Education Games for Children

  • George Young
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 11, 2007
      Say you have a Son/Daughter around 8 years of age and you want to teach
      them all about social gaming but with an educational value.

      What games have you played that offer educational value and what
      fields do you feel the game would cover?
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 12, 2007
        Interesting question George.

        The younger of my two nieces aged 7 and my nephew aged 8 are
        interested in playing games - and its my niece who's more focused and
        apt for gaming as she's interested in learning rules.

        I gave them 'Into the Forest' and Escape from Atlantis which they
        both enjoyed and got to grips with fairly easy. My niece ended up
        teaching the rules to my nephew. I've since given them Heroscape but
        thats been more difficult especially as i didn't have the time to
        take them through the game last time i saw them.

        Into the forest is designed as a educational game anyway about
        nature's food chain - game is elementary.

        Neil

        --- In lbgc@..., "George Young" <george.young9@...>
        wrote:

        > Say you have a Son/Daughter around 8 years of age and you want to
        teach
        > them all about social gaming but with an educational value.
        >
        > What games have you played that offer educational value and what
        > fields do you feel the game would cover?

      • Marty M
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 13, 2007

          My daughter is 17 months old, and I'm counting the weeks until she's able to play the simplest of games and I can start her indoctrination, sorry introduction, to boardgames. I reckon about 3 years or so would be about right. Any other mothers or fathers at LBGC with experience in this matter?

          There's a fairly comprehensive BGG meta list of games for kids of all ages available here .

          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 14, 2007
            Hello Marty,
            I can only tell you of my experience. Others people might have a different experience.
            I have two step-children. They are both now adults in their late teens (my step-daughter) or early twenties (my step-son). I came into their lives when they were young (about 8 & 5 years old). I got them playing some games at around that time and they quite enjoyed it (my son more than my daughter). They were playing quite simple games such as Risk. The were already used to playing Rummy-type card games with their grandmother, so they were already used to playing games. As the years went by, their interests changed and they drifted away from board games. We still play one or two at Christmas, but thats about it (one of my reasons for joining this club, really. It lets me get my "fix"). My daughter now lives with her boyfriend and we don't see much of her nowadays. My son is very active with sports. He plays Badminton & Five-a-side football during the week. He plays eleven-a-side sunday league football at the weekend. He also goes jogging. So getting around a table to play board games - fat chance !
            But thats the trouble with children, they have an annoying habit of growing up. They are only young once, so enjoy it while you can. But let them grow up as well. Support them in whatever they decide to do with their lives. And have fun !!
            Dave

            ________________________________
            > To: lbgc@...
            > From: martymoller@...
            > Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2007 20:13:04 +0000
            > Subject: [lbgc] Re: Education Games for Children
            >
            > My daughter is 17 months old, and I'm counting the weeks until she's able to play the simplest of games and I can start her indoctrination, sorry introduction, to boardgames. I reckon about 3 years or so would be about right. Any other mothers or fathers at LBGC with experience in this matter?
            > There's a fairly comprehensive BGG meta list of games for kids of all ages available here .

            100’s of Music vouchers to be won with MSN Music
            https://www.musicmashup.co.uk/index.html
          • Nemesis
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 19, 2007
              Monopoly - one of the billions of "themed" versions is bound to appeal.  Risk and Cluedo are good too.
              Great games to learn as well as have fun - numeracy, logic, optimisation, persuasion etc.

              The London Game is great for learning the underground!    Waddingtons GO is good for geography!

              Peter

              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 20, 2007
                Hi George,

                Here's my suggestions...

                Hare and Tortoise: some basic arithmetic, and a very important gaming
                skill - planning ahead

                Scrabble: vocabulary, spelling and arithmetic (with a suitable handicap
                for the adults)

                Suppenkasper: A bit of arithmetic and lots of jokes about fat people!!

                Alles im Eimer: Simple arithmetic and lots of entertainment.

                Risk: Learning where Kamchatka is (not exactly useful unfortunately).

                Keith.

                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 20, 2007
                  I have to agree with Keith on this.
                  Hare and Tortoise & Alles im Eimer (or Bucket King) have both been played at the club and both have been a success. Bob's children have played both and, I think, enjoyed the experience.
                  Scrabble, obviously, is good for spelling etc.
                  Risk: good for basic geography, bearing in mind that the scale is distorted and that boundaries have almost certainly been tweaked for gaming purposes.
                  Suppenkasper: Don't know this one, so can't comment.
                  Dave

                  ________________________________
                  > To: lbgc@...
                  > From: keithdowsett@...
                  > Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2007 13:31:26 +0000
                  > Subject: [lbgc] RE: Education Games for Children
                  >
                  > Hi George,
                  > Here's my suggestions...
                  > Hare and Tortoise: some basic arithmetic, and a very important gaming
                  > skill - planning ahead
                  > Scrabble: vocabulary, spelling and arithmetic (with a suitable handicap
                  > for the adults)
                  > Suppenkasper: A bit of arithmetic and lots of jokes about fat people!!
                  > Alles im Eimer: Simple arithmetic and lots of entertainment.
                  > Risk: Learning where Kamchatka is (not exactly useful unfortunately).
                  > Keith.

                  Feel like a local wherever you go with BackOfMyHand.com
                  http://www.backofmyhand.com
                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 22, 2007
                    Scrabble is an excellent game in its simplicity. I would add Chess,
                    not because its a classic, but because it helps cultivate thinking
                    ahead which is essential. Risk would (in this respect) get my thumbs
                    up as a gateway game.

                    --- In lbgc@..., David Bullions <davebullions@...>