while traveling and without the need for wi-fi :)
                                      >
                                      > -Massiel

                                    • tinnie_88
                                      Message 18 of 19 , 19 Apr 02:36
                                        Hi,

                                        i would def. buy it. i love your writing style and i'm convinced that you'll be able to turn the ff into a wonderfull original story!
                                        You're one of the authors whose published work i'll happily support&buy (even if it'll be a kindle ebook... and i don't even have an kindle! -_-).

                                        Kriska

                                        --- In kurinoone_80@..., "kuri_noone" <kuri_noone@...> wrote:

                                        > Hi guys!!
                                        >
                                        > Okay, I'm just going to put this question out to all of you and I need your honest, honest answer, please!!
                                        >
                                        > Take the Dark Prince trilogy and strip it of everything that makes it Harry Potter. Take away the character names, take away the Prophecy, the scar, the penesive, dememntors, Hogwarts etc.etc. Take all that away and replace it with something that's original(created by me.) Do you think the story would be as popular as it is? Would any of you read it, perhaps buy it?
                                        >
                                        > The reason I'm asking, is because many have advised me to turn my fanfiction into my own original story and self publish it. I'm not too sure it would work, because in my mind, the story works because it's set in the Harry Potter world. It works because the Father-Son dynamic is Voldemort and Harry Potter. Replace them with two orignal characters and I don't think it would have the same charm.
                                        >
                                        > It would take an incrediable amount of rewriting and editing to change the DP trilogy into my own original fiction, but I think I might just be able to pull it off. But would it be worth it? If all of you get the chance to download the E-Book version, or download it on Kindle or even purchase a hard copy (to keep next to the original Harry Potter series) would you?
                                        >
                                        > What do you guys think? I have over 760 members in this yahoo group, I would really value your opinion.
                                        >
                                        > Thanks
                                        >
                                        > Kurinoone

                                      • kuri_noone
                                        Message 19 of 19 , 19 Apr 04:35
                                          Hi!!

                                          Awww, you're so sweet! Don't worry, I'll make sure the book's available in hard copy!! ;)

                                          Thanks so much for your wonderful support!!

                                          Cheers!

                                          Kurinoone