433RE: [privateer20] Re: Hello

  • John Clark
    Jul 20, 2011

      Many thanks for you prompt response Oliver

      John

      --- In privateer20@..., John Clark <john768@...> wrote:

      > Thank you for that useful word of warning.
      >
      > That confirms my own intuitive impressions from sailing my one, coupled with the fact that they have only about half the displacement of comparable boats such as the Cornish Shrimper and the Cape Cutter 19; unlike most cruising yachts, Privateers can capsize, and must always be sailed in such a way that they are not allowed to do so.The latter is down to the seamanship of the skipper and/or (if different) the helmsman.
      >
      > Oliver
      >

      > ..... Hi Oliver ...... and your tips for a novice who is about to launch his Privateer are? .....
      > John ..... Privateer Rosie and nb Charlotte Rose

      Desperately pushed for time at the moment, but will try to get back to you when the pressure eases.

      Meanwhile a quick point, dealing only with avoiding capsize.

      Regard her as a "dinghy with a lid" rather than a yacht, and sail her as a big dinghy. So if wind is such that she starts heeling a lot, consider either easing sheets or shortening sail, the latter primarily by reefing.

      It is well worth having all your mainsail reefing lines and your main halliard/s led back to the cockpit, so that you can reef without needing to leave the security of the cockpit; if you have roller reefing for the headsails (or can afford to install it) that is also a boon, particularly if you have the big Yankee jib.

      Read up the information in the designer's instructions (in both the Files and photos section of this site) on use of teh drop keel in particular; it is NOT quite what one would expect - us it primarily as a trim tab, so in normal sailing you should have it very less far down than one would normally expect, but you will still need some. It may pay to mark the rope, so that you have a visual indicator of how much keel you have down.

      Worth, when possible, taking someone experienced afloat with you until you are sure of both your skills and the boat. Worth also, when opportunities arise, doing one of the many courses of instruction, run by sailing clubs, sailing schools, and others. Welcome to a lifetime of learning; I am still learning, most times I go out, even after a total of well over 50 years on the water ...

      Don't believe that you can't learn from books; they aren't enough on their own, but there is a wealth of sailing techniques and seamanship that can be learned from books, and then tried out in practice.

      Apart from that, start gently, keep withi8n your personal limitations, and go out and enjoy!