1282Re: [privateer20] Pre-purchase checks.

  • Sean Norris
    Nov 23, 2016
      Hi Tony

      The other Tony summed up what to look for. I am an ex Privateer owner.

      If things don't work out with that one I believe the people who bought my boat in 2014 wish to sell it due to lack of use. The boat is in West Cork. You can let me know if interested

      Sean Norris

      On Wed, 23 Nov, 2016 at 21:48, Tony Glover tonytheskipper@... [privateer20]
      <privateer20@...> wrote:

      Hi Tony.
      Welcome to the group.

      Bought my Privateer 20 the weekend before last.

      Came with rigging and v. old trailer, not much interior and no outboard for £670.
      Have bought good 2nd hand trailer for £700.
      Refit will probably be the best part of £1000.

      What to look out for :
      Hull layup is quite thin.
      The Lifting keel can jam so see if it swings ok.

      Check the sails for wear or UV damage.

      Check the  fiberglass  for star crazing, impact damage or osmosis bubbles.

      Spars and rigging need examination. Stays recommend replacing every 10 years. Ali mast and boom should be straight. Timber ones can go soft with rot.

      Check all instruments and electrics are working.

      However,  overall, there's not too much that can go wrong. They were built well and are great fun.

      I think £3,300 is ok if there's not much work to be done. Might be worth offering less as a good engine could be expensive.

      Good luck with the purchase.

      Best regards
      Tony

      On 23 Nov 2016 9:24 p.m., "Tony Baker tony08baker@... [privateer20]" <privateer20@...> wrote:

      Good evening everyone. This is my first post here so I would like to say hello to you all.
      This weekend I plan to look at a Privateer with a view to purchase, to sail on Lough Derg in Ireland and on the Shannon estuary.
      The asking price is £3,300 with no outboard, but with road trailer. Is that the sort of going rate? (I know it depends so much on condition!)
      The other question is whether there are any points to check specific to the Privateer?
      Many thanks and best  regards,  Tony.

    • Show all 7 messages in this topic