372Re: LBGC awards 2007 - voting system

    Jan 2, 2008
      When it comes to the vote stage here is what i had in mind:

      Each member to have up to 3 votes - to vote for a 1st, 2nd and 3rd place
      in each category - members can choose to use less than all 3 and eg
      just vote for a 1st place if they wish.

      Once all votes rec'd/voting closed, there are then 3 stages of
      elimination:

      1. All 1st place votes are counted, with the lowest rank of games in
      terms of votes being eliminated.

      2. Add all 2nd place votes to any games not eliminated. Votes for games
      that are subsequently eliminated are wasted. Lowest rank of games get
      eliminated again.

      3. Add all 3rd place votes to surviving games. Highest rank games wins.

      Number of 1st place votes settle a tie. If a tie still exists, tie
      stands. If a single winner is determined at end of any stage, election
      ends for that category.

      Hopefully by this method, there is a nice balance between being a
      favourite game and a game with broad support. A game that is one or two
      members favourite won't win unless there is fair support for it by means
      of 2nd and 3rd place votes, but well liked games may not be liked enough
      to secure survival past the 1st stage. Thus ideally the winners will
      have at least some strong support with general group appeal. Who knows?
      - it will be interesting to see what happens.

      --- In lbgc@..., "Neil Parker" <welfarerights@...> wrote:

      > Ok chaps. Here's an idea. Lets vote for our favourite games for the
      past
      > year.
      >
      > Each member gets to nominate five candidates in each of four
      categories
      > -
      >
      > a) Game of the Year (can be any game played);
      >
      > b) Best new game (published or released in 2007);
      >
      > c) Best game mechanic; and
      >
      > d) Best filler.
      >
      > To be eligible for a nomination, by any member, a game must have been
      > played at least once at the club in 2007. It doesn't matter if a
      > nominating member hasn't played that game or has played it outside the
      > club as long as the club has played it.
      >
      > When i have more time i'll post the details of voting but to begin
      with
      > for the first 2 weeks in Jan, i'm looking for nominations for voting
      > only. Any member interested can email me with up to 5 nominations for
      > each category.
      >
      > I'll then collate the nominations and post the results of the top 5
      > nominations in each category in readiness for the vote stage - details
      > on voting will follow as identified.
      >
      > To give you all a reminder of some of the games the club has played
      here
      > is an aide memoire (in no particular order):
      >
      > Twilight Imperium 3, Struggle of Empires, Age of Steam, Railroad
      Tycoon,
      > Perikles, Container, Brass, Hamburgum, Condottiere, Cash and Guns,
      > Arkham Horror, Combat Commander and Imperial - please feel free to
      > advertise any other games we have played to ensure members are aware
      of
      > the options. I cant remember if Fury of Dracula, Werewolf and Diamant
      > have been played this year or not.
      >
      > To get you thinking on mechanics i'll give you an idea: TI3 strategy
      > cards, Imperial's Rondel, Struggle of Empires' alliance auction,
      > Perikles' nomination/election phase, Combat Commander's card
      selection,
      > Arkham Horror's stat sliders and Container's scoring system.
      >
      > Ok so the first phase is to email me with your nominations.
      >
      > Cheers
      >
      > Neil.

    • Show all 7 messages in this topic