507Re: New member

  • seannorris65
    Dec 2, 2011
      hi all
      I have a 6 hp tohatsu on my one which came with the boat. As I have my boat in a relatively light trim my own view is that it is too big as the boat seems to reach max speed at just over half trottle. If I had too replace the engine I wo
      uld probably get a 4hp.

      Sean

      --- In privateer20@..., "chris" <spike@...> wrote:

      > --- In privateer20@..., "marksrv6" <mark@> wrote:
      > >

      > > Thanks Chris, I thought I might get away with a 2.5hp!
      > > What do you think?
      > >
      > > Mark
      > >

      > Yes - it might be enough for the Broads - I don't really know anything about conditions there. I think in most circumstances 2.5hp with the right prop would drive the boat along fine, but it wouldn't leave you much of a safety margin for,say, making progress against a strong headwind and tide.
      >
      > My mooring is right at the top of an estuary, and one early problem I found with the Privateer was in motoring home against a strong headwind, in shallow water with the keel up. At times I had to use a lot of throttle just to stop the boat being blown uncontrollably off course. I have cured this problem by making a small balancing sail, which sets between the back of the boom and the topping lift, and has the same effect as a mizzen. I'll put a photo of this in the 'Bluebelle' folder, as it completely solved the problem.
      >
      > I wonder what other people think re: engine power? Oliver?
      >
      > Chris

    • Show all 48 messages in this topic