Tightness on delivery

  • tmcsean
    Message 1 of 3 , May 7, 2007
      I've just taken delivery of my Masterchassis and am verypleased with
      my investment. The one snag I've found is that the a couple of the
      false axles are more or less an interference fit in the axle holes. I
      rang Phil and Jo and was advised to just ease the offending items with
      a bit of wet-and-dry, which was my Plan A anyway. Has anyone with
      practical experience any warnings or comments or is it just a matter
      of steady as you go?

      Many thanks

      Tony McSean
    • Jim Summers
      Message 2 of 3 , May 7, 2007
        Tony,

        Steady as I went, I think.

        Jim

        Message 3 of 3 , May 7, 2007
          Hi Tony,

          I too have recently received mine and have nothing but praise for it. Yes,
          the Mock Axles are tight, but I'd rather that than loose. A little easing
          with fine grade wet/dry would be OK, but check first that the Allen bolts
          used to secure the axles are loose and that a little light oil has been
          applied.

          Incidentally, I have found that a spray with Remington shaver blade
          cleaner/lubricant is good. Use this after each soldering session. If you do
          get a build-up of gunge on the axles, spin them in a chuck (I use my trusty
          Black & Decker drill in a horizontal stand) and apply a track cleaning pad,
          such as Garriflex.

          I have already built a chassis on my Masterchassis and used it for test
          running. What a boon! I will build a cradle for it, slightly based on that
          in the group's Files section, but without the copper-clad PCB for current
          pick-up. I prefer 'wander-leads', as thereby one may easily check for the
          proper working of individual pickups. I wish I could have that facility on
          then other side too. I will also have extensions either side with track
          sections to carry bogie, pony and tender wheelsets. I will have to provide
          dual-gauge track, as I have rolling roads for both 0-fine and 36.75mm
          (5'3").

          Another small but important point. Ensure that the setscrews holding the
          roller bearings are tight - and stay tight. Mine were loose on arrival
          (why?); a drop of Threadlock will keep them tight.

          Regards

          Dennis Mowatt