  • Paul
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 22, 2009
      I will be inviting all current members of the 1813 PHEM Halle Campaign to join the forum and to use it to raise any questions they may have about the current campaign.

      I will also ask them to post a short description of themselves here so that we will all know a little more about each other. So me first.

      My wife Jan and have been wargaming since we got married in 1968. For the first 10 years we travelled around the world a lot, and mostly wargamed together.

      In 1980 we returned to UK and joined the Devizes Wargames Group, which was our first experience of wargames clubs. With them we visited Peter Guilder's Wargames Centre, and were inspired to start our own group in our large detached garage.

      The Salisbury Old Guard Wargames Group met every week for twenty years. It was a great experience, but meant that I personally did very little wargaming. I would usually umpire our games so I rarely got a chance to play. Jan did not really like the large games, and did not take part a lot.

      In 2006 we retired to Spain. We are fortunate to have a permanent wargames room where we now play most days. For the past three years I have been running a solo wargames campaign which is designed to create good wargames for us to fight. It is based on the 1813 campaign in Germany and Spain, but is not a historical refight of that campaign.

      Earlier this year I started a blog about the campaign, which met with quite a lot of interest. However blogging is a lonely business, and there is not much feedback.

      A few months ago I started Campaigns of Napoleon Forum with the intention of providing a forum where anyone interested in Napoleonic campaigns could exchange views. As a result I became involved in my first Play By E Mail campaign. This in turn prompted me to see whether my solo 1813 campaign could be expanded to a PBEM campaign, and my first attempt 1813 Magdeburg resulted.

      The current 1813 Halle is an attempt to incorporate the lessons learned in the Magdeburg campaign and produce a more challenging and interesting campaign for both myself and the players.

      I have started this forum so that anyone taking part in the campaign, or indeed anyone interested in following the campaign, can raise any points of interest which all members can learn from and comment on.

      I will now contact all the current members of the campaign and look forward to reading their first posts.

      Paul
    • Paul
      Message 2 of 10 , 26 May 06:23
        We have had six new members join the forum this week, and I would like to welcome them one and all.

        I don't usually welcome new members, and I feel that is probably a mistake. I do write to each new member when I approve their application, but that is often the last contact I have with them.

        This forum was started as a sort of notice board for the PBEM campaign, but the membership has now grown to 60, but only 7 taking part in the campaign.

        I know that a lot of folk would prefer to "lurk quietly", and I have no problem with that. But it would be nice to hear from the 53 who are not taking part in the campaign.

        If any of the "silent majority" has anything to add, anything they would like explained or would just like to post a "potted history" all posts would be welcome.

        If not, thanks for joining the group and I hope you enjoy your stay

        regards

        Paul
      • Paul
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 22, 2011
          I would like to welcome Todd Kauderer to the forum.

          Todd is a mature wargamer who has had 10 years experience of PBEM, and he has asked to be put on the reserve list for a campaign post.

          I am sure that he will have a lot to contribute to the development of the campaign, and look forward to reading his comments on the forum

          Paul
        • Paul
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 22, 2011
            I would like to welcome Bernard to the forum. He is a French wargamer and I have suggested that he might post a short introduction here.

            regards

            Paul
          • thistlebarrow
            Message 5 of 10 , 9 Apr
              I would like to welcome the five new members who joined this week.

              I would also like to encourage all members to post on the forum if you have any comments or suggestions.   It is nice to get some feedback now and again.

              The forum has been pretty quiet since the end of the PBEM campaign last year.   But even during the five years the campaign was running there was never much posted on the forum, even when I asked for feedback.   It has always struck me as strange that people take the trouble to join the forum, but then never post.

              Despite this I have decided to post on the forum myself more often, in the hope that it will encourage members to do the same.   In the past I have only done so when a new phase of the campaign was starting, or a major change to the rules.   This is because I have always relied on the Campaign Diary Blog to give a daily update on the campaign.

              However in future I will post once or twice a week with an update or commentary on the progress of the campaign.   Hopefully this will encourage more comments or suggestions from members.

              regards

              Paul

            • Simon Gilbert
              Message 6 of 10 , 9 Apr

                Hi,

                                I’m still here, I guess the thinking is partly, “who does this forum belong to and what is it for?

                I was involved in a brilliant game of the “Battle of Bautzen, French Right Wing” on Thursday evening. It was fun, but my war-gaming partner and I got trounced vs a veteran war gamer, again. We used 1815-style units for the game, so the Russians and Prussians were rather intimidating, and had their artillery and cavalry with them, unlike the historical scenario, I stripped the French force of the support of two Cavalry Corps in 1815 style, (that would have pretended to be an 1813 Cavalry Corps).

                My pal deployed his French in columns to approach the enemy and deploy, so I did the same out of respect for him with my French force. Our opponent, in charge of the Russians and Prussians, deployed already, chose to march off the hill, cross the stream and attack us! He was very successful. Some of my pal’s units never got out of them columns, into line of battle, and were driven backwards. I had massed my cannon and managed to destroy a Russian Jager infantry brigade, but my French brigades were too small vs the Russian brigades advancing on me, and my force, although deployed hadn’t gotten itself out of a muddle, so as Prussians drove into my pal’s force, I was driven backwards as well.

                The score was ridiculous considering Russian and Prussian success. 7-6 victory points for a game of Age of Eagles.

                Anyway it was fun, all three of us went away with things to learn. Sadly this veteran gamer won’t be back playing with us for a while, and there I was trying to justify running our own campaign, well once my war gaming partner and I have started winning some of these war games against these grognard-folks. The chap we were playing had a good 20 years + extra experience of war gaming. My shooting dice were appalling, two turns went with no hits from any dice I rolled! Whilst my war game partner had a turn where nothing moved or changed formation! Hopefully he won’t try deploying for a major battle, in a narrow block, road column again! I had an excuse. There were six Russian artillery batteries dead ahead of my Corps, for me to attack frontally, was straight into the teeth of them superb Russian gunnery, but if I got things right, I could have blunted the all-out attack in my sector as Russian infantry divisions advanced either side of the beaten-zone of the Russian artillery batteries.

                PS: I had not foreseen the all-out attack, so chose not to deploy a cavalry corps on my flank, giving the set up time as not worth it for something that wasn’t going to go across a boggy stream and up a rough ground slope. Boy was I wrong about that! At the end of the game, our opponent’s Russian cavalry were just lining up to charge mine, as mine blundered into a covering position, his having stumbled across the stream and moved towards me, part of his time-consuming, all-out attack.

                A bientot

                Message 7 of 10 , 9 Apr
                  Would it help if posters stated their location on this site?

                  I am in Bristol, England, and always happy to meet new opponents, I have 6mm, 15mm, and 25mm armies and a 8 by 4 table.

                  I did try to find Paul's Spanish retreat, but it seemed it was only accessible by goat, not by public transport!

                  Despite 40 years of war gaming I can throw 1's as often as anybody else.

                  Simon's experience raises a question about re-fighting battles, should generals such as the Russian/Prussian at Bautzen have been restricted to the strategic defensive?

                  Dick

                  Sent from my iPad

                  Message 8 of 10 , 9 Apr

                    Hi Simon

                    I am not sure what you mean by “who does this forum belong to and what is it for”.

                    I don’t think this, or any,  forum belongs to anyone, or if it does then it belongs to its all of its members.   The whole purpose of a forum is surely to provide a place to exchange thoughts and comments?

                    I started the forum to provide a place where anyone interested could raise questions or post comments about my 1813 Napoleonic Campaign.

                    However I have always tried to encourage any comments by responding to any post.   For example I replied to your post of 5 March about your own campaign, but you did not answer the questions I asked.

                    Regards

                    Paul

                  • thistlebarrow
                    Message 9 of 10 , 9 Apr

                      Hi Dick

                      I would have thought that in a city the size of Bristol there must be a lot of wargamers?   Are there any clubs you could join?

                      It is interesting that we both have 6mm, 15mm and 25mm figures, and indeed a similar size wargames table.  I find that I still prefer the larger figures.

                      I have always kept to fictional wargames.  Even when gaming battles such as Waterloo or Lepizig.   This is partly because of the difficulty of recreating orders of battle and terrain all for a one off battle.   But equally because I never really believed that you can refight actual battles using dice and artificial wargame rules.

                      The advantage of fictional games, even when based on an historical battle, is that you have complete freedom of choice.

                      Regards

                      Paul

                    • Dick Manns
                      Message 10 of 10 , 16 Apr

                        I regularly get games, but not always the ones I want!

                        My colleagues like WW2, so I have to indulge them.

                        My e-mail was more to suggest that if writers included their address area, some who think that they are isolated may discover opponents just down the road.