1012Re:: Re: [privateer20] Re:: Drop Keel Overhaul

    Apr 1, 2015
      Indeed my dropping line failed once in a heavy sea. This was due to a aluminium clam on the steel line. (It shoot have been copper.)

      Aluminium is normally regarded as the correct ferrule material on galvanised or bright steel wire,  no doubt because the materials are adjacent in the galvanic table.    Nonetheless,  they can and do corrode ...   ...

      Copper is usually regarded as the appropriate ferrule material for stainless steel wire (although Talurit also manufacture stainless ferrules).   Surprisingly,  although the materials are a long way apart in the galvanic table these splices seem in practice to be almost immune to corrosion.

      However stainless steel wire is very susceptible to fatigue failure,  particularly where it bends through tight radii under load,  so it is important to periodically check it very carefully for evidence of broken strands,  and replace if any are found.    Some authorities recommend replacing on a time basis anyway.    Locations to check in particular include the eye splices (and indeed any alternative terminations),  and in the case of the winch strop the part of the length which is wound around the winch axle  -  the latter of course means most of the length of the wire!

      It is also important that wire of the correct construction for flexibility around tight turns is chosen for the winch wire;     I think that is probably 1 x 19 construction,  but I stress that I have not checked that point.    Wire intended for halliards should be suitable,  that intended for shrouds is not.

      Incidentally similar requirements for regular checks apply to the standing rigging,  and it is even more important there.

      On my boat the winch strop is rope rather than wire,  probably changed by a previous owner,  and that works well but it has its own different risk factors,  and its own requirements requirements for inspection and maintenance.