330Re: Education Games for Children

    Aug 22, 2007
      Scrabble is an excellent game in its simplicity. I would add Chess,
      not because its a classic, but because it helps cultivate thinking
      ahead which is essential. Risk would (in this respect) get my thumbs
      up as a gateway game.

      --- In lbgc@..., David Bullions <davebullions@...>
      wrote:

      > I have to agree with Keith on this.
      > Hare and Tortoise & Alles im Eimer (or Bucket King) have both been
      played at the club and both have been a success. Bob's children have
      played both and, I think, enjoyed the experience.
      > Scrabble, obviously, is good for spelling etc.
      > Risk: good for basic geography, bearing in mind that the scale is
      distorted and that boundaries have almost certainly been tweaked for
      gaming purposes.
      > Suppenkasper: Don't know this one, so can't comment.
      > Dave
      >

      > ________________________________
      > > To: lbgc@...
      > > From: keithdowsett@...
      > > Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2007 13:31:26 +0000
      > > Subject: [lbgc] RE: Education Games for Children
      > >
      > > Hi George,
      > > Here's my suggestions...
      > > Hare and Tortoise: some basic arithmetic, and a very important
      gaming
      > > skill - planning ahead
      > > Scrabble: vocabulary, spelling and arithmetic (with a suitable
      handicap
      > > for the adults)
      > > Suppenkasper: A bit of arithmetic and lots of jokes about fat
      people!!
      > > Alles im Eimer: Simple arithmetic and lots of entertainment.
      > > Risk: Learning where Kamchatka is (not exactly useful
      unfortunately).
      > > Keith.

      Switch

      http://www.newhotmail.co.uk

      > Feel like a local wherever you go with BackOfMyHand.com
      > http://www.backofmyhand.com

    • Show all 8 messages in this topic