Re: LBGC awards 2007 - voting system

    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 2, 2008
      When it comes to the vote stage here is what i had in mind:

      Each member to have up to 3 votes - to vote for a 1st, 2nd and 3rd place
      in each category - members can choose to use less than all 3 and eg
      just vote for a 1st place if they wish.

      Once all votes rec'd/voting closed, there are then 3 stages of
      elimination:

      1. All 1st place votes are counted, with the lowest rank of games in
      terms of votes being eliminated.

      2. Add all 2nd place votes to any games not eliminated. Votes for games
      that are subsequently eliminated are wasted. Lowest rank of games get
      eliminated again.

      3. Add all 3rd place votes to surviving games. Highest rank games wins.

      Number of 1st place votes settle a tie. If a tie still exists, tie
      stands. If a single winner is determined at end of any stage, election
      ends for that category.

      Hopefully by this method, there is a nice balance between being a
      favourite game and a game with broad support. A game that is one or two
      members favourite won't win unless there is fair support for it by means
      of 2nd and 3rd place votes, but well liked games may not be liked enough
      to secure survival past the 1st stage. Thus ideally the winners will
      have at least some strong support with general group appeal. Who knows?
      - it will be interesting to see what happens.

      --- In lbgc@..., "Neil Parker" <welfarerights@...> wrote:

      > Ok chaps. Here's an idea. Lets vote for our favourite games for the
      past
      > year.
      >
      > Each member gets to nominate five candidates in each of four
      categories
      > -
      >
      > a) Game of the Year (can be any game played);
      >
      > b) Best new game (published or released in 2007);
      >
      > c) Best game mechanic; and
      >
      > d) Best filler.
      >
      > To be eligible for a nomination, by any member, a game must have been
      > played at least once at the club in 2007. It doesn't matter if a
      > nominating member hasn't played that game or has played it outside the
      > club as long as the club has played it.
      >
      > When i have more time i'll post the details of voting but to begin
      with
      > for the first 2 weeks in Jan, i'm looking for nominations for voting
      > only. Any member interested can email me with up to 5 nominations for
      > each category.
      >
      > I'll then collate the nominations and post the results of the top 5
      > nominations in each category in readiness for the vote stage - details
      > on voting will follow as identified.
      >
      > To give you all a reminder of some of the games the club has played
      here
      > is an aide memoire (in no particular order):
      >
      > Twilight Imperium 3, Struggle of Empires, Age of Steam, Railroad
      Tycoon,

      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 3, 2008
        MY NOMINATIONS

        I know you said "by email to you". and that's probably fairer without
        introducing bias, but I don't think the difference is great, and
        thought this might help kick things off ...

        Up to 5 nominations per category ...

        Game of Year:
        Perikles
        Condottiere
        Struggle of Empires
        Imperial
        Team RoboRally

        Best New Game (not sure which WERE published in 2007 ...)
        Hamburgum
        Perikles?
        Container

        Best Game Mechanic:
        1. Perikles' nomination and election phase.
        2. Perikles' statue-points, which your choice of which cities to
        attack and which to leave alone, for the rest of the game.
        3. Perikles' 2-phase combat mechanic, with the result from the first
        giving you a head-start on the second phase.
        4. Perikles' mechanic of only the LEAD attacker or defender getting
        the VP's for the battle, so a race to get yourself down as the LEAD
        attacker or defender for the upcoming battles.
        5. Oh, and Imperial's Rondel!

        Best Filler:
        Diamant
        Werewolf
        Cash 'n' Guns
        Metro
        Team RoboRally

        These are only nominations for consideration. I look forward to the
        voting. A fun thing to do, thanks Neil!

        Bob

        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 3, 2008
          To jog people's memories, and to fit with Neil's rider that the game
          has to have been played at LBGC in 2007, and for fun, here is a full
          list of games played at LBGC in 2007, some of them more than once.
          Across 25 meetings in 2007.

          Diamant
          Shadows over Camelot
          Gloria Mundi
          Escape from Atlantis
          Apocalypse LBGC
          Struggle of Empires
          Zombies
          Team RoboRally
          History of the World
          Underground
          Twilight Imperium 3
          Labyrinth
          Die Macher
          Save The President
          Blokus
          Central Committee of the Supreme Soviet
          Trias
          Alles im Eimer
          El Grande
          Quo Vadis
          Billabong
          Fury of Dracula
          Age of Steam
          Imperial
          Cash'n'Guns
          Arkham Horror
          Alliance
          Lifeboats
          Umbongo
          Hamburgum
          Container
          Brass
          Saboteurs
          Origins
          Condottiere
          UmbonguSuper
          Tikal
          Puerto Rico
          Serenissima
          Railroad Tycoon
          Metro
          Gambit
          Perikles
          Colossal Arena
          Reff Encounter
          Aladdin's Dragons
          Hannibal

          47 different games across 25 sessions, not bad!

          And, just for interest, with John, Rob and Gordon moving away from
          London, the longest-time current member is ..... Peter J. Followed
          by Allan M. and Dave B.

          Enough stats. Happy New Year.

          Bob

          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 3, 2008
            Thanks for that Bob. I will set a deadline for the nominations phase -
            14th Jan.

            Remember this phase is just for games you would like to see being voted
            on - nominate a game even if already nominated as the number of
            nominations matters.

            Interesting list for the mechanics. Perikles is listed on BGG and
            warfrog website as 2006 (i thought it was new as well), maybe someone
            else can clarify which games were new to 2007.

            I will nominate the following:

            Game of the Year:

            Perikles, Twilight Imperium 3, Struggle of Empires, Arkham Horror and
            Imperial

            New Game:

            Container, Brass

            Best Mechanic:

            Perikles' nomination/election phase, TI3 strategy cards, Struggle of
            Empires alliance auction.

            Best filler: Condottiere, Cash and Guns, Werewolf, Diamant.

> [...]
            > > is an aide memoire (in no particular order):
            > >
            > > Twilight Imperium 3, Struggle of Empires, Age of Steam, Railroad
            > Tycoon,
            > > Perikles, Container, Brass, Hamburgum, Condottiere, Cash and Guns,
            > > Arkham Horror, Combat Commander and Imperial - please feel free to
            > > advertise any other games we have played to ensure members are
            > aware of
            > > the options. I cant remember if Fury of Dracula, Werewolf and
            > Diamant
            > > have been played this year or not.
            > >
            > > To get you thinking on mechanics i'll give you an idea: TI3 strategy
            > > cards, Imperial's Rondel, Struggle of Empires' alliance auction,
            > > Perikles' nomination/election phase, Combat Commander's card
            > selection,
            > > Arkham Horror's stat sliders and Container's scoring system.
            > >
            > > Ok so the first phase is to email me with your nominations.

          • Nemesis
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 3, 2008
              All,

              Apologies, I really haven't had the time for games last year, so I can nominate very few (only games I have actually played, although not necessarily at LBGC)!

              FWIW, here's my nominations:

              Game of the Year:
                  History of the World (I know, I know...)
                  Railroad Tycoon (If it were better made - and not quite so LARGE - I'd havebought a copy...)
                  Team RoboRally
                  Struggle of Empires (I DO have this one!)
                  Wallenstein (if we played it this year!) OMG - was it really 2006 that I last played Wallenstein?

              New Game:
              ?

              Best Mechanic:
                  The allocation of civilizations in History of the World - cumulative unit count and keep / pass decision
                  I just love hauling those blocks in Railroad Tycoon!
                  I wanted to add the combat resolution "tower shower" in Wallenstein - but only if it was played in 07!

              Best filler:
                  Werewolf (thanks Bob!)  :-)
                  Team RoboRally

              Peter J

              (allegedly the longest serving "member", but regrettably more notable by his absence than participation).

              --- In lbgc@yahoogroups. co.uk, "Neil Parker" <welfarerights@ ...>
              wrote:

              > Ok chaps. Here's an idea. Lets vote for our favourite games for the
              past
              > year.
              >
              > Each member gets to nominate five candidates in each of four
              categories
              > -
              >
              > a) Game of the Year (can be any game played);
              >
              > b) Best new game (published or released in 2007);
              >
              > c) Best game mechanic; and
              >
              > d) Best filler.
              >
              > To be eligible for a nomination, by any member, a game must have
              been
              > played at least once at the club in 2007. It doesn't matter if a
              > nominating member hasn't played that game or has played it outside
              the
              > club as long as the club has played it.
              >
              > When i have more time i'll post the details of voting but to begin
              with
              > for the first 2 weeks in Jan, i'm looking for nominations for voting
              > only. Any member interested can email me with up to 5 nominations
              for
              > each category.
              >
              > I'll then collate the nominations and post the results of the top 5
              > nominations in each category in readiness for the vote stage -
              details
              > on voting will follow as identified.
              >
              > To give you all a reminder of some of the games the club has played
              here
              > is an aide memoire (in no particular order):
              >
              > Twilight Imperium 3, Struggle of Empires, Age of Steam, Railroad
              Tycoon,
              > Perikles, Container, Brass, Hamburgum, Condottiere, Cash and Guns,
              > Arkham Horror, Combat Commander and Imperial - please feel free to
              > advertise any other games we have played to ensure members are
              aware of
              > the options. I cant remember if Fury of Dracula, Werewolf and
              Diamant
              > have been played this year or not.
              >
              > To get you thinking on mechanics i'll give you an idea: TI3 strategy
              > cards, Imperial's Rondel, Struggle of Empires' alliance auction,
              > Perikles' nomination/election phase, Combat Commander's card
              selection,
              > Arkham Horror's stat sliders and Container's scoring system.
              >
              > Ok so the first phase is to email me with your nominations.
              >
              > Cheers
              >
              > Neil.

            • macleodandrew
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 6, 2008
                My nominations in no particular order:

                a) Game of the Year (can be any game played);

                Perikles, History of the World, Labyrinth, Struggle of Empires,
                Imperial

                > > b) Best new game (published or released in 2007);

                Perikles, Pillars of the Earth (not sure of other new ones)

                c) Best game mechanic;

                * Bidding for alliances in SofE
                * Invisible player in FofD
                * Changing control of nations in Imperial
                * Simultaneous programming in Roborally
                * Tile placement in Labyrinth

                > > d) Best filler.

                Roborally, Colossal Arena, Diamant, Trias, Twilight Imperium 3 ;-)

                I haven't played nearly half the games so my nominations are not a
                reflection of the whole of last year.

                Shouldn't we have a Worst Game(with reason)category for
                fun/controversy?

                Andrew