Ordnance Survey Greenspace mapping

  • Oliver, Richard
    Message 1 of 6 , 15 Jul

      A few days ago OS launched mapping of open spaces: it can be tried at

      www.osmaps.uk/greenspace.

      The object appears to be to map publicly accessible open space for sport and other physical recreation, but the areas that I have investigated so far produce curious results: golf courses appear, but 'access land', including Woodland Trust and National Trust areas, do not!

      Have I just selected quirky areas (OK, I'm a quirky person), or is this dataset fundamentally flawed?

      Richard Oliver

    • Gerry Nichols (btinternet)
      Message 2 of 6 , 15 Jul
        Having checked areas in North West Bristol there are many anomalies: public parks not marked; access areas not marked; no differentiation between private golf courses with rights of way and public golf courses on park land. One does wonder what data they derived the map from?

        Gerry Nichols

        Message 3 of 6 , 15 Jul

          It's the same here on the east coast of Wales.

          Penarth Head Park, on the Wales Coastal Path and with the best views in the area, (ST 191718) is omitted as are the reclaimed parkland at Penarth Marina (ST 180725) and Penarth Moors (ST 174736).

          We also pay a precept on our Council Tax to Penarth Town Council. This helps to support The Kymin, shown as 'Coun Offs' at ST 189715, yet its wooded parkland, complete with pétanque court, is shown in the very pale green for woodland, rather than the shade for 'public park or garden'.

          Like Richard I looked at the mapping when it was announced, thinking that it would be a very useful resource, but now feel that it needs great improvement.

          Chris H.

        • ALAN BOWRING
          Message 4 of 6 , 15 Jul
            I was alerted to the new data-layer by a colleague at work. Had a look just now and it's okay as far as it goes in the Abergavenny area, though some entry points to land are a little dubious. As an aside, what struck me more was crazy contouring on the base mapping when centred on https://osmaps.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/51.79786,-3.12395,14 - Gilwern Hill, a notable local prominence has been wiped off the map - compare this with standard 25K mapping! The distortion in the fabric of space continues north to Crickhowell. There's another instance east of The Skirrid covering many square kilometres of countryside. Are there other instances of this known to folks? It rather makes me doubt the veracity of anything shown in these maps.
            cheers
            Alan B
            Abergavenny

            Message 5 of 6 , 16 Jul

              On 15 Jul 2017, at 18:46, 'Oliver, Richard' R.R.Oliver@... [ordnancemaps] <ordnancemaps@...> wrote:

              A few days ago OS launched mapping of open spaces: it can be tried at

              www.osmaps.uk/greenspace.

              The object appears to be to map publicly accessible open space for sport and other physical recreation, but the areas that I have investigated so far produce curious results: golf courses appear, but 'access land', including Woodland Trust and National Trust areas, do not!

              Have I just selected quirky areas (OK, I'm a quirky person), or is this dataset fundamentally flawed?

              It's fundamentally flawed.  The open space data are derived from what the surveyor records: if the surveyor recorded a golf course, it will be treated as open space, regardless of whether it is on common land with statutory rights of access, or it's a private golf course open only to members.  If the surveyor sees play equipment on a common, and records it (or at least, that part) as a public park, it will be treated as open space, but otherwise, it won't be.  Allotments are in, even though most are closed to the public.  Leisure centres and swimming baths appear to be in, even though they are not open space at all.

              The Open Spaces Society (for which I work) published a critical press release on the launch day.

              Hugh

            • Bev MARKS
              Message 6 of 6 , 16 Jul
                Re: The object appears to be to map publicly accessible open space for sport and other physical recreation, but the areas that I have investigated so far produce curious results: golf courses appear, but 'access land', including Woodland Trust and National Trust areas, do not!

                Took a look locally within about 3km of here and found:
                An allotment shown as woodland
                An allotment not shown
                Former private golf course closed for 2 or more years
                School playing field not shown
                - conclusion: flawed data-set...

                Best
                --