1267New owner. Old boat.

  • Tony Glover
    Nov 12, 2016
      As a new member, may I introduce myself.
      My name is Tony Glover and I live in the Midlands. Having sold my 40' Beneteau a couple of years ago, I couldn't resist buying a trailer-sailer so that I can visit places that are out of bounds with a 2 meter keel bolted underneath.

      Having scoured the small ads, I finally found a Privateer 20 in Suffolk for the right price.
      We managed to get the boat home (on the 2nd attempt).
      It was too big to fit on the vehicle trailer and the boat trailers wheel bearings sounding like coffee grinders.
      We returned the following week and, with new bearings fitted, all went well.

      I've now commenced the rebuild starting with the the replacement of the leaking port lights and washboards. Hopefully, with the addition of new coach roof vents, it should make things dry down below.
      Internally, I intend to reinforce sections of the bilges and generally get her ready for sea.

      I'll then start on the interior over the winter (it's great having her on the drive rather than 110 miles away on the South coast!).

      A couple of questions someone might be able to help me with.

      1. I've yet to step the mast. Is there a preferred technique to raising it single handed? Mine is an extraordinarily heavy wooden gaff rigged tree trunk!

      2. I'm going to need an outboard. The well has been sealed off to make a gas locker but my intention is to return it to it's original function. Can anyone advise on the fixing of the outboard inside the well (mine has nothing inside at present). Also, what size will fit and are there any potential pitfalls?

      Any suggestions gratefully appreciated.

    • Show all 32 messages in this topic