509Re: Team Games

  • jmalmolda
    Jun 17, 2008
      I think this is an interesting thread.

      My opinion about this is that not that many games work well as team
      games, because most of them will end up being solo games played by the
      most skilled player.

      It is not by chance that some of the games that work very well as team
      games are card games, I am thinking about Spanish games, but games
      like Bridge or Canasta have similar team mechanics, and the key is
      that the cards are hidden from your partner, same as robo rally, and I
      think that's what makes team robo rally great.

      I like Bob's idea about not knowing straight away who your partners
      are, as Inkognito did. I thought that could be an interesting variant
      for Struggle of Empires, and I agree that the bidding phase is great,
      but what do you guys think about a game of Struggle, 3v3, where you
      dont know nothing in the first war, you know maybe 2 people in the
      second, and the rest in the 3rd war. Imagine that it might happen that
      I know that player B plays in my team, but he doesnt know that, he
      knows that player C is not. I think that the bidding could be great
      with this extra information. And remember that you dont always want
      your enemies as enemies, sometimes you want them in your alliance to
      prevent them from attacking you.

      Another twist that I found is at the end, the score is the same as the
      player of the team with LESS points, I did something like that in
      Puerto Rico some time ago and it worked very well, could be worth
      considering for games like Struggle, Vinci, Antike....