An ongoing league in the club ...

    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 14, 2007
      I've been on the look-out for a game that we could elevate into a
      game that we at LBGC play fairly often and can have a league and
      ratings on.

      It would be an extra bit of cement, ongoing, and could raise the
      importance of this site for our members, as the place where the
      league-table sits.

      I've deliberately avoided any kind of "overall" league-table across
      all games we play. People come and go, leaving London etc. And the
      games are so various, some with more skill and some with more luck.
      And your approach to each game varies - try hard or just play for
      fun and excitement.

      So, I STILL don't want us to create a table or record across various
      games.

      But doing so on just one or two games could be fun, valid, and
      interesting.

      I was looking out for one. Perikles has come along, which the 6 of
      us who have played it seem to like a lot. I suspect we will play it
      fairly often ...

      So, let's start a league-table, ongoing, just for Perikles? It
      doesn't matter that we won't play it EVERY session. The ongoing
      league table can be slow-burn, only slowly added to, a long-term
      thing, as a background interest, ongoing, for us just meeting up and
      playing what's on the table.

      My mind is buzzing with formulae for keeping track of it and working
      out a table that gets updated (here). Gimme 30 mins, and a separate
      post.

      But Perikles need not be the ONLY "league table" ... It would be nice
      to have several players topping different charts, across a variety of
      games. But not TOO many; and it had better be a game we will play
      more than once or twice per year ...

      OK, I'm about to go away and invent a points system and league table
      for Perikles. I'll post it when I think I've cracked it.

      Meanwhile, should we accompany it with one OTHER game-league-table?
      So that Perikles is not is not the ONLY one, no special status?

      An obvious candidate would be ... er ... Team RoboRally? We play it
      quite often. It's a fun icebreaker, full of hilarity, not serious.
      This might be the ideal counterbalance to Perikles, because there are
      huge slices of luck as to whether you achieve a win, via your team,
      even after you screwed up or got unlucky and were scrapped and out of
      the game ... It still might be fun to total and report who has won
      (been on the winning team) more often? Just for fun and banter.

      Bob
    • George Young
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 14, 2007
        Hi Bob,
        I think this is a great idea and one that I would very much like to
        see happen. Keeping the league games we play to a minimum is the only
        way to make sure that each games gets a good amount of sessions per
        year. Also maybe keep the timeframe for any game in this league within
        3 hours which offers flexibility within the LBGC sessions.

        Just so you know I voted on Perikles. Not because I played at the club
        as I was unfortunately in the US, but because I have played the game
        in the past and once with Martin Wallace at a convention when the game
        was first released. Its a superb game which rates as one of his very
        best alongside Age of Steam and Liberte in my mind.

        Just another idea would be to run a Formula De League, play once every
        2 Months about 6 sessions per year on different tracks with some
        changes to the rules that meet LBGC interests. The League could be
        based on Driver and Constructed points. This would allow everyone in
        the club to join the game and build points for their Driver and Team.
        As players come and go they would be assigned to a given team which
        would allow some consistency to the constructed points. Something we
        could all discuss at future sessions.

        Liberté (3-6 Players) covers part of the French Revolution which is
        played in 4 turns, each turn is a variable number of rounds followed
        by an election to see if the Radicals, Moderates or Royalists becomes
        the government.

        BoardGameGeek listing - http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/2507

        Seasons Greetings to you all....

        George

        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 15, 2007
          Hi all
          For what its worth I like the idea of a league, particually a Formula De league as I think that sort of game is well suited to league play. Anyway thats just my thoughts for what its worth.
          I was also one of those that voted on Perikles, so I would like to play that again. If in a league then so be it.
          Anyway, Merry Xmas to all.
          Dave

          To: lbgc@...
          From: george.young9@...
          Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2007 00:05:54 +0000
          Subject: [lbgc] Re: An ongoing league in the club ...

          --- In lbgc@yahoogroups. co.uk, "Founder." <bobroscow@. ..> wrote:

          > I've been on the look-out for a game that we could elevate into a
          > game that we at LBGC play fairly often and can have a league and
          > ratings on.
          >
          > It would be an extra bit of cement, ongoing, and could raise the
          > importance of this site for our members, as the place where the
          > league-table sits.
          >
          > I've deliberately avoided any kind of "overall" league-table across
          > all games we play. People come and go, leaving London etc. And the
          > games are so various, some with more skill and some with more luck.
          > And your approach to each game varies - try hard or just play for
          > fun and excitement.
          >
          > So, I STILL don't want us to create a table or record across various
          > games.
          >
          > But doing so on just one or two games could be fun, valid, and
          > interesting.
          >
          > I was looking out for one. Perikles has come along, which the 6 of
          > us who have played it seem to like a lot. I suspect we will play it
          > fairly often ...
          >
          > So, let's start a league-table, ongoing, just for Perikles? It
          > doesn't matter that we won't play it EVERY session. The ongoing
          > league table can be slow-burn, only slowly added to, a long-term
          > thing, as a background interest, ongoing, for us just meeting up and
          > playing what's on the table.
          >
          > My mind is buzzing with formulae for keeping track of it and working
          > out a table that gets updated (here). Gimme 30 mins, and a separate
          > post.
          >
          > But Perikles need not be the ONLY "league table" ... It would be nice
          > to have several players topping different charts, across a variety of
          > games. But not TOO many; and it had better be a game we will play
          > more than once or twice per year ...
          >
          > OK, I'm about to go away and invent a points system and league table
          > for Perikles. I'll post it when I think I've cracked it.
          >
          > Meanwhile, should we accompany it with one OTHER game-league- table?
          > So that Perikles is not is not the ONLY one, no special status?
          >
          > An obvious candidate would be ... er ... Team RoboRally? We play it
          > quite often. It's a fun icebreaker, full of hilarity, not serious.
          > This might be the ideal counterbalance to Perikles, because there are
          > huge slices of luck as to whether you achieve a win, via your team,
          > even after you screwed up or got unlucky and were scrapped and out of
          > the game ... It still might be fun to total and report who has won
          > (been on the winning team) more often? Just for fun and banter.
          >
          > Bob

          Think you know your TV, music and film? Try Search Charades!
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 15, 2007
            Great, a couple of enthusiatic yeses. That'll do.

            For anyone who thinks it might be a bad idea (frequently having to
            play a game you don't like, or people taking it too seriously, or
            downgrading our current habit of constantly trying new games) ...
            let me reassure you: I aim to get the balance right between playing
            these 1,2 or even 3 games often enough to keep the league table live
            and changing, but not so often that they get in the way of playing
            other favourites or trying new games. That's why I only wanted 1 or
            preferably 2 games where we keep track. Maybe 3. And they are
            all "slow-burn", ie we just cumulate scores when and if we play any
            of them; they don't take over.

            For example, in the case of Team RoboRally, you'll hardly notice that
            the league table exists - it'd just be me recording who was on the
            winning side and cumulating it for fun.

            I've had some thoughts on a scoring system and league-position system
            for Perikles. I'll make that a separate post.