Next MAG meeting

  • oakleyian
    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 14, 2008
      Hi everyone

      I see that 8th October is scheduled for the next meeting and I
      suggest it is held once again in earlson as alternative venues have
      not been forthcoming.
      At tha last meeting I hoped to demo Amiga Forever 2008 however it
      seemed to suffer from unbelievable slowdown. Cloanto have released a
      software update so happily I can put this back on the Agenda for next
      meeting.
      OS 4.1 has just been announced and hopefully will be available to buy
      prior to the meeting so Amiga One owners be on standby for a demo at
      the meeting if you are going to upgrade.Amiga North Thames stole some
      thunder by having a pre release copy on display at their recent
      meeting so if we have a copy available it might draw some interest to
      MAG.
      I have a few other things in the pipeline but they can be phased for
      future meetings.
      Although the attendance for the last MAG was good (4 diehards and 3
      others), Luke received a number of tentative enquiries which would
      have swelled the attendance. However we do need tocever the room
      hire - at £30 it is cheap but on my maths 7 people paying £2.50 each
      does not cover costs.
      User Groups are important and keep the interest in the Amiga alive
      and with the suggested items above gives eveyone an opportunity to
      try before you buy (hoefully !!)

      Ian
    • luke_stowe
      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 14, 2008
        hi Ian,
        thanks for stirring up the group a little. It was a very tentative
        date to be honest. I think I was being a little optimistic when I put
        that date on the website. The attendance was a little poor in my
        opinion to warrant more hard work.

        I would love to arrange another meeting and am wracking my brains with
        ways in which to secure the attendance needed to cover the room.

        I'd love Matt from Amigakit to come along? I am also wondering if we
        could arrange a 'speaker' or a demo of some sort? I think that having
        the activities such as these will command the respect the club deserves.

        Any other suggestions from the group wouldn't go a miss.

        Cheers
        Luke

        --- In midlandsamigagroup@..., "oakleyian" <ioakley@...>
        wrote:

        > Hi everyone
        >
        > I see that 8th October is scheduled for the next meeting and I
        > suggest it is held once again in earlson as alternative venues have
        > not been forthcoming.
        > At tha last meeting I hoped to demo Amiga Forever 2008 however it
        > seemed to suffer from unbelievable slowdown. Cloanto have released a
        > software update so happily I can put this back on the Agenda for next
        > meeting.
        > OS 4.1 has just been announced and hopefully will be available to buy
        > prior to the meeting so Amiga One owners be on standby for a demo at
        > the meeting if you are going to upgrade.Amiga North Thames stole some
        > thunder by having a pre release copy on display at their recent
        > meeting so if we have a copy available it might draw some interest to
        > MAG.
        > I have a few other things in the pipeline but they can be phased for
        > future meetings.
        > Although the attendance for the last MAG was good (4 diehards and 3
        > others), Luke received a number of tentative enquiries which would
        > have swelled the attendance. However we do need tocever the room
        > hire - at £30 it is cheap but on my maths 7 people paying £2.50 each
        > does not cover costs.
        > User Groups are important and keep the interest in the Amiga alive
        > and with the suggested items above gives eveyone an opportunity to
        > try before you buy (hoefully !!)
        >
        > Ian

      • Ian Oakley
        Message 3 of 15 , Jul 16, 2008

          Hi Luke

          I have spoken to Matthew at AmigaKit and he would be keen to come to a meeting but I think it would have to be on a wider scale than just MAG. We know that the venue at Earlsdon can accommodate a larger group but we have to generate interest. As usual it can be a lot of saying but not doing !!

          I think that Coventry is ideal as it’s central. What would be good is a meeting of all user groups  and other interested parties. If something takes off AmigaKit are perfectly happy to publicize by putting  a flyer with every order. Also if Amiga Kit are there you might get  a bit of discount and you’d certainly save on carriage. I think the launch of OS 4.1 would be the perfect catalyst for such a meeting. Plus I believe a new scan doubler for the A1200 is imminent, at is a new catweasel IV. Recent hard ware such as the Mediator TX and the Deneb could also be shown. MOS is also picking up interest so there is a lot going on Amiga wise believe it or not.

          So if there is interest in the Amiga, this is the time to show your support. Would it be worth putting the feelers out on the various Amiga forums to gauge the interest. Matthew informs me that the English Amiga Board have talked about such an event but nothing has come to fruition.

          I would be quite happy to donate the CWCCC funds (about £120) as a subsidy.

          What does everyone think about this idea.

          wrote:

          > Hi everyone
          >
          > I see that 8th October is scheduled for the next meeting and I
          > suggest it is held once again in earlson as alternative venues have
          > not been forthcoming.
          > At tha last meeting I hoped to demo Amiga Forever 2008 however it
          > seemed to suffer from unbelievable slowdown. Cloanto have released a
          > software update so happily I can put this back on the Agenda for next
          > meeting.
          > OS 4.1 has just been announced and hopefully will be available to buy
          > prior to the meeting so Amiga One owners be on standby for a demo at
          > the meeting if you are going to upgrade.Amiga North Thames stole some
          > thunder by having a pre release copy on display at their recent
          > meeting so if we have a copy available it might draw some interest to
          > MAG.
          > I have a few other things in the pipeline but they can be phased for
          > future meetings.
          > Although the attendance for the last MAG was good (4 diehards and 3
          > others), Luke received a number of tentative enquiries which would
          > have swelled the attendance. However we do need tocever the room
          > hire - at £30 it is cheap but on my maths 7 people paying £2.50 each
          > does not cover costs.
          > User Groups are important and keep the interest in the Amiga alive
          > and with the suggested items above gives eveyone an opportunity to
          > try before you buy (hoefully !!)
          >
          > Ian

        • Will Light
          Message 4 of 15 , Jul 16, 2008

            I think that this would probably be a good use for the remaining CWCCC funds – but you can’t just donate it Ian – we will have to do it properly according to the CWCCC constitution – which I have some copies of – I think we will have to hold a winding-up meeting for CWCCC – either that or somehow merge CWCCC with Midlands Amiga Group –

            I have a file of CWCCC stuff which I recently put on one side for Luke to have – it makes quite interesting reading – going right back to the early 1980s…

            Will Light

            Coventry UK

            Message 5 of 15 , Jul 18, 2008

              Hi Will

              Thanks for the advice. Any use of funds would be down to the known members which is yourself, Luke and Me !!

              I agree that we need to do something about CWCCC – I suspect merging or renaming might be a bit messy but I’m sure it is covered in the constitution. The trouble with constitutional issues is that we are probably not members any more because we have not paid our subscriptions !!

              I still have the CWCCC Building Society book – the only issue I think in closing that account is that two signatories are required however Tony who was the Treasurer I’ve not seen or heard of for over 10 years.

              Ian