Re: [praat-users] Digest Number 2405 Tab Key in Linux

  • Paul Boersma
    Message 1 of 6 , 22 Apr 03:12
      Op 19 apr 2012, om 21:28 heeft Stephen Taylor het volgende geschreven:

      > > like other users, I was frustrated by the absence of the Tab key function in linux.
      >
      > > I decided to use the control-T key for this purpose.

      OK, this will be Command-H from version 5.3.14 on. While Command-T is used in some editor windows to add e.g. a pitch target, Command-H is never used in Praat, because it has a special system-wide meaning on MacOS X. Therefore, Command-H is free fur special purposes on Linux, such as playing the selected part of a sound.

      I'm wondering, though, whether people who regret the absence of the Tab key for playing sound on Linux realize that one can also just click on the rectangles above or below the selection, which feels much easier to me (especially because usually the action of dragging the mouse to select a part of the sound precedes wanting to play it). Is the mouse click perhaps difficult to find, or are there indeed user interaction sequences where the Tab key is easier than a mouse click?
      _____

      Paul Boersma
      University of Amsterdam
      Linguistics
      Spuistraat 210, room 303
      1012VT Amsterdam, The Netherlands
      http://www.fon.hum.uva.nl/paul/
    • José Joaquín Atria
      Message 2 of 6 , 22 Apr 10:04
        In my case, I know I can play it by clicking the boxes below, but find it
        inconvenient sometimes because, if I'm making a number of selections,
        moving the mouse away from the oscillogram/spectrogram area and down to the
        bottom is a lot slower than simply pressing a key.

        As an aside, do you think we could come up with a different key
        combination? The good thing about using the TAB key, as I see it, is that
        most of the time (and I'm only thinking about right handed people here) the
        left hand is free when you are moving the mouse, so using the TAB key is
        very convenient. But this is not really the case with Ctrl+H, which
        involves a right-handed key (H) and a left-handed key (Ctrl) to work. If
        that's going to be the shortcut in Linux from now on, I can't say I see
        myself getting around to using it that much.

        I think the best option would be to have a good default value that involves
        only left-handed keys and some sort of key-binding menu where each person
        could configure it to suit their own particular needs (which would also
        work for left-handed users).

        José Joaquín Atria

        www.pinguinorodriguez.cl

        On Sun, Apr 22, 2012 at 11:12 AM, Paul Boersma <paul.boersma@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > Op 19 apr 2012, om 21:28 heeft Stephen Taylor het volgende geschreven:
        >

        > > > like other users, I was frustrated by the absence of the Tab key
        > function in linux.
        > >
        > > > I decided to use the control-T key for this purpose.
        >
        > OK, this will be Command-H from version 5.3.14 on. While Command-T is used
        > in some editor windows to add e.g. a pitch target, Command-H is never used
        > in Praat, because it has a special system-wide meaning on MacOS X.
        > Therefore, Command-H is free fur special purposes on Linux, such as playing
        > the selected part of a sound.
        >
        > I'm wondering, though, whether people who regret the absence of the Tab
        > key for playing sound on Linux realize that one can also just click on the
        > rectangles above or below the selection, which feels much easier to me
        > (especially because usually the action of dragging the mouse to select a
        > part of the sound precedes wanting to play it). Is the mouse click perhaps
        > difficult to find, or are there indeed user interaction sequences where the
        > Tab key is easier than a mouse click?
        > _____
        >
        > Paul Boersma
        > University of Amsterdam
        > Linguistics
        > Spuistraat 210, room 303
        > 1012VT Amsterdam, The Netherlands
        > http://www.fon.hum.uva.nl/paul/

      • dan_mccloy
        Message 3 of 6 , 22 Apr 15:59
          > ...are there indeed user interaction sequences where the Tab key is easier than a mouse click?

          Absolutely. For example, I often navigate through textgrid-annotated sound files using the alt+arrow keys on the textgrid tiers, which automatically selects intervals (no mouse dragging required). Thus having to move a hand off the keyboard to click the (rather small) rectangle below the selection does noticeably slow me down. Thanks for the Ctrl+H shortcut Paul! I'll download the new version right away.
          -- dan
        • Paul Boersma
          Message 4 of 6 , 23 Apr 04:21
            dear Linux users,

            having read the responses, it's clear to me now that a keyboard shortcut for playing the selected part of the sound is crucial to your work, and I agree that Command-H is cumbersome. Fortunately, I think I found the way to override the automatic Tab key behaviour on GTK (it's called a "key snooper function", for the programmers among you), so I will try to implement that in version 5.3.14.

            thanks,
            Paul
            _____

            Message 5 of 6 , 23 Apr 10:41
              Nice! Thank you!

              I'll be looking forward to seeing how this ends up being implemented.

              José Joaquín Atria

              www.pinguinorodriguez.cl