      Von: "David Bullions" <davebullions@...>
      Gesendet: 15.12.08 10:54:00
      An: George Young <lbgc@...>
      Betreff: RE: [lbgc] Re: Age

      Felix

      You really need to get out more ;-)

      Dave

      To: lbgc@...
      From: felixkrul@...
      Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2008 00:25:39 +0000
      Subject: [lbgc] Re: Age

      Hi Alan,

      besides from a 'happy birthday', I have a better one than changing
      the number system on the fly...: You reduced the angle!

      hae?

      Well, as we all know: 9*6 = 42, right?

      If you think of a scalar product, this is actually possible:
      Let's say, you have a scalar product of two vectors A=9 and B=6 with
      the lengths of a=9 and b=6.
      Then the scalar product would be
      A*B = a*b*cos(alpha)
      where alpha = angle between A and B.
      As we define A*B = 42, this means that the 'Douglas Adams world
      answer angle' would be
      alpha = arccos(A*B/a*b) = arccos(42/54) = 38.94244 Degrees
      If we now say that the year before the equation is (completely
      arbitrarily, of course)
      9*6 = 41
      then the angle would be
      arccos(41/54) =
      40.60106 degrees
      Therefore you reduced your angle by more than one degree!
      qed

      cheers

      Felix

      'Very strange people, physicists. In m,y experience, the ones who
      aren't actually dead are in some way very ill' (D. Adams)

      --- In lbgc@..., Allan <allan@...> wrote:

      > Yes, that is of course the answer.
      >
      > As a silver lining, my age is now the same as the answer to Life,
      the
      > Universe and Everything :-)
      >
      > Thanks for replying!
      > Allan
      >
      > Sent from my iPod
      >
      > On 13 Dec 2008, at 22:26, "Founder." <bobroscow@...> wrote:
      >
      > > I'll have a stab at it. Just got to use up a few more words
      first, so
      > > that my stab at it comes lower down than the first sentence or
      two, so
      > > that anybody will only see my attempt if they click for the full
      text,
      > > blah, blah, that should do it.
      > >
      > > Erm, maybe you're using the sextidecimal (16-imal) system? So
      that 41
      > > became 29? So now you've just become twenty-ten rather than
      thirty?
      > > No?
      > >
      > > Bob
      > >
      > > In lbgc@..., "Allan Mertner" <allan@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > On Wednesday this week, I could truthfully claim to be 29 years
      old.
      > > > Friends would sometimes look a little dubiously at me at this,
      but I
      > > > was mostly able to convince people of the truth of it.
      > > >
      > > > Alas, on Thursday the 11th, things changed. I am not now 30 as
      you
      > > > might have expected - I am in fact 42. Gone are the sweet
      twenties,
      > > > and the mid-forties with all that entails (beer belly, midlife
      > > crisis,
      > > > stomach ulcer, not enough time for boardgames and teenage
      kids)
      > > loom.
      > > >
      > > > How can this all have happened to me, so quickly?
      > > >
      > > > Any takers?
      > > > Allan

      Great search results, great prizes. BigSnapSearch.com Search now__._,_
      .___
      Messages in this topic (5) Reply (via web post) | Start a new
      topic
      Messages | Files | Photos | Links | Database | Polls | Members |
      Calendar

      Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch
      format to Traditional

      Recent Activity Visit Your Group

      Yahoo! 360
      Share what matters