1257Welcome Aboard

    Sep 19, 2016

      A warm welcome to a new member who writes "I'm about to receive a lovely little Privateer 20 called Thumberlina, and intend to restore before getting her back in the water."

      Welcome,  but we don't know your name ...

      Please post to say hello,  and tell us a bit more about your new acquisition.

      I thought at first from the name that the boat was already known to us,  but I find that I am probably mistaken;  certainly she is not on the Boat Register spreadsheet.

      It is an unusual and whimsical name for a boat,  although usually rendered without the "r" in the second syllable;  from one of Hans Christian Andersen's fairy tales.   Thumbelina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

      Even more striking,  I remember that when I was living in North Devon in the seventies,  and one of my sailing bases was Instow,  there was a small open boat often seen on one of the moorings there with a triple alliterative name painted right across the transom,  THUMBELINA'S TENDER THIMBLE.    However I don't suppose that the parent boat is the same one that our new member has now acquired,  although the timing at least is just possible;   the dates would work,  and in either case she would have been a new boat at that time.