1093Re:: Thank you for the warm welcome

  • holand.ivar
    Jul 23, 2015
      Quite an ambitious trip to take in such a small boat, of course it helps with the permanent keel. I still have quite a bit of the Norwegian waters to explore before I attempt something like this in my Privateer ;-) Thanks for sharing the video.

      When it comes to the windows; this was in fact my first project on the boat. What I did was that I decided on the size and the shape of the windows, and ordered them from a local plastics supplier, which cuts plexi and similar plastics to measurement. I chose a semi cheap tinted plastic, the more money you put in it the more scratch resistant and so on the plastic becomes. At that time my budget for the boat was a bit tight, if I were to redo the windows today I would have gone for a more expensive and scratch resistant plastic. But still after 13 years they are still a lot better than the previous bare fiberglass.

      I reinforced the hatches with 2 layers of fiberglass and epoxy on the inside/backside. Once I got the windows, I traced the outline of the windows on the hatches, and then used a regular wood router to make a 2-3 mm groove (depending on the thickness of the window as well as if you want a flush fit the hatch). I made sure to make the groove a tiny bit larger than the actual window piece. I then took a second pass with the router, this time all the way through the fiberglass on the inside of the previously cut grove, leaving a ledge for the window to sit in. The groove was then filled with adhesive, Tec7, which is both a glue and a sealant. It's important to select a glue that actually sticks to the plastic windows as well as the fiberglass, seal out rain water, and does not cause damage to the plastic. The windows were then placed in the glue and secured in place until the glue fully set.
    • Show all 6 messages in this topic