505Re: New member

  • chris
    Dec 2, 2011
      --- In privateer20@..., "marksrv6" <mark@...> wrote:

      > Thanks Chris, I thought I might get away with a 2.5hp!
      > What do you think?
      >
      > Mark

      Yes - it might be enough for the Broads - I don't really know anything about conditions there. I think in most circumstances 2.5hp with the right prop would drive the boat along fine, but it wouldn't leave you much of a safety margin for,say, making progress against a strong headwind and tide.

      My mooring is right at the top of an estuary, and one early problem I found with the Privateer was in motoring home against a strong headwind, in shallow water with the keel up. At times I had to use a lot of throttle just to stop the boat being blown uncontrollably off course. I have cured this problem by making a small balancing sail, which sets between the back of the boom and the topping lift, and has the same effect as a mizzen. I'll put a photo of this in the 'Bluebelle' folder, as it completely solved the problem.

      I wonder what other people think re: engine power? Oliver?

      Chris
    • Show all 48 messages in this topic