1431Re: [privateer20] Re:: My Story (and electrics)

  • Jonathan Knight
    11 Jul
      Well done Oliver. You are very generous to your launch crew, but I guess in the circumstances they were rushing.
      Just to boast Iast year I invested in a new to me trailer based on two sets of swinging rollers. After a lot of re-adjusting and the addition of a couple of front keel rollers I am able to pull the boat on and off the ground, no water necessary. The trailer also carries the boat a little lower than the original. Being able to move her back and forth also means I can centre her after hauling out, if necessary.
      Enjoy your sail in Milford, sorry not to be able to join you.
      Regards Jonarhan

      On 10 Jul 2017 21:58, "acapella13934@... [privateer20]" <privateer20@...> wrote:

      There is yet another dimension to recovering a boat onto a trailer,  which I had not appreciated until yesterday.

      The background is that the trailer which came with the boat when I bought her had bunks rather than bilge rollers,  and floating her on was the only option.   Since the amount of silt in the Mersey,  my base,  makes it absolutely impossible to see the trailer underwater while recovering the boat I got a friend with a welding set to make me up some docking bars.

      That trailer was long past its sell-by date,  and even when new was not man enough for the total weight of my boat with her added ballast and when also fully laden for cruising,  so about three years ago I replaced it.    The replacement has rollers throughout,  and is designed to winch the boat on and off,  rather than floating her on or off,  so I can do the job in far less depth.

      Yesterday we had a big event at my club,  with a Shipmate Rally as well as our own domestic activities,   and had to recover around seventeen boats,  nearly all of them trailer-sailers and powerboats,  all to be done in a comparatively small window of time after we had returned from sailing and before the tide left the slipway.   We have an immensely challenging slipway  -  nearly horizontal and with a strong tide setting across it,  but we also have some well developed techniques,  and a very well practised and expert shore team,  and we had the use of several launch vehicles,  one of which has a reasonably deep wading capability.

      Boats were coming back and standing off,  awaiting their turn to be called in.   I had very deliberately left my waders ashore,  because I didn't want them in the boat while sailing,   and I radioed the club to say that I proposed to anchor and come ashore by dinghy to collect them,  unless they were absolutely happy to recover me with myself remaining aboard,  without the need for me to wade.    I was asked to remain aboard,  and they would do that.

      When my turn came,  the shore party floated her onto the trailer,  which was not the way that I would have done it had I been in the water and able to supervise,  but these guys are very experienced and everything seemed alright,  so I acquiesced;  although they did have a little difficulty aligning her to the trailer.    However we thought we had got it right,  until the launch vehicle pulled her ashore.    She was very seriously off-centre,  with the keel off the rollers for its full length,  and about a foot too far to port at the stern,  with the boat canted at a hazardous angle.  Additionally one of the pivoting rollers had up-ended itself,  and was in some danger of puncturing the hull.

      There was no option but to put her back in,  with some difficulty now because there was no longer enough depth of water available.

      However we did manage to get her back afloat,  and then winched her back onto the trailer the way the trailer is designed to work,  and this time did it without problems.