PERIKLES LEAGUE, Game 9.

    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 6, 2009
      4 people played Perikles last Sunday, thus enjoying it hugely and also
      pushing onwards the Perikles League positions.

      Latest result (Game 9 of 1/2/09):

      AllanM … B15….S19…C19…Total 53…...1st…….5 pts
      FelixK……B15……S18…..C10…Total 43….2nd…..3 pts
      HenningS…B3….S15…C12…Total 30….3rd…..2 pts
      ZoranD….B4…..S10….C12…Total 26…4th…….1 pt

      As for how that affects the league, after now 9 games, we'll wait for
      AllanM to pronounce on that with a shiny new league chart in full
      colour, in due course, no hurry.

      I've collated the results of the 8 previous games for you, Allan, in a
      separate mail to you, for you to work on whenever. But since you're
      doing well in it, I expect it sooner rather than later!?

      That Game 9? Hmm. I was only half-watching. (Any of the 4 actual
      players are very welcome to give a straight or fun report on how it
      went). I'll have a go:

      Allan's early brilliant play was temporarily given a setback by the
      other 3 wickedly conspiring against him. But then Allan came through,
      despite them, by cleverly spotting the Athens/Sparta rule, and
      bringing the game to a close just in time for him to grab the win.
      Fair?

      (I might be exaggerating a little - I want to enthuse Allan to
      construct/improve the Perikles league ...!)

      Allan, as the mail to you says, the formula for league used to be:
      League points, divided by "games played +1". Just like in TRR.
      However, I somewhere also tried it as league points, divided by TWICE
      games played, +1. I think it was because the difference between
      Perikles and TRR is that you are less likely for your rating to go
      DOWN after a bad game? Whereas in TRR there are winners and losers?
      Anyway, you're the league boss on this - YOU choose a formula, which
      is ideally both fair and volatile. And preferably a formula that
      doesn't make you overtake me in the Perikles yet!

      Cheers,
      Bob
    • Allan Mertner
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 8, 2009
        Hi Bob and everyone,

        As promised, I have typed in the results of all of our Perikles games and have posted the first updated league table based on the game we played on Feb 1st.  As you can  tell, I chose my moment for this - until now, I have not exactly been dping brilliantly:
        [Updated league table]

        However, in this last game I managed to sneak a win (as Bob described, by sneakily forcing the game to end after just 2 instead of the normal 3 rounds), which gave me a big jump up the tables.

        Bob remains in position 1 - he has won 3 times and lost just once,  although he hasn't played for a while so I think it is time we challenge him and get him off the Top Spot :)

        Felix has the most monotonous record of everyone: he has played 4 games, and got 3 points (i.e. came 2nd) every single time. That is no mean feat!

        After thinking about it, I have kept the scoring formula the same as for Roborally: Points, divided by number of games played plus 1.  That way, it remains relatively volatile - and the suggestion Bob had for improving it did nothing to get him away from the top... :)

        Comments, suggestions welcome.  If you don't have any, let's just play!