Re: [praat-users] kill octave jumps

  • Paul Boersma
    Message 1 of 3 , 21 Nov 09:36
      At 15:48 +0000 21-11-05, agustin_gravano wrote:
      > After that, I run "Kill octave jumps" on the Pitch object, and the
      > results are *very* wrong.

      the results are very correct. Praat kills all the big pitch jumps, keeping them all within half an octave, for instance a downward jump of 9 semitones is replaced with an upward jump of 3 semitones. The resulting pitch curve often lies several octaves below or above the original (or real) pitch contour, but that is what you have been asking for. (real speech often contains big jumps, so if you remove them from the pitch contour, the pitch contour will not be realistic any longer)
      --

      Paul Boersma
      Institute of Phonetic Sciences, University of Amsterdam
      Message 2 of 3 , 22 Nov 00:33
        Hi there.

        >I have the following problem, and any help will be greatly appreciated.
        >
        >I read a sound file, and run "To Pitch..."
        >After that, I run "Kill octave jumps" on the Pitch object, and the
        >results are *very* wrong.

        See Paul Boersma's answer.

        >Everything seems to work okay at the beginning of the file, and then
        >at one point the pitch goes 'crazy', jumping to 1000Hz, and then going
        >down to below 100Hz, even though the speaker hardly ever goes below 150Hz.

        I wonder if you cannot just restrain the tracker when you run to pitch by
        setting for example floor 150 Hz and ceiling 500 Hz as a start.

        Good Luck

        Jonas Lindh
        PhD Candidate (Forensic Phonetics)
        Teacher of Phonetics