434Re: Hello

  • seannorris65
    Jul 28, 2011
      I replaced my sails three years ago and when advising the sail maker of my sail habits this is what I told him.

      -Up to 10 knots full sail.
      -10 to 15 Knots if I am felling energetic both Jibs and a deep reefed (double reefed main) of if lazy just the the two jibs.
      -15 to 19 knots the two jibs only
      -@ 20 knots the boat either stays on the mooring or I use the engine (my preference is to stay on the mooring!).

      My experience of the Privateer is that she is not a textbook sailing boat. for instance convention for shortening sail on a cutter rig is to take down the inner jib before reefing the main. I tried this but the boat felt dead and lacked power so instead I settled on the double reefing option to shorten sail and I find the boat nicely balanced when this is done. Also it is vital to always have the main sheet whether using a full or reefed main in your hand to dump it quickly if required. I also found that in the wind range 8-12 knots before I shorten sail that she sails quite well with the mainsheet well eased to the point that the main sail from the luff to almost 50% back to the leech is inverted or has a back bubble. It looks aweful but it works!

      --- In privateer20@..., John Clark <john768@...> wrote:

      > Many thanks for you prompt response Oliver
      > John

      > --- In privateer20@..., John Clark <john768@> wrote:
      >

      > > Thank you for that useful word of warning.
      >

      > > That confirms my own intuitive impressions from sailing my one, coupled with the fact that they have only about half the displacement of comparable boats such as the Cornish Shrimper and the Cape Cutter 19; unlike most cruising yachts, Privateers can capsize, and must always be sailed in such a way that they are not allowed to do so.The latter is down to the seamanship of the skipper and/or (if different) the helmsman.
      >

      > > Oliver
      >

      > > ..... Hi Oliver ...... and your tips for a novice who is about to launch his Privateer are? .....
      >
      > > John ..... Privateer Rosie and nb Charlotte Rose
      >

      > Desperately pushed for time at the moment, but will try to get back to you when the pressure eases.
      >

      > Meanwhile a quick point, dealing only with avoiding capsize.
      >

      > Regard her as a "dinghy with a lid" rather than a yacht, and sail her as a big dinghy. So if wind is such that she starts heeling a lot, consider either easing sheets or shortening sail, the latter primarily by reefing.
      >

      > It is well worth having all your mainsail reefing lines and your main halliard/s led back to the cockpit, so that you can reef without needing to leave the security of the cockpit; if you have roller reefing for the headsails (or can afford to install it) that is also a boon, particularly if you have the big Yankee jib.
      >

      > Read up the information in the designer's instructions (in both the Files and photos section of this site) on use of teh drop keel in particular; it is NOT quite what one would expect - us it primarily as a trim tab, so in normal sailing you should have it very less far down than one would normally expect, but you will still need some. It may pay to mark the rope, so that you have a visual indicator of how much keel you have down.
      >

      > Worth, when possible, taking someone experienced afloat with you until you are sure of both your skills and the boat. Worth also, when opportunities arise, doing one of the many courses of instruction, run by sailing clubs, sailing schools, and others. Welcome to a lifetime of learning; I am still learning, most times I go out, even after a total of well over 50 years on the water ...
      >

      > Don't believe that you can't learn from books; they aren't enough on their own, but there is a wealth of sailing techniques and seamanship that can be learned from books, and then tried out in practice.
      >

      > Apart from that, start gently, keep withi8n your personal limitations, and go out and enjoy!
      >

      > Oliver

    • Show all 12 messages in this topic