1422Re:: Re: [privateer20] Re:: My Story (and electrics)

    10 May
      >  I propose following the modern approach, doing away with the rubber gasket and cut a window slightly larger than the opening and glue and screw the window to the glassfibre. I seem to recall that rubber gasket windows were criticised for potentially blowing into boats under the pressure of a wave.

      Very good point indeed.

      Obvious when you think about it;   it must be much stronger,  and it largely removes the need for storm boards to protect the windows in severe conditions.    Storm boards are something that I have long been aware of,  and from time to time I have vaguely thought about making a set,  but have never got round to it,  primarily because with the sort of sailing that I normally do the boat is not exposed to the sort of conditions which would make storm boards relevant.

      Of course one would need a suitable sealant to ensure that the joint between Perspex and cabin side is watertight.

      My previous yacht,  a 1912 25-ft gaff cutter,  had nice circular brass-bound portholes,  three each side,   which appeared to be massively strong.    Or.  more correctly,  two each side were properly constructed,  with a decent thickness of glass properly encased in a brass housing,  with a broad flange to the housing on the outside of the cabin trunk;  and these four were indeed massively strong.     However the third one on each side was the Achilles heel;   externally it looked the same as the others,  but what appeared to be the flange was only a separate brass ring,  there was no housing round the glass,  and the glass was merely pressed into place and retained by mastic!    However despite sailing through occasional full gales those two vulnerable ports were never put to the test.    I did wonder about making storm boards for them,  but again I never got round to doing so.