Latest on Twilight Imperium 3 for 4 March

    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 20, 2007
      This is getting crazy ... in a nice way!

      Stuart M has now added himself to the list for 4 March (new guy,
      played here last Sunday ... oh and beat Allan and Marty, so he's no
      slouch!).

      So the updated list now stands as, in order of sign-up and therefore
      precedence:

      George (it's his set!)
      Dave
      Neil (though technically he hasn't confirmed for 4th March yet)
      Keith
      Karl
      Allan
      me
      Andrew
      Marty (he signed up early, but recently said only a maybe for 4th)
      Stuart F (intends to be a watcher).
      Stuart Mc

      That makes 11 of us so far. One more and I'll consider options of
      TWO games of it simultaneously in parallel, one in my main room, one
      upstaairs in the spare room. (extra dimension of fun, an even bigger
      special one-off event)! I could ask Greg again, but last Nov he was
      the man with the set, and pulled out at the last minute. But I seem
      to recall some or all of Scot, Josep, Craig, and an Alex or two
      expressing interest at the time ...Even Gavin, I think, if he were
      free.

      So, if we end up with 12 or 13 "definites", and I assume one last-
      minute pull-out, we could do 2 games in parallel ....! Wow. With
      enough notice, I'd be happy to buy a second set, to help the day go
      well.

      And you realise what 2 games would mean .... the top 3 from each
      would just HAVE to have a play-off another day .....Great fun! That
      wd really put TI3 to bed.

      So let's button down whether we are 10 or 12 or 13, asap, so I can
      buy a set in time for the day. Or do any of you, other contacts,
      know of a second set you could borrow??

      Bob
    • George Young
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 23, 2007
        Everyone who is joining the TI3 game on 4th or just want to
        understand the rules please see the file I have uploaded to the
        Files area. This shows an averview of the basic game, however there
        will be some changes (e.g. Imperial Card, Board Setup) so I will try
        to post an updated version early next week.

        George Y

        > This is getting crazy ... in a nice way!
        >
        > Stuart M has now added himself to the list for 4 March (new guy,
        > played here last Sunday ... oh and beat Allan and Marty, so he's
        no
        > slouch!).
        >

        > So the updated list now stands as, in order of sign-up and
        therefore
        > precedence:
        >
        > George (it's his set!)
        > Dave
        > Neil (though technically he hasn't confirmed for 4th March yet)
        > Keith
        > Karl
        > Allan
        > me
        > Andrew
        > Marty (he signed up early, but recently said only a maybe for 4th)
        > Stuart F (intends to be a watcher).
        > Stuart Mc
        >
        > That makes 11 of us so far. One more and I'll consider options of
        > TWO games of it simultaneously in parallel, one in my main room,
        one
        > upstaairs in the spare room. (extra dimension of fun, an even
        bigger
        > special one-off event)! I could ask Greg again, but last Nov he
        was
        > the man with the set, and pulled out at the last minute. But I
        seem
        > to recall some or all of Scot, Josep, Craig, and an Alex or two
        > expressing interest at the time ...Even Gavin, I think, if he were
        > free.
        >
        > So, if we end up with 12 or 13 "definites", and I assume one last-
        > minute pull-out, we could do 2 games in parallel ....! Wow. With
        > enough notice, I'd be happy to buy a second set, to help the day
        go
        > well.
        >
        > And you realise what 2 games would mean .... the top 3 from each
        > would just HAVE to have a play-off another day .....Great fun!
        That
        > wd really put TI3 to bed.
        >
        > So let's button down whether we are 10 or 12 or 13, asap, so I can
        > buy a set in time for the day. Or do any of you, other contacts,
        > know of a second set you could borrow??
        >
        > Bob

      • stuart_mckinley
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 23, 2007
          Hi.  As a new group member, I thought I'd post a quick message here by
          way of introduction.  I am looking forward to meeting more of you on
          4th and from what I have seen of TI3 I think it will be a great game.

          Along with the file that George has uploaded, I've found some good
          stuff on the forum pages of Fantasy Flight Games:

          http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=13

          Theres some good posts on strategies for the different races - though
          this may be more useful after we get a grip on the gameplay/mechanics.

          Stuart M

          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 24, 2007
            Hello Stuart
            Good to have met you & welcome to the club. I hope you enjoyed it & hope to
            meet you again.
            Dave

          • Marty M
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 26, 2007
              Hi Stuart,

              It was good to meet you (albeit very briefly, as we were playing
              different games in different rooms) the other Sunday. I think I am
              the second most recent member of LBGC after yourself, having first
              attended in January this year.

              I hope you enjoy LBGC - I certainly have found it to be a friendly,
              welcoming and fun group. Bob is an excellent host, and it is a real
              pleasure to have the opportunity to play old and new games with a
              group of fellow gamers. What games do you own and play?

              I will be unable to attend this Sunday, but look forward to meeting
              you again in the future.

              Best wishes,

              Marty.

              --- In lbgc@..., "stuart_mckinley" <virtualstu@...>
              wrote:

> [...]
              > > > expressing interest at the time ...Even Gavin, I think, if he
              were
              > > > free.
              > > >
              > > > So, if we end up with 12 or 13 "definites", and I assume one
              last-
              > > > minute pull-out, we could do 2 games in parallel ....! Wow.
              With
              > > > enough notice, I'd be happy to buy a second set, to help the day
              > > go
              > > > well.
              > > >
              > > > And you realise what 2 games would mean .... the top 3 from each
              > > > would just HAVE to have a play-off another day .....Great fun!
              > > That
              > > > wd really put TI3 to bed.
              > > >
              > > > So let's button down whether we are 10 or 12 or 13, asap, so I
              can
              > > > buy a set in time for the day. Or do any of you, other

            • Allan Mertner
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 27, 2007
                Hi George,

                I was wondering which rule changes you are suggesting. I have now got
                my own copy (almost finished getting all the bits out :) and have read
                about variants on bgg to get a feel for what would be good.

                As far as I can tell, the best thing to do is to play a standard game,
                but with
                - The strategy cards from the Shattered Empires extension (I have this)
                - The Age of Empires variant
                - Perhaps even start with one of the pre-built universes. It cuts a
                lot of explaining and time

                Whether or not to play with the original strategy cards and the 1VP ISC
                variant seems to be a matter of taste; I think I'd be inclined to try it
                with 2VPs first...

                Just my 2 cents - what are your thoughts? There obviously is a LOT of
                choices to be made :)
                Allan

                > Everyone who is joining the TI3 game on 4th or just want to
                > understand the rules please see the file I have uploaded to the
                > Files area. This shows an averview of the basic game, however there
                > will be some changes (e.g. Imperial Card, Board Setup) so I will try
                > to post an updated version early next week.
                >
                > George Y

              • George Young
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 2, 2007
                  Hi Allan,

                  Have been away and builders are currently working on my house so sorry
                  for the late reply. Your summary is correct I will be using the
                  strategy card Imperial II mainly due to the advice from players, Age
                  of Empires variant as this will be required and offers the players
                  objectives, and start with one of the pre-built universes as I
                  completely agree this should speed the beginning for us.

                  Hopefully all the players joining this session will have taken time to
                  browse the rules posted online.

                  See you all Sunday.

                  George Y