421Perikles rules/league

    Jan 15, 2008
      The rules re influence tiles refer to not picking the same colour in the
      round - not phase - but the clarification makes it clear - only one
      influence tile per colour per phase - should make it a tighter affair.

      The rules re 2 influence cubes (rather than the victory points) for a
      defender if no attacker are in the rules - don't know why i missed that
      one. Should make the battles phase more interesting as we may well get
      less token attacks and players may deliberately avoid attacking to
      prevent the defender picking up 3+ victory points for the battles.

      In the 3 games played a new player has won twice. Do we need a bonus
      point for new players? - i reckon we can abolish that - it does penalise
      those of us, yes including me, who played the very first game - we also
      don't need to encourage players to play this game - the interest is
      there.

      Thanks to Josep for pointing out the clarifications on the geek -
      although we enjoyed the variant we did play, i think we should start to
      play the correct version.

      --- In lbgc@..., "jmalmolda" <jmalmolda@...> wrote:

      > In the other post you did with the 16 possible outcomes (copied from
      > BGG) the rule about getting cubes instead of VPs when a battle is not
      > attacked is very clear, we can always change that, but i'd give the
      > designer's view a go before deciding
      >
      > --- In lbgc@..., "Neil Parker" vedantananda@ wrote:
      > >

      > > Hi - i'll double check when i get home, but from memory the rules
      are as
      > > follows:
      > >
      > > Tile selection - any, but not two of the same colour consecutively
      > > including the browns.
      > >
      > > combat odds - compare attacker STR with defender STR choose
      appropriate
      > > column, if more than one column applies the strongest force chooses
      > > which to use (ie the most favourable) but only if qualifies eg if
      you
      > > qualify for both +2 and 2:1 you pick 2:1, if you have better than
      2:1,
      > > but less than 3:1, you have to choose 2:1 - i did look this one up
      on
      > > Sunday night.
      > >
      > > As far as i remember you can qualify for a battle's victory points
      if
      > > you are the main attacker or defender and you win. If the battle is
      not
      > > contested - or not correctly contested - by one side, the other side
      > > will win. If it must be contested to get the points, it would be
      > > tempting to ignore defended battles to some extent to deny victory
      > > points. Personally i think it works as Athens and Sparta in
      particular -
      > > being the strongest militarily - have the burden of defending more
      > > battles, it is right that this should be rewarded. The other cities
      have
      > > their advantages too though - eg more choice in where to send their
      > > troops.
      > >
      > > Overall, i think Perikles is a cracking good game which balances
      > > simplicity with depth - i love the nomination/voting phase. I do
      take on
      > > board Josep's points, but i think being too aggressive could
      backfire -
      > > you need to have a fair balance of points - i the last game i played
      > > scored a lot of points via statues (got three cities on one turn),
      but
      > > scored too few points via battles allowing Bob to win with a more
      > > balanced portfolio.

    • Show all 7 messages in this topic