King John's Palace in Sherwood Forest- latest results, and Field school 2017

  • Jeff
    Message 1 of 2 , 17 Jul
      Hi,.

      Here is some information on Mercian's archaeological field school this summer which might be of interest.

      If anyone wishes to come and be part of the research at Clipstone and King John's Palace there are still places available on the Sherwood Forest Archaeological Training Fieldschool:

      Dates:
      Week C: July 31st - August 4th
      Week D: August 7th - 11th

      More info from:

      http://www.mercian-as.co.uk/fieldschool.html

      We would love you to come and be part of researching this fantastic site in the heart of Robin Hood's Sherwood Forest, and learn many through hands on training how to undertake archaeology properly under expert tuition...

      We hope to see you there,

      Best wishes.

    • MICHAEL FREEMAN
      Message 2 of 2 , 17 Jul
        I have just transcribed part of the 'Catalogue of the mathematical and philosophical instruments of the late Sir George Shuckburgh Evelyn,
        Bart'. [1751-1804]
        He was active in testing surveying equipment and measuring the heights of mountains in Britain and elsewhere.
        Over 100 items are listed, some unnumbered,
        some of which are identified as ‘not in the collection’ and some numbered items
        are marked in what appears to be the same hand as ‘missing’. The names of the makers
        of some of the items are noted. The list is not dated but presumably it was
        compiled soon after his death in 1804.
        Nos. 61 and 67 are particularly interesting. I don't know where these are now; some might be in the Science Museum.
        If anyone is interested, I could supply more details, but possibly this list is already well known.
        The list includes:
        1 Telescope [more details in the list]
        2 Microscope
        3 4 inch dipping needle, rolling
        on planes, by Ramsden
        8 50 ft steel measuring chain
        10 Hydrometer
        Compasses and protractors
        21 Hadley’s quadrant, 18 inch
        radius by Martin
        22 Hadley’s quadrant, 12 inch
        radius by Martin
        23 Hadley’s quadrant, 2 ½ inch
        radius with nonius to minutes by Ramsden
        25 Artificial Horizon by Ramsden.
        This is a curious instrument.
        Compasses
        Measuring tape
        Barometers
        Thermometers
        49 Waywiser with 6 inch wheels
        Speaking trumpet
        Globes
        61 Universal Equatorial with 7
        inch circles and complete apparatus by Ramsden. N.B. This is a most valuable
        instrument, being adapted to answer the several purposes of an equatorial,
        altitude and Azimuth instrument, and Theodolite for surveying.
        63 Clock
        Orrery
        67 Two portable barometers by
        Ramsden, these were the instruments used by Sir George in measuring the height
        of mountains, from which he determined a valuable theorem of great use in the
        reduction of observations of this nature. The Barometers are numbered 1 and 2.
        Sideral regulator by Arnold goes
        4½ months. N.B. This regulator supposed to be packed up with large equatorial;
        but equatorial no. 61 is incomplete without it as well as the transit
        instrument no. 69.
        De Luc’s hygrometer
        84 A waywiser for a carriage
        National Library of Wales, Pitchford Hall (Ottley) Papers, I/18-19
        I/20
        is a similar list in a different hand and with different numbers, with annotation in
        pencil giving the numbers of the items in the original list.

        Normal
        0

        false
        false