How to automate TextGrid data browsing?

  • tsibale@yahoo.co.jp
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 23, 2017

      Hi,

      Is it possible to automate audio and TextGrid data browsing with a Praat script, so that a script opens & edits these files and jumps to a specific TextGrid selection on a certain tier, and finally zoom to it on the TextGridEditor, for example? I am handling TextGrid data of annotated spoken copora (Corpus of Spontaneous Japanese), and I have noticed that at least several processes on Praat is difficult to realize solely with a script, e. g. selecting a tier on the TextGridEditor window (which is normally done by clicking a tier). I really appreciate any information and advices on Praat automation of this kind. Thank you in advance!

      Sincerely,

      Shoju

    • rolando_ma
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 25, 2017
        Dear Shoju:

        I have written a praat plug-in called indexer, you can download it here: https://gitlab.com/praat_plugins_rma/plugin_indexer. If you want to install it, put it on the preference folder of Praat (http://www.fon.hum.uva.nl/praat/manual/preferences_directory.html )

        Once installed on Praat,  go to Praat > Goodies > indexer. Then, you go to Create index... Here, you provide the folder path where your TextGrids are stored. This command takes like a photo at a current moment of you TextGrids. Once this is done, go to Query by tier name... Then, you select the tier where you want to browse and the string pattern you want to match (you can also use regex). Press in Ok button.
        After that, go to Do>View&Edit files. Here, specify where your audio files are stored (you can also use relative paths with relation to the texgrids location). Then press in Ok and you will be able to browse on those intervals that matched the pattern you told to the Praat plug-in.  From here, you can modify your TextGrids and use the save option.
        I still haven't written the documentation of the plug-in. But, feel free to contact me if you have any question. This is my email: rolando.muar@...

        Bests,
        - Rolando Muñoz

         You can find it in this website:
      • José Joaquín Atria
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 27, 2017
          It's not clear to me at least what exactly are the tasks you'd like to automate.

          The example you give (selecting a tier) makes no sense within a script, because scripts refer to tiers by number, not by what is selected. For example, selecting tier "X" on the GUI to remove it translates to running the command "Remove tier: X".

          Like Rolando, I've made a couple of plugins that try to make some of the common tasks related to TextGrids a bit easier. "vieweach" [1, 2] in particular comes with what I at least would call a browser [3], that allows you to select a number of objects and then "view each" of them in turn. You might also be interested in "tgutils" [4] which does a lot of the heavy lifting underneath "vieweach". But it'd be easier to help with a clearer idea of what you'd like to achieve.

          [1]: http://cpran.net/plugins/vieweach (general information)

          José Joaquín Atria

          www.pinguinorodriguez.cl