nominations

    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 7, 2008
      A reminder that there is one week to go before the nominations phase
      ends.
      Question 1? Perikles was released in 2006 yet including myself there
      are 4 nominations for it as new game (i would add it as well to my list
      of two new games nominated). Shall we include in this category any game
      that was played for the first time at the club in 2007 as well those
      released/published in the year? I am in favour.

      Q2: Andrew has suggested a wooden spoon category - are we in favour of
      this? I am and i will nominate that origins 'how we became bored very
      quickly' game.
      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 7, 2008
        Hi Neil (& anyone else reading this)

        Question 1: Sounds like a good idea. A new game, for me, is one I haven't played before. And I can't be bothered to look up dates of publication.

        Question 2: Also a good idea, as long as peoples feelings are not hurt when the winner of the wooden spoon turns out to be a game they own.

        Dave

        To: lbgc@...
        From: welfarerights@...
        Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 08:17:22 +0000
        Subject: [lbgc] nominations

        A reminder that there is one week to go before the nominations phase
        ends.
        Question 1? Perikles was released in 2006 yet including myself there
        are 4 nominations for it as new game (i would add it as well to my list
        of two new games nominated). Shall we include in this category any game
        that was played for the first time at the club in 2007 as well those
        released/published in the year? I am in favour.

        Q2: Andrew has suggested a wooden spoon category - are we in favour of
        this? I am and i will nominate that origins 'how we became bored very
        quickly' game.

        Think you know your TV, music and film? Try Search Charades!
        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 7, 2008
          Hi all

          Forgot to mention in my last reply (& going off-topic slightly), I have just seen this geeklist on BGG:
          http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/27902
          Look at item 15 (Diamant). They have replaced the wagons with tents !! That is sacrilage.

          Dave

          To: lbgc@...
          From: welfarerights@...
          Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 08:17:22 +0000

          A reminder that there is one week to go before the nominations phase
          ends.
          Question 1? Perikles was released in 2006 yet including myself there
          are 4 nominations for it as new game (i would add it as well to my list
          of two new games nominated). Shall we include in this category any game
          that was played for the first time at the club in 2007 as well those
          released/published in the year? I am in favour.

          Q2: Andrew has suggested a wooden spoon category - are we in favour of
          this? I am and i will nominate that origins 'how we became bored very
          quickly' game.

          Sounds like? How many syllables? Guess and win prizes with Search Charades!
          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 7, 2008
            I agree with you, Dave, and with Andrew's suggestion as to what is
            a "new" game.

            Too hard to check which WERE published only from 2007, so, save
            hassle. And not just one that was played for the first time AT LBGC
            (how can you know?). So: any game YOU first played at LBGC in
            2007.

            To cater for the obvious question: "So, can I vote for it, come
            voting, if I already knew it before?"). Er, ... let's say in
            principle no; you can only vote for it if it was also YOUR first
            exposure to it, at LBGC, during 2007. But don't agonise too much -
            no-one will check! And it's only for fun.

            But it means that if the club "discovers" an old game, new to most of
            us that year, and it becomes a favourite, it CAN be voted "Best new
            Game" (for us), without everyone having to know date of first
            publication. OK, Neil?

            Bob

            --- In lbgc@..., David Bullions <davebullions@...>

            Message 5 of 15 , Jan 7, 2008
              I agree with Dave B. :

              Question 2: Also a good idea, as long as peoples feelings are not
              hurt when the winner of the wooden spoon turns out to be a game they
              own.

              I wonder whether this will be more fun than hurtful? Not so much
              that it's a game they OWN, but if it's one they tabled as their
              favourite ("You're gonna love this ..."); or even invented
              ("Labyrinth" is exemp from this category, or I might get hurt!)

              But what the heck:

              If Neil DOES do it, I nominate:

              1. ORIGINS. Slower than the evolution it reprsents, but without the
              excitement of sudden changes over only half a million years.

              2. PUERTO RICO. It's "Accountancy for fun", with no high points
              worth the name.

              3, ACQUIRE. High on BBG. A really clever "Accountancy for fun",
              but see point 2. Oh, we didn't play it in 2007? What a shame! ;-)

              wrote:

              > Hi Neil (& anyone else reading this)
              >
              > Question 1: Sounds like a good idea. A new game, for me, is one I
              haven't played before. And I can't be bothered to look up dates of
              publication.

              > Question 2: Also a good idea, as long as peoples feelings are not
              hurt when the winner of the wooden spoon turns out to be a game they
              own.

              > Dave
              >
              > To: lbgc@...
              > From: welfarerights@...
              > Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 08:17:22 +0000
              > Subject: [lbgc] nominations

              > A reminder that there is one week to go before the
              nominations phase

              > ends.
              >
              > Question 1? Perikles was released in 2006 yet including myself
              there

              > are 4 nominations for it as new game (i would add it as well to my
              list

              > of two new games nominated). Shall we include in this category any
              game

              > that was played for the first time at the club in 2007 as well
              those

              > released/published in the year? I am in favour.
              >

              > Q2: Andrew has suggested a wooden spoon category - are we in favour
              of

              > this? I am and i will nominate that origins 'how we became bored
              very

              > quickly' game.

              > Get Hotmail on your mobile, text MSN to 63463!
              > http://mobile.uk.msn.com/pc/mail.aspx

            • Garner
              Message 6 of 15 , Jan 7, 2008
                well I won't be voting for PR under the worst game category. Acquire does suffer from heavy randomness potentially leaving a player sitting there doing nothing with all their money invested and no merger in sight.

                I'm going to avoid the nominations phase and just vote when the votes come around.

                Looking forward to coming along to the club again this weekend.

                Happy New Year to all at the club.

                Brian

                I agree with Dave B. :

                --
                Brian
                http://bofarrell.blogspot.com/
                Message 7 of 15 , Jan 7, 2008
                  We should not take the suggestions for worst game too seriously, they
                  will probably reveal more about our tastes in gaming than the games
                  themselves. I doubt there's any game all the members dislike.
                  Anyway for me:

                  Containers - too much like hard work doing all those computations
                  about prices and profits and victory points. I'm a qualified
                  accountant I should like this but it does not float my boat. Plus
                  its naff to look at. Or maybe it was to do with coming last over 100
                  VPs behind, my sorriest ever defeat in a board game...

                  Andrew

                  Message 8 of 15 , Jan 7, 2008
                    '1. ORIGINS. Slower than the evolution it reprsents, but without the
                    excitement of sudden changes over only half a million years.'

                    thats my first proper laugh of the day - nice one!

                    wooden spoon - well i have no objection and i think it is only in fun.
                    Besides 'if' a game i liked was voted wooden spoon then by definition
                    you would all be wrong :)

                    As for new game - i agree with Dave/Bob's comments - its our show so we
                    can do what we like and i feel a game thats 'new' to the club/players
                    in the year is fair enough - thanks for the input - the category feels
                    better now.
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jan 8, 2008
                      Quote: "Or maybe it was to do with coming last over 100
                      VPs behind, my sorriest ever defeat in a board game..."
                      ............nuff said ;-)

                      To: lbgc@...
                      From: maclandr@...
                      Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 21:48:52 +0000
                      Subject: [lbgc] Re: nominations

                      Message 10 of 15 , Jan 8, 2008

                        Containers - too much like hard work doing all those computations

                        > about prices and profits and victory points. I'm a qualified
                        >
                        > accountant I should like this but it does not float my boat. Plus
                        >
                        > its naff to look at. Or maybe it was to do with coming last over 100
                        >
                        > VPs behind, my sorriest ever defeat in a board game...

                        so thats why i lost - couldn't be bothered to work things out - i just aimed to get what blocks i could.

                      • Garner
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jan 8, 2008
                          Don't worry Andrew I didn't take it personally. I've come around to preferring Caylus to PR now anyway.

                          I did enjoy Containers (even with the EasyShipping antics), haven't played Hamburgnen though, would love to.

                          Brian

                          Message 12 of 15 , Jan 8, 2008
                            Brian

                            I agree with you about Hamburgum. I would like to play that again. Not as good as Imperial (by the same designer but totally different theme), but worth another play.
                            Also Antike hasn't seen much action since the rise of Imperial. I must get around to bringing it back to the club.

                            Dave

                            To: lbgc@...
                            From: garner.ucd@...
                            Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2008 09:41:39 +0000
                            Subject: Re: [lbgc] Re: nominations

                            On 08/01/2008, Neil Parker <vedantananda@ googlemail. com> wrote:

                            Containers - too much like hard work doing all those computations

                            > about prices and profits and victory points. I'm a qualified
                            >
                            > accountant I should like this but it does not float my boat. Plus
                            >
                            > its naff to look at. Or maybe it was to do with coming last over 100
                            >
                            > VPs behind, my sorriest ever defeat in a board game...

                            so thats why i lost - couldn't be bothered to work things out - i just aimed to get what blocks i could.

                            --
                            Brian
                            http://bofarrell. blogspot. com/
                            http://viewingsport .blogspot. com/

                            Messenger on the move. Text MSN to 63463 now!
                          • Garner
                            Message 13 of 15 , Jan 8, 2008
                              Dave,

                              Antike is a great game. I'm planning on buying that this year. But Hamburgum is definitely a game I want to play soon. I don't know Imperial at all actually.

                              Where are the nominations posted anyway?

                              Brian

                              To: lbgc@...
                              From: garner.ucd@...
                              Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2008 09:41:39 +0000

                              Message 14 of 15 , Jan 8, 2008
                                Brian

                                Antike, Imperial & Hamburgum are all from the same designer and all feature the rondal mechanic, but are completely different games from each other so comparing one with another can be a bit unfair. Imperial seems to be the most popular. It is well thought of on the BoardGameGeek website and also at our club. It gets played about 4 or 5 times a year (maybe more), so you will get a chance of playing it.
                                As for the nominations, just put your nominations in the form of an email to lbgc@... or visit the website site and post it there.

                                Dave

                                To: lbgc@...

                                From: garner.ucd@gmail. com
                                Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2008 09:41:39 +0000

                                Don't worry Andrew I didn't take it personally. I've come around to preferring Caylus to PR now anyway.

                                I did enjoy Containers (even with the EasyShipping antics), haven't played Hamburgnen though, would love to.

                                Brian

                                On 08/01/2008, Neil Parker <vedantananda@ googlemail. com > wrote:
                                Containers - too much like hard work doing all those computations

                                > about prices and profits and victory points. I'm a qualified
                                >
                                > accountant I should like this but it does not float my boat. Plus
                                >
                                > its naff to look at. Or maybe it was to do with coming last over 100
                                >
                                > VPs behind, my sorriest ever defeat in a board game...

                                so thats why i lost - couldn't be bothered to work things out - i just aimed to get what blocks i could.

                                --
                                Brian
                                http://bofarrell. blogspot. com/
                                http://viewingsport .blogspot. com/

                                Messenger on the move. Text MSN to 63463 now!

                                --
                                Brian
                                http://bofarrell. blogspot. com/
                                http://viewingsport .blogspot. com/

                                Everything in one place. All new Windows Live!
                                Message 15 of 15 , Jan 8, 2008
                                  Not played Hamburgum - would like to at some point. Antike is not a bad
                                  game and it has some nice features, but for me it seems too predictable
                                  and there are higher priority games to play - that said i'd play it
                                  again - at some point. Imperial is popular because of its game within a
                                  game - and yes its likely to get 3+ plays this year - i would recommend
                                  it.