Games you most want to try, and most want to re-visit after years

    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 1, 2008
      I've thought of a topic - this one.

      Just like Neil's awards, this also might affect what gets played at the
      club, so it's not just idle chat ...

      It's always easy to want to play a game we've recently played before
      and liked. Great. This topic leaves those out.

      A. What games that you have never played do you most want to try, even
      if you don't own it and can't bring it? Name 1, 2 or 3 games.

      B. What games have you not played for many years, but would like to
      play one more time, if only for nostalgia? Even if you don't own it
      and can't bring it. Name 1, 2 or 3 games.

      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 1, 2008
        Here's mine:

        A. Never played:
        1. Republic of Rome
        2. Antike
        3. Lord of the Rings Confrontation

        B. Oldies:
        1. Kingmaker
        2. Diplomacy
        3. Escape from Colditz

        Obviously I could make both lists longer ...

        > I've thought of a topic - this one.
        >
        > Just like Neil's awards, this also might affect what gets played at
        the
        > club, so it's not just idle chat ...
        >
        > It's always easy to want to play a game we've recently played
        before
        > and liked. Great. This topic leaves those out.
        >
        > A. What games that you have never played do you most want to try,
        even
        > if you don't own it and can't bring it? Name 1, 2 or 3 games.
        >
        > B. What games have you not played for many years, but would like
        > play one more time, if only for nostalgia? Even if you don't own
        it
        > and can't bring it. Name 1, 2 or 3 games.
        >
        > Bob

      • Garner
        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 1, 2008
          A. Never played
          1. Roads and Boats
          2. Republic of Rome
          3. Hamburgen

          B. Oldies:
          1. Railway Rivals or Dampfross in original German.
          2. Machiavelli
          3. Manhattan or El Grande
          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 1, 2008

            Nice idea Bob.

            a) Games that you have never played. (No idea if they are any good, but i'd try them..) I'm ignoring two-player games that i want to try like Twilight Struggle, Hannibal: Carthage v Rome).

            1.  Republic of Rome 2. Hamburgum 3.  New version of Warrior Knights.

            b) Games that you have not played for many years, but would like to play one more time, if only for nostalgia.

            1. Kings and Things 2. Axis and Allies Revised - with house rule amendments. 3. Old Warrior Knights (but only in the absence of 3. above) - i have all these three.

            Neil

            > I've thought of a topic - this one.
            >
            > Just like Neil's awards, this also might affect what gets played at the
            > club, so it's not just idle chat ...
            >
            > It's always easy to want to play a game we've recently played before
            > and liked. Great. This topic leaves those out.
            >
            > A. What games that you have never played do you most want to try, even
            > if you don't own it and can't bring it? Name 1, 2 or 3 games.
            >
            > B. What games that you have never played, but would like to
            > play one more time, if only for nostalgia? Even if you don't own it
            > and can't bring it. Name 1, 2 or 3 games.
            >
            > Bob

          • dowsell2
            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 1, 2008
              A: Like to try:

              Roads and Boats
              Agricola (before the Engilsh version comes out)
              Age of Empires III
              Imperial
              Samurai

              B: Not played for ages

              Euphrat and Tigris
              Escape from Colditz
              Formula De

              I have copies of several of these games and just need to find time and
              people to play them.

              Keith.
            • Dave Bullions
              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 1, 2008
                Games never played but would like to play:
                Blackbeard
                Machellevelli (please excuse spelling)
                Roads & Boats
                Starfarers of Catan
                Galactic Destiny

                Games I haven't played for many years etc:
                Diplomacy
                Advanced Civilisation (only ever played Civ, not Adv Civ)
                Cosmic Encounter (with all races, flares etc)
                Kingmaker

                > I've thought of a topic - this one.
                >
                > Just like Neil's awards, this also might affect what gets played at the
                > club, so it's not just idle chat ...
                >
                > It's always easy to want to play a game we've recently played before
                > and liked. Great. This topic leaves those out.
                >
                > A. What games that you have never played do you most want to try, even
                > if you don't own it and can't bring it? Name 1, 2 or 3 games.
                >
                > B. What games have you not played for many years, but would like to
                > play one more time, if only for nostalgia? Even if you don't own it
                > and can't bring it. Name 1, 2 or 3 games.
                >
                > Bob

              • George Young
                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 1, 2008
                  A. Never played:
                  1. Republic of Rome (enjoy long games)
                  2. Road & Boats
                  3. Starcraft
                  4. Age of Empires III
                  5. Imperial

                  B. Oldies:
                  1. Escape from Colditz (This is such an old classic that needs to be
                  updated, maybe a good challenge for the LBGC)
                  2. Cosmic Encounter
                  3. Dune
                  4. Talisman (2nd or 4th Editions)
                • Garner
                  Message 8 of 16 , Feb 1, 2008
                    I have Talisman 4th. But Dune is a good shout for the oldies. Should have thought of that one, but if you're going to pick more than 3, you'll get crackers in there.

                    I don't have Roads & Boats, but I think I could get my hands on it. Though not easily. I have another game of theirs Indonesia which is very good.

                    --
                    Brian
                    http://bofarrell.blogspot.com/
                    Message 9 of 16 , Feb 1, 2008
                      Indonesia is a game that needs to be introduced at the club however it
                      needs someone who has a good grasp on the rules (Start reading
                      Stuart). Its a shame GW has again stopped the development of Talisman.
                      Now thats a game I would like to see FFG develop, good old roll and
                      move beer & pretzel game.

                      George

                      Message 10 of 16 , Feb 1, 2008
                        I've played Indonesia many times and have a full grasp on the rules. More than happy to introduce the game to the club.
                        It is one of my favourite games actually.

                        Message 11 of 16 , Feb 2, 2008
                          It would be great if FFG did a revamp of Talisman in the way only
                          they know how with modern mechanics - the 4th ed. is essentially the
                          2nd ed. from what i gather. Good old game thats rather obsolete in
                          terms of mechanics.

                          In addition to the games i've already identified, i'd play Cosmic
                          Encounter, Indonesia, Blackbeard, Dune - all sound good - like to see
                          a FFG version of Kings and Things. Played Dune before as House
                          Atreides - worth another play.

                          For me Cosmic Encounter and Indonesia have been mentioned a few
                          times - they ought to get an airing.

                          --- In lbgc@..., "George Young" <george.young9@...>

                          Message 12 of 16 , Feb 2, 2008
                            I do have a copy of Roads and Boats so that's definitely an option,
                            providing Bob isn't too worried about us finishing on time.

                            I'll be playing TI3 tomorrow, but I'll bring it along next time I'm
                            around for a regular session.

                            Keith.
                          • macleodandrew
                            Message 13 of 16 , Feb 18, 2008
                              I would like to try, if I ever get round to reading the rules,
                              Twilight Struggle, Blood Feud in New York and also the WWII games
                              Axis & Allies/Tide of Iron/Combat Commander.

                              I played Diplomacy for about 2 hours on Christmas Day one year when I
                              was about 12 but we stopped for dinner and I never had the chance to
                              play it again. Always the problem with board games unless you play
                              in a club! Don't know what happened to the copy of the game. As its
                              so famous it would be interesting to play it at least once. I've
                              heard of Escape from Colditz from the distant past as well, knew
                              someone who had it but never played it...sounds fun. It would be
                              interesting to play one of the better Risk variants as well, if not
                              the original.

                              Andrew.

                              > Here's mine:
                              >
                              > A. Never played:
                              > 1. Republic of Rome
                              > 2. Antike
                              > 3. Lord of the Rings Confrontation
                              >
                              > B. Oldies:
                              > 1. Kingmaker
                              > 2. Diplomacy
                              > 3. Escape from Colditz
                              >
                              > Obviously I could make both lists longer ...
                              >
                              > Bob
                              >

                              > --- In lbgc@..., "Founder." <bobroscow@> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > I've thought of a topic - this one.
                              > >
                              > > Just like Neil's awards, this also might affect what gets played
                              at
                              > the
                              > > club, so it's not just idle chat ...
                              > >
                              > > It's always easy to want to play a game we've recently played
                              > before
                              > > and liked. Great. This topic leaves those out.
                              > >
                              > > A. What games that you have never played do you most want to
                              try,
                              > even
                              > > if you don't own it and can't bring it? Name 1, 2 or 3 games.
                              > >
                              > > B. What games have you not played for many years, but would like
                              > > play one more time, if only for nostalgia? Even if you don't own
                              > it
                              > > and can't bring it. Name 1, 2 or 3 games.
                              > >
                              > > Bob

                            • macleodandrew
                              Message 14 of 16 , Feb 18, 2008
                                Dave, Bob and I played the new edition of Talisman at the games fair
                                in Tring last November. It was exactly the same as the previous
                                version as far as I could see except for artistic design of the board
                                and some of the bits and pieces. Fun game but too luck driven even
                                for me. Andrew

                                Message 15 of 16 , Feb 19, 2008
                                  Nice one Andrew,

                                  I'll bring Axis and Allies Revised again next session i make - its easy
                                  learn and play and you can easily complete a game in a session at lbgc -
                                  3-4 hours or even less if i'm Japan - takes 2-5 players. The newer
                                  version is better than the classic version.

                                  I'm likely to buy the expansion for TOI which includes the Brits -
                                  there's a three way scenario in there apparently. The standard
                                  scenarios take anywhere between 2-4 hours - add 30 mins for set-up and
                                  explanation of rules and there are some short scenarios which easily fit
                                  in a session. Either way - i'll bring that too, but not at the same time
                                  as A&A.

                                  I'm keen for both these games to see active service at the club at some
                                  point (soonish).

                                  Neil

                                  --- In lbgc@..., "macleodandrew" <maclandr@...> wrote:

                                  > I would like to try, if I ever get round to reading the rules,
                                  > Twilight Struggle, Blood Feud in New York and also the WWII games
                                  > Axis & Allies/Tide of Iron/Combat Commander.
                                  >
                                  > I played Diplomacy for about 2 hours on Christmas Day one year when I
                                  > was about 12 but we stopped for dinner and I never had the chance to
                                  > play it again. Always the problem with board games unless you play
                                  > in a club! Don't know what happened to the copy of the game. As its
                                  > so famous it would be interesting to play it at least once. I've
                                  > heard of Escape from Colditz from the distant past as well, knew
                                  > someone who had it but never played it...sounds fun. It would be
                                  > interesting to play one of the better Risk variants as well, if not
                                  > the original.
                                  >
                                  > Andrew.
                                  >

                                  > --- In lbgc@..., "Founder." bobroscow@ wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > Here's mine:
                                  > >
                                  > > A. Never played:
                                  > > 1. Republic of Rome
                                  > > 2. Antike
                                  > > 3. Lord of the Rings Confrontation
                                  > >
                                  > > B. Oldies:
                                  > > 1. Kingmaker
                                  > > 2. Diplomacy
                                  > > 3. Escape from Colditz
                                  > >
                                  > > Obviously I could make both lists longer ...
                                  > >
                                  > > Bob
                                  > >

                                  > > --- In lbgc@..., "Founder." <bobroscow@> wrote:
                                  > > >
                                  > > > I've thought of a topic - this one.
                                  > > >
                                  > > > Just like Neil's awards, this also might affect what gets played
                                  > at
                                  > > the
                                  > > > club, so it's not just idle chat ...
                                  > > >
                                  > > > It's always easy to want to play a game we've recently played
                                  > > before
                                  > > > and liked. Great. This topic leaves those out.
                                  > > >
                                  > > > A. What games that you have never played do you most want to
                                  > try,
                                  > > even
                                  > > > if you don't own it and can't bring it? Name 1, 2 or 3 games.
                                  > > >
                                  > > > B. What games have you not played for many years, but would like
                                  > > > play one more time, if only for nostalgia? Even if you don't own
                                  > > it
                                  > > > and can't bring it. Name 1, 2 or 3 games.
                                  > > >
                                  > > > Bob

                                • Garner
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Feb 23, 2008
                                    It is a re-working of 2nd Ed, they have ironed out some discrepancies and brought in some things from some of the expansions.

                                    I have it, I pre-ordered a copy whilst I was at GenConUK down in Reading.

                                    I've played it a few times and yes it is incredibly random but a good laugh for a few hours with mates and beer.

                                    Brian