1353Re:: Re: [privateer20] Re:: Hollow skeg revisited.

    Mar 1, 2017
      Thank you for that insight.

      There is perhaps a complication,  which has an impact on the bilge pumping arrangements.

      And at this point I realise that this is an aspect of the construction of the boat that I have never fully examined.   I have of course many times seen inside the stern locker (lazarette),  as surely most of us have.   I have also of course many times seen the exterior of the skeg,  as again I am sure most of us have.   And I have on a number of occasions seen the space beneath the cockpit sole from inside the cabin,  as probably many of us have.   Additionally,  I have twice now experienced leaks when water has clearly entered the bottom of the skeg,  when the skeg has been damaged,  and the water has then travelled from there into the cabin area.

      But what I have never done is to thoroughly examine that space beneath the cockpit sole for the purpose of examining the deepest parts of the skeg  -  and I suspect that here again many of us may be in the same situation.     So my knowledge of the construction is based on only those four separate sources,  put together,  but without the missing confirmation.

      But on that basis it appears that the skeg is hollow throughout,  that the void is capped at the extreme after end by the floor of the lazarette,  and forward of that it is capped by the cockpit floor,  but that the space is fully open at the forward end.     At the after end the inside is a very deep recess,  which becomes quite shallow by the forward end of the cockpit.

      Into this recess,  at least on my boat,  fits the hose for the bilge pump,  with its strum box at the forward end.    There is just enough width for the particular strum box on my boat to rest on the bottom of the skeg/keel hollow.

      Whatever may be done,  it is vitally important that bilge pumping arrangements are not compromised.   This consideration includes the need to be able occasionally to remove and clean the strum box,  and perhaps occasionally  -  maybe only once or twice in the lifetime of the boat  -  to remove and replace the hose.    That does not necessarily rule out filling the skeg with concrete,  but it most certainly does mean that one needs to take care to ensure that the concrete does not obstruct inspection and replacement of these vital components.