436Re: Hello

  • seannorris65
    Aug 2, 2011
      Oliver, I should point out that Lady Irene is a Bermudian rig so obviously the gaff rigger may behalf differently. On the wind speed I also "moonlight" as a racing crew (less often now through as a semi fit person in the mid 40's is not much use on board most race boats)hence the use of Knts rather than beaufort scale. I measured the windspeeds using a hand held windspeed monitor.

      --- In privateer20@..., "Oliver" <oliver_shaw@...> wrote:

      > --- In privateer20@..., "seannorris65" <seannorris65@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I replaced my sails three years ago and when advising the sail maker of my sail habits this is what I told him.
      > >
      > > -Up to 10 knots full sail.
      > > -10 to 15 Knots if I am felling energetic both Jibs and a deep reefed (double reefed main) of if lazy just the the two jibs.
      > > -15 to 19 knots the two jibs only
      > > -@ 20 knots the boat either stays on the mooring or I use the engine (my preference is to stay on the mooring!).
      > >
      > > My experience of the Privateer is that she is not a textbook sailing boat. for instance convention for shortening sail on a cutter rig is to take down the inner jib before reefing the main. I tried this but the boat felt dead and lacked power so instead I settled on the double reefing option to shorten sail and I find the boat nicely balanced when this is done. Also it is vital to always have the main sheet whether using a full or reefed main in your hand to dump it quickly if required. I also found that in the wind range 8-12 knots before I shorten sail that she sails quite well with the mainsheet well eased to the point that the main sail from the luff to almost 50% back to the leech is inverted or has a back bubble. It looks aweful but it works!
      > >

      > Most interesting; I must try that myself.
      >
      > I totally agree that the Privateer is not a textbook sailing boat, either in general terms or specifically as a gaff cutter, and it is very much a matter of learning the particular boat.
      >
      > For those, like myself, who are more familiar with Beaufort scale than with wind speeds in knots, a translation:
      >
      > 7-10 knots - force 3
      > 11-15 knots - force 4
      > 16-20 knots - force 5
      >
      > So:
      >
      > -Up to force 3, full sail.
      > -Force 4, if feeling energetic both Jibs and a deep reefed (double reefed) main, or if lazy just the the two jibs.
      > -Force 5, the two jibs only.
      > -Above force 5, the boat either stays on the mooring or use the engine (preference is to stay on the mooring!).
      >
      > And:
      > Around top of force 3 / bottom of force 4, instead of shortening sail she sails quite well with the mainsheet well eased, as described.
      >

      > Oliver

    • Show all 12 messages in this topic