Age

  • Allan Mertner
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 13, 2008
      On Wednesday this week, I could truthfully claim to be 29 years old.
      Friends would sometimes look a little dubiously at me at this, but I
      was mostly able to convince people of the truth of it.

      Alas, on Thursday the 11th, things changed. I am not now 30 as you
      might have expected - I am in fact 42. Gone are the sweet twenties,
      and the mid-forties with all that entails (beer belly, midlife crisis,
      stomach ulcer, not enough time for boardgames and teenage kids) loom.

      How can this all have happened to me, so quickly?

      Any takers?
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 13, 2008
        I'll have a stab at it. Just got to use up a few more words first, so
        that my stab at it comes lower down than the first sentence or two, so
        that anybody will only see my attempt if they click for the full text,
        blah, blah, that should do it.

        Erm, maybe you're using the sextidecimal (16-imal) system? So that 41
        became 29? So now you've just become twenty-ten rather than thirty?
        No?

        Bob

        In lbgc@..., "Allan Mertner" <allan@...> wrote:

        > On Wednesday this week, I could truthfully claim to be 29 years old.
        > Friends would sometimes look a little dubiously at me at this, but I
        > was mostly able to convince people of the truth of it.
        >
        > Alas, on Thursday the 11th, things changed. I am not now 30 as you
        > might have expected - I am in fact 42. Gone are the sweet twenties,
        > and the mid-forties with all that entails (beer belly, midlife crisis,
        > stomach ulcer, not enough time for boardgames and teenage kids) loom.
        >
        > How can this all have happened to me, so quickly?
        >
        > Any takers?
        > Allan

      • Allan
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 13, 2008
          Yes, that is of course the answer.

          As a silver lining, my age is now the same as the answer to Life, the Universe and Everything :-)

          Thanks for replying!
          Allan

          Sent from my iPod

          In lbgc@yahoogroups. co.uk, "Allan Mertner" <allan@...> wrote:

          > On Wednesday this week, I could truthfully claim to be 29 years old.
          > Friends would sometimes look a little dubiously at me at this, but I
          > was mostly able to convince people of the truth of it.
          >
          > Alas, on Thursday the 11th, things changed. I am not now 30 as you
          > might have expected - I am in fact 42. Gone are the sweet twenties,
          > and the mid-forties with all that entails (beer belly, midlife crisis,
          > stomach ulcer, not enough time for boardgames and teenage kids) loom.
          >
          > How can this all have happened to me, so quickly?
          >
          > Any takers?
          > Allan

        • felixkrul
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 14, 2008
            Hi Alan,

            besides from a 'happy birthday', I have a better one than changing
            the number system on the fly...: You reduced the angle!

            hae?

            Well, as we all know: 9*6 = 42, right?

            If you think of a scalar product, this is actually possible:
            Let's say, you have a scalar product of two vectors A=9 and B=6 with
            the lengths of a=9 and b=6.
            Then the scalar product would be
            A*B = a*b*cos(alpha)
            where alpha = angle between A and B.
            As we define A*B = 42, this means that the 'Douglas Adams world
            answer angle' would be
            alpha = arccos(A*B/a*b) = arccos(42/54) = 38.94244 Degrees
            If we now say that the year before the equation is (completely
            arbitrarily, of course)
            9*6 = 41
            then the angle would be
            arccos(41/54) =
            40.60106 degrees
            Therefore you reduced your angle by more than one degree!
            qed

            cheers

            Felix

            'Very strange people, physicists. In m,y experience, the ones who
            aren't actually dead are in some way very ill' (D. Adams)

            --- In lbgc@..., Allan <allan@...> wrote:

            > Yes, that is of course the answer.
            >
            > As a silver lining, my age is now the same as the answer to Life,
            the
            > Universe and Everything :-)
            >
            > Thanks for replying!
            > Allan
            >
            > Sent from my iPod
            >
            > On 13 Dec 2008, at 22:26, "Founder." <bobroscow@...> wrote:
            >
            > > I'll have a stab at it. Just got to use up a few more words
            first, so
            > > that my stab at it comes lower down than the first sentence or
            two, so
            > > that anybody will only see my attempt if they click for the full
            text,
            > > blah, blah, that should do it.
            > >
            > > Erm, maybe you're using the sextidecimal (16-imal) system? So
            that 41
            > > became 29? So now you've just become twenty-ten rather than
            thirty?
            > > No?
            > >
            > > Bob
            > >
            > > In lbgc@..., "Allan Mertner" <allan@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > On Wednesday this week, I could truthfully claim to be 29 years
            old.
            > > > Friends would sometimes look a little dubiously at me at this,
            but I
            > > > was mostly able to convince people of the truth of it.
            > > >
            > > > Alas, on Thursday the 11th, things changed. I am not now 30 as
            you
            > > > might have expected - I am in fact 42. Gone are the sweet
            twenties,
            > > > and the mid-forties with all that entails (beer belly, midlife
            > > crisis,
            > > > stomach ulcer, not enough time for boardgames and teenage
            kids)
            > > loom.
            > > >
            > > > How can this all have happened to me, so quickly?
            > > >
            > > > Any takers?
            > > > Allan

          • Felix Krul
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 15, 2008
              Hi Dave,

              you might be right!
              grin...

              Cheers

              Felix

              P.S.: I was like that before... I'm afraid that IS 'normal' for me.
              Only for certain values of 'normal', of course.

              -----Urspr√ľngliche Nachricht-----

              --- In lbgc@..., Allan <allan@...> wrote:

              > Yes, that is of course the answer.
              >
              > As a silver lining, my age is now the same as the answer to Life,
              the
              > Universe and Everything :-)
              >
              > Thanks for replying!
              > Allan
              >
              > Sent from my iPod
              >
              > On 13 Dec 2008, at 22:26, "Founder." <bobroscow@...> wrote:
              >
              > > I'll have a stab at it. Just got to use up a few more words
              first, so
              > > that my stab at it comes lower down than the first sentence or
              two, so
              > > that anybody will only see my attempt if they click for the full
              text,
              > > blah, blah, that should do it.
              > >
              > > Erm, maybe you're using the sextidecimal (16-imal) system? So
              that 41
              > > became 29? So now you've just become twenty-ten rather than
              thirty?
              > > No?
              > >
              > > Bob
              > >
              > > In lbgc@..., "Allan Mertner" <allan@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > On Wednesday this week, I could truthfully claim to be 29 years
              old.
              > > > Friends would sometimes look a little dubiously at me at this,
              but I
              > > > was mostly able to convince people of the truth of it.
              > > >
              > > > Alas, on Thursday the 11th, things changed. I am not now 30 as
              you
              > > > might have expected - I am in fact 42. Gone are the sweet
              twenties,
              > > > and the mid-forties with all that entails (beer belly, midlife
              > > crisis,
              > > > stomach ulcer, not enough time for boardgames and teenage
              kids)
              > > loom.
              > > >
              > > > How can this all have happened to me, so quickly?
              > > >
              > > > Any takers?
              > > > Allan

              Great search results, great prizes. BigSnapSearch.com Search now__._,_
              .___
              Messages in this topic (5) Reply (via web post) | Start a new
              topic
              Messages | Files | Photos | Links | Database | Polls | Members |
              Calendar

              Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch
              format to Traditional

              Recent Activity Visit Your Group

              Yahoo! 360
              Share what matters