1325Re:: Re: : Re: [privateer20] Re:: New owner. Old boat.

    12 Jan 15:40
      > I've decided to lay a bit more fibreglass below the cabin sole to strengthen her a bit.

      I certainly need to do that,  for the second time,  and since I think it is a generic issue with the Privateer I suspect that many boats would benefit from it.

      Also beneath the forward Vee-berths;   when I stripped off my old antifouling during the autumn I found longitudinal stress cracks in the gelcoat there.

      Rather than only beefing up the thickness of the laminate,  which is of course helpful,  my own thinking is that to do that to a significant extent quickly becomes phenomenally expensive (and also labour intensive),  and that a more scientific approach may be beneficial.

      In my first effort I made a point of bonding in the wooden (hardwood?) floorboard bearers,  to turn them into structural floors.    That does seem to have significantly increased the boat's rigidity,  and I trust also her ultimate strength.

      Beyond that,  I intend to laminate up ribs running athwartships and following the curve of the hull,  possibly in spaces between these newly bonded floors and also in the curve of the bilge beneath the forward Vee-berths.    These ribs need not be desperately deep;  even just 1 inch depth would be helpful,  although greater depth would be still better.   Remember to leave limber holes adjacent to the keel,  for bilge water to drain through.    The actual formers can be non-structural;   softwood cut almost all the way through (to facilitate easy bending),  flexible rubber or plastic tubing,  or even thin rolls of old newspaper have been suggested in the past by others elsewhere.   Once you have your former,  then an adequate depth of epoxy GRP laid over it,  and I would suggest a minimum of 6 thicknesses,  and preferably twice that,  but I am very open to other people's suggestions,  will build up enough strength in the GRP laminate.    The former is there only to form the laminate,  as the name implies;   it is the laminate which provides the real strength.

      There is also quite a lot of strength in the internal mouldings,  provided these are securely bonded to the hull.    You may well find that they are not currently well bonded,  and that this is also an issue to address.

      Hope this helps;    I have yet to tackle the next phase of this job on my own boat ...  !!     But at least that is the plan.