Re: Digest Number 2405 Tab Key in Linux

  • dan_mccloy
    Message 1 of 6 , 22 Apr 15:59
      > ...are there indeed user interaction sequences where the Tab key is easier than a mouse click?

      Absolutely. For example, I often navigate through textgrid-annotated sound files using the alt+arrow keys on the textgrid tiers, which automatically selects intervals (no mouse dragging required). Thus having to move a hand off the keyboard to click the (rather small) rectangle below the selection does noticeably slow me down. Thanks for the Ctrl+H shortcut Paul! I'll download the new version right away.
      -- dan
    • Paul Boersma
      Message 2 of 6 , 23 Apr 04:21
        dear Linux users,

        having read the responses, it's clear to me now that a keyboard shortcut for playing the selected part of the sound is crucial to your work, and I agree that Command-H is cumbersome. Fortunately, I think I found the way to override the automatic Tab key behaviour on GTK (it's called a "key snooper function", for the programmers among you), so I will try to implement that in version 5.3.14.

        thanks,
        Paul
        _____

        Paul Boersma
        University of Amsterdam
        Linguistics
        Spuistraat 210, room 303
        1012VT Amsterdam, The Netherlands
        http://www.fon.hum.uva.nl/paul/
      • José Joaquín Atria
        Message 3 of 6 , 23 Apr 10:41
          Nice! Thank you!

          I'll be looking forward to seeing how this ends up being implemented.

          José Joaquín Atria

          www.pinguinorodriguez.cl