435Re: Hello

  • Oliver
    Jul 30, 2011
      --- In privateer20@..., "seannorris65" <seannorris65@...> wrote:

      > I replaced my sails three years ago and when advising the sail maker of my sail habits this is what I told him.
      >
      > -Up to 10 knots full sail.
      > -10 to 15 Knots if I am felling energetic both Jibs and a deep reefed (double reefed main) of if lazy just the the two jibs.
      > -15 to 19 knots the two jibs only
      > -@ 20 knots the boat either stays on the mooring or I use the engine (my preference is to stay on the mooring!).
      >
      > My experience of the Privateer is that she is not a textbook sailing boat. for instance convention for shortening sail on a cutter rig is to take down the inner jib before reefing the main. I tried this but the boat felt dead and lacked power so instead I settled on the double reefing option to shorten sail and I find the boat nicely balanced when this is done. Also it is vital to always have the main sheet whether using a full or reefed main in your hand to dump it quickly if required. I also found that in the wind range 8-12 knots before I shorten sail that she sails quite well with the mainsheet well eased to the point that the main sail from the luff to almost 50% back to the leech is inverted or has a back bubble. It looks aweful but it works!

      Most interesting; I must try that myself.

      I totally agree that the Privateer is not a textbook sailing boat, either in general terms or specifically as a gaff cutter, and it is very much a matter of learning the particular boat.

      For those, like myself, who are more familiar with Beaufort scale than with wind speeds in knots, a translation:

      7-10 knots - force 3
      11-15 knots - force 4
      16-20 knots - force 5

      So:

      -Up to force 3, full sail.
      -Force 4, if feeling energetic both Jibs and a deep reefed (double reefed) main, or if lazy just the the two jibs.
      -Force 5, the two jibs only.
      -Above force 5, the boat either stays on the mooring or use the engine (preference is to stay on the mooring!).

      And:
      Around top of force 3 / bottom of force 4, instead of shortening sail she sails quite well with the mainsheet well eased, as described.