New member - Elias Kupfermann

  • Oliver Merrington
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 5, 2004
      A warm welcome to Elias Kupfermann who lives in Slough.

      He writes:
      "I work for Slough Museum. I am interested in the lidos in Slough and
      Maidenhead, Berkshire. I am also giving advice on the possible restoration
      of the Baylis House Lido* in Slough."

      We now have 28 members.
      A very happy New Year to all.

      Oliver

      Oliver Merrington
      www.lidos.org.uk

      *details, Ian??
    • Elias Kupfermann
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 7, 2004
        ON my travels and killing time this afternoon I was in Ruislip and had some
        time to kill and decided on a little tour of Ruislip - I came across a sign
        post to Ruislip Lido (which I couldnt see on the Lido database - or have I
        missed it) It looked rather interesting with a large 1930's building with
        two circular towers at either end - the building had been converted into a
        pub and thus I supposed was saved and has delightful chevron paines of glass
        in all the windows - I suppose quite a unique survival.

        Can anyone furnish further details on this rather interesting structure and
        lido.

        Best wishes

        Elias Kupfermann
      • Oliver Merrington
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 8, 2004
          There is rather a brief entry at
          http://homepage.ntlworld.com/oliver.merrington/lidos/lidos1.htm#_Toc2087928
          but I intend to move and expand it on the webpage on Closed Lidos in London.

          The building you mention may be "the modern main building was built in the
          art-deco style 1936 by George W Smith. A swimming area was constructed in
          the reservoir in front of this, which was done by laying a concrete base in
          (under) the water flanked on either side by piers is a "horseshoe" shape.
          The main building itself contained, principally, a cafeteria, the buildings
          either side of it housed on one side the turnstile and ticket area and on
          the other side changing rooms. In May 1936 the Lido was formally opened by
          the Earl of Howe".

          See also the website
          www.ruislip.co.uk/lido/
          mainly about the railway!

          See also previous Messages to this group
          http://uk.groups.yahoo.com/group/lidos/message/207

          Nice period photograph attached. Name the actress!

          Oliver
        • Elias Kupfermann
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 20, 2004
            During my cataloguing of the Slough Museum collection I have come across
            photographs of two public open air swimming pools (I am not sure if they are
            classed as lidos). The first is the Baylis House open air swimming pool
            (picture enclosed) and the second the Montem Swimming pool (now gone) -
            both seem to be 1930's in origin.

            Slough Borough Council are looking into restoring and making the Baylis
            House swimming pool to its former glory

            I would be grateful if you have any information on them or alternatively
            might be worthwhile adding to your database/website.

            Cheers

            Elias Kupfermann
          • ach39310
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 20, 2004
              The swimming pool at Baylis House Hotel was opened on 27 May 1933 in
              time for one of the best summers of the 20th century. It
              was "bottle" shaped with a total length of 160 feet and a width of 60
              feet in the deep end & 30 feet in the shallow end. The maximum depth
              was 8 feet. The pool is extensively advertised in local newspapers
              during the 30's.

              Cheers, Andy