1182Re: [privateer20] Re:: Underwater Sealant - and Thin Privateer Skegs

  • Aart van der Pol
    Apr 29, 2016

      Is it possible that there has been wood inside? It might have rotten away?

      Op 29 apr. 2016 10:32 schreef "acapella13934@... [privateer20]" <privateer20@...> het volgende:

      >  This is a big concern as mine dries out on shingle. I'll be looking more closely at this.

      The first,  and minimum,  protection needed for drying out on shingle is an adequate keelband.    You may wish to beef up the GRP as well;   if you do that,  be sure to use epoxy,  rather than polyester.    Polyester works fine at the layup stage,  when it is laminated "wet on wet",  but it does not adhere well to other materials,  not even to cured polyester.    Epoxy adheres vastly better,  and it is stronger,  and for that reason it has today become the standard resin for marine GRP work as well as the standard adhesive for marine woodwork.    Unfortunately it is also more expensive than polyester.

      I am also considering infilling the hollow skeg with some form of foam,  injected in liquid form,  and starting to research materials for this.

      For my situation,  where there is a small risk of banging the end of the skeg on the concrete when I winch the boat off her trailer,  I am also intending to have a stainless steel shoe fabricated,  as further protection;   and very probably also bond on a sacrificial bump stop (in either hard rubber or wood),  but that is very specific to my launching situation and would not be relevant to drying out on shingle.