Loving of Gaia

  • Mynie Geldenhuys
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 2, 2010
      Hello folks,
      Dan, my partner and best friend wrote this today and it spoke so loudly that I could not deny my own responsibilities any longer.

      (quoted) There are many responses being made to the Gulf oil disaster. The finger pointing has started and will continue for years. Even numerous Pagan web sites are calling for magickal or energetic intervention. They want us to do spells to protect the earth, to protect species from dying in the oil and dispersant soaked waters; they want us to work and do spells for people to seek alternate energy sources.

      All of this misses the essential point.

      Karma cannot be fooled. Karma applies to the universe at large, not just to humans. Either it is a universal law, or it is no law at all. For it to be limited to just humans is absurd. The Gulf oil spill is a karmic event and the results are karmic events. Blaming is meaningless, it has happened. Doing magickal work to protect the earth is largely meaningless as the oil is there, and more is coming, and engineers have little hope of stopping it. Magick works on the possible, not the impossible. Human emotional responses range from strident anger calling for boycotts and lawsuits or criminal prosecutions to burying head in hands, getting drunk and deciding that we're all screwed, anyway, so, why care? Doing spells to protect and heal the earth are, for the most part, useless as the damage is done. Species go extinct as a natural thing every few days. More will go extinct due to this oil disaster. That is very sad, but a pragmatic view knows that other species will take their place in time and all the depredations humans do to the earth will be repaired after we cease to exist as a species. So, what can or should we do? We don't live where we can help clean oil residue off sea birds or help skim oil from a Louisiana swamp. However, we can send energy. What then, should our energy be sent for? Here are some suggestions.

      Energy for wisdom on the part of the petroleum engineers and geologists to find a solution to this gush of crude oil.
      Energy to those planning future oil drilling to have the wisdom to not exceed their understanding and find safe solutions to prevent spills before they happen.
      Energy to the multitudes of people being directly injured by the oil to be creative in finding a way to make a new living and support their families. (end quote)

      We grieve for all the creatures who are dying because of human failure, yet no civilization can function without fuel. We remember the humans who are blameless, yet are suffering. Most of all we cannot sit idly by and do nothing while Gaia weeps.
      Dan and I send out a heartfelt call to all Pagans who love Gaia, to raise energy each day for the next 11 days, in whatever manner suitable, and send it towards the Gulf of Mexico.

      We will achieve the following:=
      1. Bring relief of the terrible human suffering caused by this oil spill and any harmed by boycotts. (Relief)
      2. Bring new inspiration for the scientific community and Rough Necks to find new and safer ways to drill for oil and contain it safely. (Inspiration)
      3. Bring protection to the sea life that is left unaffected at home and elsewhere, and better ways of saving them from future extinction. (Wisdom)

      May the Mother hear and know we care
      BB
      Mynie and Dan
    • Mynie Geldenhuys
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 18, 2010
        Hello folks,

        Firstly, a heartfelt thanks from myself and Dan for all your hard work
        and effort - it is deeply appreciated.

        In the past 11days, thousands of Pagans form many Paths, all across the
        globe have joined us in sending energy to the Gulf of Mexico for the
        alleviation of damage do by the oil spill.
        As a result of the many efforts with a single Intent - stop the spill -
        there has been a new cap placed on teh oil well which caused the spill,
        a relief well is nearly complete and there is hope that this is it - the
        end of the pollution. We will report on the on going success of the new
        cap as news comes in. Again thank you very much.

        As we have done this, thousands of Pagans the globe over have worked
        tirelessly for the relief of damage and trauma to Mother Earth and Her
        ocean creatures.
        Sadly, little or no relief has come from these efforts. The damage is
        far too great, the death of the many ocean creatures will continue and
        giant tar balls have begun to wash up on every shore along the Gulf.
        Against all our hopes, we must begin to accept - 'Tis Fate....all we can
        do is work to contain any further spills.

        Again, our deepest appreciation for all your efforts.
        May the gods Bless and keep you all
        Mynie and Dan