An Imperial fun-league?

    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 26, 2008
      Hi guys!

      I like having these leagues on Perikles and Team RoboRally. They are
      not turning out to narrow us into mainly playing them. They add a
      dimension when we DO play them. And they give us something else to
      post on the site ...

      SO, how about a third league-table ... for Imperial? It got played
      the session-before-last, and the session before that, and seems to be
      a favourite that will get played repeatedly?

      There's no reason that it should be ME as scorekeeper. I nominate
      NeilP. OK by you, Neil?

      I mention it now because it's only 9 days since we last played it, so
      you guys might REMEMBER who came 1st, 2nd 3rd etc. in order to get
      the table started. A league-table only looks OK after the second
      game, but you need a first to get it started...

      I can remind you that the 6 who played it on 17 Feb 08 were DaveB,
      KeithD, NeilP, GeorgeY, MartialC and HenningS. I recall hearing that
      KeithD won, but not the other placings. But it's only 9 days ago.
      Post here, all of you, on your recollections of who scored second,
      third etc. In fact, also feel free to give your version of how the
      game went, and why/how you won or lost!

      I can also remind you that the 5 of you who played it on 10 Feb were
      BrianO, DaveB, StuartF, TomasP and Stania (I'm 99% sure). So maybe
      you can remember who came 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th that day, if you all
      chip in, so as to have TWO games to start the league-table with. I
      recall that BrianO won, but you need to remember placings for a
      league. That would make 2 games and a decent first league-table.

      Neil can choose a scoring system and post the league. Probably best
      to copy the LEAGUE-formula of Perikles and Team RR, for uniformity,
      ie cumulated points divided by games-played+1. But up to you what
      points you earn, for positions in games of 4, 5 or 6. Eg your call
      as to whether coming first is only slightly rewarded over coming
      second, or else a big gap. What do you think, Neil?

      Bob
    • Garner
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 26, 2008
        Bob,

        We played Antike on the 10th not Imperial.

        Brian

        http://bofarrell.blogspot.com/
        http://viewingsport.blogspot.com/
        http://lookintothisweek.blogspot.com/
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 26, 2008
          Really? I'm sure you must be right, since you won it. I was two
          floors down, and my notes were a week later!

          But that leaves Neil a nice choice: you can keep it to Imperial, or
          even make it an Imperial/Antike league! Lateral, huh? After all,
          they're similar and by the sdame designer, the one apparently an
          advanced version of the other. Lacks some purity, but means you get
          off the ground with 2 sets of results instead of just one.

          Brian, you may also remember who came 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th in that
          Antike you won?

          Cheers,
          Bob

          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 26, 2008
            BrianO, StuartF/Stania , DaveB, TomasP.
            I think is how it finished, Stuart and Stania were on the same points, not sure of tiebreak conditions in the game, and what the conditions were in the game to trigger them.

            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 26, 2008

              It was Antike that was played. I think the two should be kept separate in any event. In terms of running a league, sure as Imperial is likely to get 4-5 plays in the year - don't feel like running it mind. The placings for the Imperial game were: Keith, George, myself, then (i'm unsure of this) Martial, Henning and Dave.

              This all raises the question that we could have leagues, run by a different player, for all our popular games - so in addition to those already mentioned, we can add Struggle of Empires and Railroad Tycoon - both likely to get 4 plays a year or thereabouts.

              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 27, 2008
                Brian

                A bit of confusion, I think, which I am happy to put right.
                1. Antike: I didn't play, although it was my copy that was used. So I couldn't possibly have finished 3rd.
                2. Imperial: This was played the following week, if I remember correctly. I was controlling Germany and that was my only country. So, of course, I finished in last place.

                Dave

                To: lbgc@...
                From: garner.ucd@...
                Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 14:37:01 +0000
                Subject: Re: [lbgc] Re: An Imperial fun-league?

                --- In lbgc@yahoogroups. co.uk, Garner <garner.ucd@. ..> wrote:

                > Bob,
                >
                > We played Antike on the 10th not Imperial.
                >
                > Brian
                >

                > On 26/02/2008, Founder. <bobroscow@.. .> wrote:
                > >
                > > Hi guys!
                > >
                > > I like having these leagues on Perikles and Team RoboRally. They
                are
                > > not turning out to narrow us into mainly playing them. They add a
                > > dimension when we DO play them. And they give us something else to
                > > post on the site ...
                > >
                > > SO, how about a third league-table ... for Imperial? It got played
                > > the session-before- last, and the session before that, and seems
                to be
                > > a favourite that will get played repeatedly?
                > >
                > > There's no reason that it should be ME as scorekeeper. I nominate
                > > NeilP. OK by you, Neil?
                > >
                > > I mention it now because it's only 9 days since we last played
                it, so
                > > you guys might REMEMBER who came 1st, 2nd 3rd etc. in order to get
                > > the table started. A league-table only looks OK after the second
                > > game, but you need a first to get it started...
                > >
                > > I can remind you that the 6 who played it on 17 Feb 08 were DaveB,
                > > KeithD, NeilP, GeorgeY, MartialC and HenningS. I recall hearing
                that
                > > KeithD won, but not the other placings. But it's only 9 days ago.
                > > Post here, all of you, on your recollections of who scored second,
                > > third etc. In fact, also feel free to give your version of how the
                > > game went, and why/how you won or lost!
                > >
                > > I can also remind you that the 5 of you who played it on 10 Feb
                were
                > > BrianO, DaveB, StuartF, TomasP and Stania (I'm 99% sure). So maybe
                > > you can remember who came 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th that day, if you all
                > > chip in, so as to have TWO games to start the league-table with. I
                > > recall that BrianO won, but you need to remember placings for a
                > > league. That would make 2 games and a decent first league-table.
                > >
                > > Neil can choose a scoring system and post the league. Probably
                best
                > > to copy the LEAGUE-formula of Perikles and Team RR, for
                uniformity,
                > > ie cumulated points divided by games-played+ 1. But up to you what
                > > points you earn, for positions in games of 4, 5 or 6. Eg your call
                > > as to whether coming first is only slightly rewarded over coming
                > > second, or else a big gap. What do you think, Neil?
                > >
                > > Bob
                > >

                > --
                > Brian
                > http://bofarrell. blogspot. com/
                > http://viewingsport .blogspot. com/
                > http://lookintothis week.blogspot. com/

                --
                Brian
                http://bofarrell. blogspot. com/
                http://viewingsport .blogspot. com/
                http://lookintothis week.blogspot. com/

                Sounds like? How many syllables? Guess and win prizes with Search Charades!
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 27, 2008
                  Since I own copies of Antike & Imperial, I would be at the club on the days when those games are played (even if I am not actually playing them).  So it kinda makes sense for me to keep records of the results.  I don't mind doing that if no one else wants to do it.  I don't know what points system to use.  I can only suggest the last place person gets 1 point, the next person 2 points & so on.  I don't want to make it too complicated (with averages, handicaps etc) if I am the person running it.

                  Dave

                  To: lbgc@...
                  From: vedantananda@...
                  Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 14:41:05 +0000
                  Subject: [lbgc] Re: An Imperial fun-league?

                  --- In lbgc@yahoogroups. co.uk, "Founder." <bobroscow@.. .> wrote:

> [...]
                  > > >
                  > > > I can also remind you that the 5 of you who played it on 10 Feb
                  > were
                  > > > BrianO, DaveB, StuartF, TomasP and Stania (I'm 99% sure). So maybe
                  > > > you can remember who came 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th that day, if you all
                  > > > chip in, so as to have TWO games to start the league-table with. I
                  > > > recall that BrianO won, but you need to remember placings for a
                  > > > league. That would make 2 games and a decent first league-table.
                  > > >
                  > > > Neil can choose a scoring system and post the league. Probably
                  > best
                  > > > to copy the LEAGUE-formula of Perikles and Team RR, for
                  > uniformity,
                  > > > ie cumulated points divided by games-played+ 1. But up to you what
                  > > > points you earn, for positions in games of 4, 5 or 6. Eg your call
                  > > > as to whether coming first is only slightly rewarded over coming
                  > > > second, or else a big gap. What do you think, Neil?

                  Messenger on the move. Text MSN to 63463 now!
                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 3, 2008
                    I'm persuaded by Neil: let's keep Antike and Imperial separate.
                    Which probably means only a league on Imperial and no league on
                    Antike. Good.

                    Thanks Dave; do the record-keeping any way you like. I'd suggest
                    you give the winner more than just one more point than the guy who
                    comes second. Eg five players get 1,2,3,4 and 6 points. Or 4
                    players 1,2,3 and 5 points. We can always do some form of averaging
                    much later, if ever, if someone is leading only because they've
                    played twice as many times as anyone else.

                    So you have the results for Sun 17 Feb to kick it off.

                    I stand corrected about Sun 10 Feb, when it was Antike not Imperial.
                    I was two floors away at the time.

                    I was trying to find TWO game-results, as that always gets a league-
                    table off to a better start than just the list order from one game!

                    I don't suppose anybody remembers winner AND order of 2nd, 3rd, 4th
                    for the PREVIOUS time you played Imperial, 7 Oct 2007? It was DaveB,
                    FelixK, TomasP and JosepA playing, while AndrewM, AllanM and I played
                    Labyrinth. I remember that FelixK definitely won, and that JosepA
                    said he came third. I THINK the order was FelixK, TomasP, JosepA,
                    DaveB. Or maybe FelixK, DaveB, JosepA, TomasP. Surely DaveB or
                    TomasP would remember whether they came second or last in that
                    foursome? Just to get the league started with two results so far?

                    OK, Dave, over to you. I'd be happy enough to record all the 3 or 4
                    leagues myself, but I don't want to be a control-freak! So thanks.

                    Bob

                    --- In lbgc@..., David Bullions <davebullions@...>