LBGC awards 2007

    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 31, 2007

      Ok chaps. Here's an idea. Lets vote for our favourite games for the past year.

      Each member gets to nominate five candidates in each of four categories -

      a) Game of the Year (can be any game played);

      b) Best new game (published or released in 2007);

      c) Best game mechanic; and

      d) Best filler.

      To be eligible for a nomination, by any member, a game must have been played at least once at the club in 2007. It doesn't matter if a nominating member hasn't played that game or has played it outside the club as long as the club has played it.

      When i have more time i'll post the details of voting but to begin with for the first 2 weeks in Jan, i'm looking for nominations for voting only.  Any member interested can email me with up to 5 nominations for each category.

      I'll then collate the nominations and post the results of the top 5 nominations in each category in readiness for the vote stage - details on voting will follow as identified.

      To give you all a reminder of some of the games the club has played here is an aide memoire (in no particular order):

      Twilight Imperium 3, Struggle of Empires, Age of Steam, Railroad Tycoon, Perikles, Container, Brass, Hamburgum, Condottiere, Cash and Guns, Arkham Horror, Combat Commander and Imperial - please feel free to advertise any other games we have played to ensure members are aware of the options.  I cant remember if Fury of Dracula, Werewolf and Diamant have been played this year or not.

      To get you thinking on mechanics i'll give you an idea: TI3 strategy cards, Imperial's Rondel, Struggle of Empires' alliance auction, Perikles' nomination/election phase, Combat Commander's card selection, Arkham Horror's stat sliders and Container's scoring system.

      Ok so the first phase is to email me with your nominations.

      Cheers

      Neil.

      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 2, 2008
        When it comes to the vote stage here is what i had in mind:

        Each member to have up to 3 votes - to vote for a 1st, 2nd and 3rd place
        in each category - members can choose to use less than all 3 and eg
        just vote for a 1st place if they wish.

        Once all votes rec'd/voting closed, there are then 3 stages of
        elimination:

        1. All 1st place votes are counted, with the lowest rank of games in
        terms of votes being eliminated.

        2. Add all 2nd place votes to any games not eliminated. Votes for games
        that are subsequently eliminated are wasted. Lowest rank of games get
        eliminated again.

        3. Add all 3rd place votes to surviving games. Highest rank games wins.

        Number of 1st place votes settle a tie. If a tie still exists, tie
        stands. If a single winner is determined at end of any stage, election
        ends for that category.

        Hopefully by this method, there is a nice balance between being a
        favourite game and a game with broad support. A game that is one or two
        members favourite won't win unless there is fair support for it by means
        of 2nd and 3rd place votes, but well liked games may not be liked enough
        to secure survival past the 1st stage. Thus ideally the winners will
        have at least some strong support with general group appeal. Who knows?
        - it will be interesting to see what happens.

        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 3, 2008
          MY NOMINATIONS

          I know you said "by email to you". and that's probably fairer without
          introducing bias, but I don't think the difference is great, and
          thought this might help kick things off ...

          Up to 5 nominations per category ...

          Game of Year:
          Perikles
          Condottiere
          Struggle of Empires
          Imperial
          Team RoboRally

          Best New Game (not sure which WERE published in 2007 ...)
          Hamburgum
          Perikles?
          Container

          Best Game Mechanic:
          1. Perikles' nomination and election phase.
          2. Perikles' statue-points, which your choice of which cities to
          attack and which to leave alone, for the rest of the game.
          3. Perikles' 2-phase combat mechanic, with the result from the first
          giving you a head-start on the second phase.
          4. Perikles' mechanic of only the LEAD attacker or defender getting
          the VP's for the battle, so a race to get yourself down as the LEAD
          attacker or defender for the upcoming battles.
          5. Oh, and Imperial's Rondel!

          Best Filler:
          Diamant
          Werewolf
          Cash 'n' Guns
          Metro
          Team RoboRally

          These are only nominations for consideration. I look forward to the
          voting. A fun thing to do, thanks Neil!

          Bob

          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 3, 2008
            To jog people's memories, and to fit with Neil's rider that the game
            has to have been played at LBGC in 2007, and for fun, here is a full
            list of games played at LBGC in 2007, some of them more than once.
            Across 25 meetings in 2007.

            Diamant
            Shadows over Camelot
            Gloria Mundi
            Escape from Atlantis
            Apocalypse LBGC
            Struggle of Empires
            Zombies
            Team RoboRally
            History of the World
            Underground
            Twilight Imperium 3
            Labyrinth
            Die Macher
            Save The President
            Blokus
            Central Committee of the Supreme Soviet
            Trias
            Alles im Eimer
            El Grande
            Quo Vadis
            Billabong
            Fury of Dracula
            Age of Steam
            Imperial
            Cash'n'Guns
            Arkham Horror
            Alliance
            Lifeboats
            Umbongo
            Hamburgum
            Container
            Brass
            Saboteurs
            Origins
            Condottiere
            UmbonguSuper
            Tikal
            Puerto Rico
            Serenissima
            Railroad Tycoon
            Metro
            Gambit
            Perikles
            Colossal Arena
            Reff Encounter
            Aladdin's Dragons
            Hannibal

            47 different games across 25 sessions, not bad!

            And, just for interest, with John, Rob and Gordon moving away from
            London, the longest-time current member is ..... Peter J. Followed
            by Allan M. and Dave B.

            Enough stats. Happy New Year.

            Bob

            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 3, 2008
              Thanks for that Bob. I will set a deadline for the nominations phase -
              14th Jan.

              Remember this phase is just for games you would like to see being voted
              on - nominate a game even if already nominated as the number of
              nominations matters.

              Interesting list for the mechanics. Perikles is listed on BGG and
              warfrog website as 2006 (i thought it was new as well), maybe someone
              else can clarify which games were new to 2007.

              I will nominate the following:

              Game of the Year:

              Perikles, Twilight Imperium 3, Struggle of Empires, Arkham Horror and
              Imperial

              New Game:

              Container, Brass

              Best Mechanic:

              Perikles' nomination/election phase, TI3 strategy cards, Struggle of
              Empires alliance auction.

              Best filler: Condottiere, Cash and Guns, Werewolf, Diamant.

> [...]
              > > is an aide memoire (in no particular order):
              > >
              > > Twilight Imperium 3, Struggle of Empires, Age of Steam, Railroad
              > Tycoon,
              > > Perikles, Container, Brass, Hamburgum, Condottiere, Cash and Guns,
              > > Arkham Horror, Combat Commander and Imperial - please feel free to
              > > advertise any other games we have played to ensure members are
              > aware of
              > > the options. I cant remember if Fury of Dracula, Werewolf and
              > Diamant
              > > have been played this year or not.
              > >
              > > To get you thinking on mechanics i'll give you an idea: TI3 strategy
              > > cards, Imperial's Rondel, Struggle of Empires' alliance auction,
              > > Perikles' nomination/election phase, Combat Commander's card
              > selection,
              > > Arkham Horror's stat sliders and Container's scoring system.
              > >
              > > Ok so the first phase is to email me with your nominations.

            • Nemesis
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 3, 2008
                All,

                Apologies, I really haven't had the time for games last year, so I can nominate very few (only games I have actually played, although not necessarily at LBGC)!

                FWIW, here's my nominations:

                Game of the Year:
                    History of the World (I know, I know...)
                    Railroad Tycoon (If it were better made - and not quite so LARGE - I'd havebought a copy...)
                    Team RoboRally
                    Struggle of Empires (I DO have this one!)
                    Wallenstein (if we played it this year!) OMG - was it really 2006 that I last played Wallenstein?

                New Game:
                ?

                Best Mechanic:
                    The allocation of civilizations in History of the World - cumulative unit count and keep / pass decision
                    I just love hauling those blocks in Railroad Tycoon!
                    I wanted to add the combat resolution "tower shower" in Wallenstein - but only if it was played in 07!

                Best filler:
                    Werewolf (thanks Bob!)  :-)
                    Team RoboRally

                Peter J

                (allegedly the longest serving "member", but regrettably more notable by his absence than participation).

                --- In lbgc@yahoogroups. co.uk, "Neil Parker" <welfarerights@ ...>
                wrote:

                > Ok chaps. Here's an idea. Lets vote for our favourite games for the
                past
                > year.
                >
                > Each member gets to nominate five candidates in each of four
                categories
                > -
                >
                > a) Game of the Year (can be any game played);
                >
                > b) Best new game (published or released in 2007);
                >
                > c) Best game mechanic; and
                >
                > d) Best filler.
                >
                > To be eligible for a nomination, by any member, a game must have
                been
                > played at least once at the club in 2007. It doesn't matter if a
                > nominating member hasn't played that game or has played it outside
                the
                > club as long as the club has played it.
                >
                > When i have more time i'll post the details of voting but to begin
                with
                > for the first 2 weeks in Jan, i'm looking for nominations for voting
                > only. Any member interested can email me with up to 5 nominations
                for
                > each category.
                >
                > I'll then collate the nominations and post the results of the top 5
                > nominations in each category in readiness for the vote stage -
                details
                > on voting will follow as identified.
                >
                > To give you all a reminder of some of the games the club has played
                here
                > is an aide memoire (in no particular order):
                >
                > Twilight Imperium 3, Struggle of Empires, Age of Steam, Railroad
                Tycoon,
                > Perikles, Container, Brass, Hamburgum, Condottiere, Cash and Guns,
                > Arkham Horror, Combat Commander and Imperial - please feel free to
                > advertise any other games we have played to ensure members are
                aware of
                > the options. I cant remember if Fury of Dracula, Werewolf and
                Diamant
                > have been played this year or not.
                >
                > To get you thinking on mechanics i'll give you an idea: TI3 strategy
                > cards, Imperial's Rondel, Struggle of Empires' alliance auction,
                > Perikles' nomination/election phase, Combat Commander's card
                selection,
                > Arkham Horror's stat sliders and Container's scoring system.
                >
                > Ok so the first phase is to email me with your nominations.
                >
                > Cheers
                >
                > Neil.

              • macleodandrew
                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 6, 2008
                  My nominations in no particular order:

                  a) Game of the Year (can be any game played);

                  Perikles, History of the World, Labyrinth, Struggle of Empires,
                  Imperial

                  > > b) Best new game (published or released in 2007);

                  Perikles, Pillars of the Earth (not sure of other new ones)

                  c) Best game mechanic;

                  * Bidding for alliances in SofE
                  * Invisible player in FofD
                  * Changing control of nations in Imperial
                  * Simultaneous programming in Roborally
                  * Tile placement in Labyrinth

                  > > d) Best filler.

                  Roborally, Colossal Arena, Diamant, Trias, Twilight Imperium 3 ;-)

                  I haven't played nearly half the games so my nominations are not a
                  reflection of the whole of last year.

                  Shouldn't we have a Worst Game(with reason)category for
                  fun/controversy?

                  Andrew