1427Re:: My Story (and electrics)

    16 May
      >  If you have a gentle slipway and the boat just floats onto the trailer,  the winch does very little work.

      Agreed;    but those are the conditions in which you need to wade deep enough for the boat to just float on.

      If,  as at my home club,  you have up to four knots of tide across the slipway at that depth,   broadside on to the boat and trailer,  you may need to winch on in somewhat less depth (to achieve less tide).   Indeed this can be a matter of personal safety,  we have occasionally had even some of our most experienced members,  myself included,  washed off our feet by the tide while launching or recovering boats.

      In these circumstances,  winching on when there is very deliberately not enough water to just float her on,  the winch may then do a very considerable amount of work.

      It all depends on the totality of your situation;  and it you trailer-sail at a wide variety of locations this adds yet another consideration.